Personal computing discussed

Moderators: morphine, SecretSquirrel

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Interesting Radeon scuttlebut...

Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:58 am

There some new stories going around that Radeon/AMD has been making chips for specific client and not necessarily for Gamers.
The basic idea is that they created the Radeon RX 400's and Radeon Vega for specific clients such as Apple and then putting a slight spin on it to produce cards for gamers.

reported here:
https://wccftech.com/exclusive-amd-navi ... -cost-zen/
And here:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevang ... a5272124fd

Personally, that sounds really smart to me. Why not have someone else pay for development of your products plus give you a guaranteed customer and good market volume?
Sure it does mean won't have a "halo" card, that does not mean there won't be good value for money once currency miners stop buying up all the cards.
I think Lisa Su is definitely the leader AMD/RTG needs to survive and grow.
Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.0Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon RX 580 8gb / 500gb toshiba ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD

chuckula
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Interesting Radeon scuttlebut...

Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:43 am

Designing a product for a particular customer can be good if that customer is ordering enough product to make it worthwhile.

Frankly I'm not sure if Apple turned out to be a big enough consumer of Vega parts to make it worthwhile considering there are Vega GPUs in only one line of rather expensive desktop Macs and none in notebooks (although Kaby Lake G may change that).

If this is true then it's potentially good news for Navi on 2 fronts: 1. By virtue of being in consoles Sony definitely is a big customer that orders a lot of product. 2. Sony actually wants a graphics architecture that's good at playing games and doesn't give a crap about how well it runs GPU-compute [and that includes mining]. So maybe, just maybe Navi will be a GPU architecture that's actually primarily focused towards graphics (shock I know).
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; GTX-1080 sold and back to hipster IGP!; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Re: Interesting Radeon scuttlebut...

Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:56 am

What I was hoping they would be able to do is develop an MCM so you would have one or two chips for games and 4+ chips for compute needs.
Delving into it bit a more it seems like MCM is not a good fit for graphics work and needs more development time or is just unworkable and you need a monolithic chip to make powerful cards for gaming.
Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.0Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon RX 580 8gb / 500gb toshiba ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD