Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

josephgomes
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

AMD Graphics Card Issue After Latest Windows 10 Update

Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:35 pm

Greetings community,

The problem started after I updated Windows this morning to Windows 10 (64 bit) Version 10.0.16299 Build 16299. After installing, I browsed the web for a little bit after, and an hour or so ago started a game of Heroes of the Storm. The game crashed while loading a game. I booted it back up and it played normally for about 3 minutes with ~160 FPS at max settings, after which both of my monitors switched off (sound was still working fine). I smelled something like plastic burning, and the power button on the computer went solid red. I turned it off with the power button and let it sit for a few minutes while I opened up the tower to take a look at things.

The GPU seemed warm, but not unusually hot. I couldn't confirm whether the fans had been working. The fan on the processor seemed to be fine.

I grabbed a spare HDMI cable and plugged the main monitor into the mobo directly, and looked at some help forums while I downloaded the newest AMD software. Running that brought up an Error 173: AMD Graphics Hardware Was Not Found. I tried three different AMD installations (the main driver software suite, the AMD chipsets, and the more bare-bones Catalyst I believe), all of which bailed out after returning that error.

I then checked all the cables and connections to make sure everything was OK on that front. Haven't found any problems but I'll keep troubleshooting it.

I'm suspecting something with the Win10 update messed with the card and now it's overheated and bricked itself. Any inklings of what I can try to get things working again?

I've pulled out the graphics card and reinserted it plus checked the connections to make sure everything's hooked up properly.

When I plug either monitor into the GPU, it changes from "not connected" to "no signal." Not sure if that helps at all.

I've also run Display Driver Uninstaller and redownloaded AMD software version 18.1.1, but it still won't install, giving me the same Error 173, saying there's no AMD graphics hardware.

Between everything else failing and the brief burnt plastic smell right as it failed last night, I'm suspecting the card itself has been damaged.

chuckula
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: AMD Graphics Card Issue After Latest Windows 10 Update

Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:01 pm

You make this post almost exactly in sync with TR posting this story?

You have all kinds of luck. Unfortunately it's all bad.
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; Officially RX-560... that's right AMD you shills!; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.

Fonbu
Gerbil First Class

Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:00 pm

Definately sounds like the fans stopped spinning after the update. What gpu was it? and model of card? Sounds like the version of windows 10 was not fully compatible with the graphics driver you had installed. I wonder if when any of us other folks do a feature update of windows 10, to install the vary latest display driver prior.
-Ryzen 2700X w Noctua NH-U14S-16GB RAM-Asus Crosshair VI Hero-1080Ti-Sam960EVO 240GB-CrucialM5 480GB-WD2x4TB-CORSAIR RM1000i-Fractal Design Define R5 Black
-Intel i7-7700k w H60-16GB RAM-Crucial MX200&M5'sRAID0 2x240GB-WD1TB-RX590 8GB-Oculus Rift

LostCat

Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:50 pm

The funny part is, 16299 isn't even the current Windows 10 version. And 18.1.1 isn't the current AMD driver.

Even if it is true, damaged hardware has next to nothing to do with updates or drivers.
Meow.

Fonbu
Gerbil First Class

Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:41 pm

LostCat wrote:
The funny part is, 16299 isn't even the current Windows 10 version. And 18.1.1 isn't the current AMD driver.

Even if it is true, damaged hardware has next to nothing to do with updates or drivers.

Your right :-? 16299 is also known as the Fall Creators Update or version 1709). However small a chance that the driver lost control of the fans on the video card?
-Ryzen 2700X w Noctua NH-U14S-16GB RAM-Asus Crosshair VI Hero-1080Ti-Sam960EVO 240GB-CrucialM5 480GB-WD2x4TB-CORSAIR RM1000i-Fractal Design Define R5 Black
-Intel i7-7700k w H60-16GB RAM-Crucial MX200&M5'sRAID0 2x240GB-WD1TB-RX590 8GB-Oculus Rift

LostCat

Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:44 pm

Fonbu wrote:
Your right :-? 16299 is also known as the Fall Creators Update or version 1709). However small a chance that the driver lost control of the fans on the video card?

When given possibilities that range between very likely and almost unheard of, I tend to prefer very likely.

I would guess a power issue or a failed fan fried his card.
Meow.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:46 am

I'm voting for a blown VRM on the GPU card as the cause. It would account for a fried odor and total device failure without obvious evidence of a GPU overheat.

As for the timing, call it coincidence, or else blame the reboot cycle after the update for exposing a failure that was about to happen anyway.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

josephgomes
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:32 pm

Fonbu wrote:
Definately sounds like the fans stopped spinning after the update. What gpu was it? and model of card? Sounds like the version of windows 10 was not fully compatible with the graphics driver you had installed. I wonder if when any of us other folks do a feature update of windows 10, to install the vary latest display driver prior.

thankyou for the response
Last edited by josephgomes on Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

josephgomes
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:33 pm

ludi wrote:
I'm voting for a blown VRM on the GPU card as the cause. It would account for a fried odor and total device failure without obvious evidence of a GPU overheat.

As for the timing, call it coincidence, or else blame the reboot cycle after the update for exposing a failure that was about to happen anyway.

thankyou !
Last edited by josephgomes on Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:57 pm

josephgomes wrote:
ludi wrote:

thankyou !

How old is your card? Is it eligible for a warranty RMA?
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration