Moderators: morphine, SecretSquirrel

Kretschmer
Silver subscriber
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Nvidia Misses Revenue and Earnings, Share Price Drops

Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:36 pm

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/nvidia-q3-slu ... 41665.html

Nvidia (NVDA) reported a big miss on both the top and bottom lines for Q3 after market close on Thursday.

The chipmaker earned $1.84 per share which was weaker than the $1.92 per share that was anticipated, according to analysts polled by Bloomberg.

This is Nvidia’s first EPS miss in 13 quarters. Shares tanked 13% in after-hours trade on Thursday. Revenue also came in worse than expected at $3.18 billion versus consensus of $3.24 billion.

Investors and analysts have been paying close attention to graphics-processing unit (GPU) sales in Q3, as this was the first earnings report since the company launched GPUs. GPU business revenue came in at $2.77 billion, which was up 25% year over year.

“Our introduction of Turing GPUs is a giant leap for computer graphics and AI, bringing the magic of real-time ray tracing to games and the biggest generational performance improvements we have ever delivered,” CEO Jensen Huang said in a statement.

Nvidia shares have been underperforming the broad market in the past year, falling nearly 5% while the S&P 500 (^GSPC) has risen 5% in the same time period. The chip giant is currently in a bear market after hitting an all-time high in early October.

Headline aside, GPU business revenue is up 25% YoY. This suggests that they're not dying but rather fell behind inflated expectations.

chuckula
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Nvidia Misses Revenue and Earnings, Share Price Drops

Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:39 pm

Nvidia is making a buck but its price was way too high to be justified. The same thing happened with AMD even if they are at least making a profit on a regular basis now.

I also sold my AMD stock when it went above $30. Glad I did even if it went up a little more after I sold.
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; GTX-1080 sold and back to hipster IGP!; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.