Personal computing discussed

Moderators: morphine, SecretSquirrel

 
leor
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author
Posts: 4840
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2002 6:34 pm
Location: NYC
Contact:

Titan RTX

Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:39 am

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13668/nv ... top-turing

15% faster for only more than double the price (only more than? that's an odd way to communicate). It's a fully enabled TU102, I wonder if there's a TU100 skulking around out there somewhere. The 24gb of RAM should be nice for content creators out there.

2020 seems like a good year to buy a new GPU - 8k gaming, right? Right? :o
 
Concupiscence
Gerbil Elite
Posts: 587
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:58 am
Location: Dallas area, Texas, USA

Re: Titan RTX

Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:06 pm

Christ, all that money and FP64 performance is still 1/32 that of FP32. Other than people spending cash to buy a status symbol, who's this card for?
Workstation: Core i9 7940x, 32 gigs RAM, Geforce GTX 1070 Ti, Windows 10 Pro
Play: Ryzen 7 1700, 16 gigs RAM, Geforce GTX Titan X (Maxwell), Xubuntu 18.04
 
Krogoth
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder
Posts: 5539
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2003 3:20 pm
Location: somewhere on Core Prime
Contact:

Re: Titan RTX

Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:15 pm

Concupiscence wrote:
Christ, all that money and FP64 performance is still 1/32 that of FP32. Other than people spending cash to buy a status symbol, who's this card for?


Game developers/artists for future DX12 content that need a baseline system for "High/Ultra" settings for gaming rigs of tomorrow. It is also for professionals/prosumer that need something more than a mainstream SKU but Quardo/FirePro are outside the budget.
Gigabyte Z390 AORUS-PRO Coffee Lake R 9700K, 2x8GiB of G.Skill DDR4-3600, Sapphire RX Vega 64, Corsair CX-750M V2 and Fractal Define R4 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B
 
K-L-Waster
Gerbil XP
Posts: 315
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:10 pm
Location: Hmmm, I was *here* a second ago...

Re: Titan RTX

Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:23 pm

Concupiscence wrote:
Christ, all that money and FP64 performance is still 1/32 that of FP32. Other than people spending cash to buy a status symbol, who's this card for?


As TR's own article about it says, "AI researchers have emerged as the real domain of Titan cards in recent years, and along with that 24 GB of RAM for massive data sets, those folks should find plenty to like in this card."

Inevitably there'll be a few folks with more money than brain cells who get it for gaming e-peen, but that's not where it's aimed.
Main System: i7-8700K, ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-E, 16 GB DDR4 3200 RAM, MSI GTX 1080 TI, 1 TB CRUCIAL MX500, Corsair 550D

HTPC: I5-4460, ASUS H97M-E, 8 GB RAM, GTX 970, CRUCIAL 256GB MX100, SILVERSTONE GD09B
 
Concupiscence
Gerbil Elite
Posts: 587
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:58 am
Location: Dallas area, Texas, USA

Re: Titan RTX

Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:27 pm

K-L-Waster wrote:
Concupiscence wrote:
Christ, all that money and FP64 performance is still 1/32 that of FP32. Other than people spending cash to buy a status symbol, who's this card for?


As TR's own article about it says, "AI researchers have emerged as the real domain of Titan cards in recent years, and along with that 24 GB of RAM for massive data sets, those folks should find plenty to like in this card."

Inevitably there'll be a few folks with more money than brain cells who get it for gaming e-peen, but that's not where it's aimed.


You and Krogoth both give good, sensible answers. That makes sense.
Workstation: Core i9 7940x, 32 gigs RAM, Geforce GTX 1070 Ti, Windows 10 Pro
Play: Ryzen 7 1700, 16 gigs RAM, Geforce GTX Titan X (Maxwell), Xubuntu 18.04
 
leor
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author
Posts: 4840
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2002 6:34 pm
Location: NYC
Contact:

Re: Titan RTX

Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:25 pm

From my comment on the front page:

480: $500
580: $500
680: $500
780: $650
780 Ti: $700
980: $550
980 Ti: $650
-------------------------------------------
1070 - $379
1080 - $549
1080 Ti - $699
Titan XP - $1,200

2070 - $499
2080 - $799
2080 Ti - $999 (really $1,199)
Titan RTX $2,499

I remember when the y first started charging 500 dollars. Scott in the review said "if you don't mind spending half a thousand dollars on the fastest GPU out there," to drive home just how expensive these things were. The sad thing is we're not getting more value, the jumps from generation to generation are pretty much what they've always been.
 
Kretschmer
Silver subscriber
Gerbil XP
Posts: 457
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:36 am

Re: Titan RTX

Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:09 pm

leor wrote:
The sad thing is we're not getting more value, the jumps from generation to generation are pretty much what they've always been.


Well you'd buy a 480 in 2010 to play a game at 720p or 1080p at 60FPS or below.

Now we buy big cards to run at 1440P or above at 100+ FPS with other goodies like HDR or strobing. Soon we may be looking to drive VR headsets for even more immersion.

Price may have gone up, but these cards are also doing an order of magnitude more work than in 2010, too.
 
Topinio
Gerbil Jedi
Posts: 1586
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:28 am
Location: London

Re: Titan RTX

Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:02 pm

leor wrote:
From my comment on the front page:

[...]

I remember when the y first started charging 500 dollars. Scott in the review said "if you don't mind spending half a thousand dollars on the fastest GPU out there," to drive home just how expensive these things were. The sad thing is we're not getting more value, the jumps from generation to generation are pretty much what they've always been.

Top card from NVIDIA at time of introduction (unified shader era):

£475 GeForce 8800 GTX
£500 GeForce 8800 Ultra
£450 GeForce GTX 280
£315 GeForce GTX 285
£400 GeForce GTX 480
£400 GeForce GTX 580
£420 GeForce GTX 680
£900 GeForce GTX Titan
£785 GeForce GTX Titan Black
£430 GeForce GTX 980
£880 GeForce GTX Titan X
£620 GeForce GTX 1080
£1,100 Titan X
£700 GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
£1,160 Titan Xp
£2,700 Titan V
£1,100 GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FE
£2,400 . Titan RTX


Image
Desktop: E3-1270 v5, X11SAT-F, 32GB, RX Vega 56, 500GB Crucial P1, 2TB Ultrastar, Xonar DGX, XL2730Z + G2420HDB
HTPC: i5-2500K, DH67GD, 6GB, RX 580, 250GB MX500, 1.5TB Barracuda
Laptop: MacBook6,1
 
leor
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author
Posts: 4840
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2002 6:34 pm
Location: NYC
Contact:

Re: Titan RTX

Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:30 pm

Kretschmer wrote:
leor wrote:
The sad thing is we're not getting more value, the jumps from generation to generation are pretty much what they've always been.


Well you'd buy a 480 in 2010 to play a game at 720p or 1080p at 60FPS or below.

Now we buy big cards to run at 1440P or above at 100+ FPS with other goodies like HDR or strobing. Soon we may be looking to drive VR headsets for even more immersion.

Price may have gone up, but these cards are also doing an order of magnitude more work than in 2010, too.

There's always been the next new area of tech that makes things more immersive, no company has ever chosen to gouge their customers with this level of ruthlessness though. On top of that it's not even tech anyone can enjoy yet (and by enjoy, I mean the minor stuff that's just starting to trickle our isn't exactly game changing, if you pardon the pun).

Nice graph Topinio.
 
Kretschmer
Silver subscriber
Gerbil XP
Posts: 457
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:36 am

Re: Titan RTX

Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:59 pm

Oh, I'm not defending the RTX pricing. My 1080Ti is chuckling at the poor value of these successor cards. I doubt that Nvidia is charging this much just to be evil, so there may be yield bottlenecks for this cutting-edge tech.
 
leor
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author
Posts: 4840
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2002 6:34 pm
Location: NYC
Contact:

Re: Titan RTX

Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:06 pm

Kretschmer wrote:
Oh, I'm not defending the RTX pricing. My 1080Ti is chuckling at the poor value of these successor cards. I doubt that Nvidia is charging this much just to be evil, so there may be yield bottlenecks for this cutting-edge tech.

Doesn’t have to be evil, greed is also a thing ;-)
 
Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God
Posts: 22387
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:53 pm
Location: Orlando, FL
Contact:

Re: Titan RTX

Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:30 am

leor wrote:
Kretschmer wrote:
Oh, I'm not defending the RTX pricing. My 1080Ti is chuckling at the poor value of these successor cards. I doubt that Nvidia is charging this much just to be evil, so there may be yield bottlenecks for this cutting-edge tech.

Doesn’t have to be evil, greed is also a thing ;-)

If people will pay it *shrug* It is simple supply/demand curves.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Redocbew, synthtel2 and 3 guests