Personal computing discussed

Moderators: morphine, SecretSquirrel

scott784
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

How do i obtain 144Hz refresh rate on my new Asus Monitor?

Sun May 19, 2019 9:15 pm

I just bought an Asus VG248 24 inch monitor today at BB. Although the monitor came with a dual link DVI cable, the BB employee who sold me the monitor, said I would be better off using a new HDMI cable. He then mentioned though that I'd have to go through the control panel for my MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 Ti graphics card, or change the settings through Windows 10 directly because he mentioned (in the store) that this monitor would default to 60Hz refresh rate even though it is capable of a 144Hz refresh rate. I thought it was no big deal and that I would take care of that once I got it hooked up.

The problem is, when I attempted to change the refresh settings (tried both GeForce Experience app and Windows 10 settings) all I get is a maximum of 60Hz refresh rate. What is up with this? My graphics card is an older one, but I would think that should make no difference as it relates to this refresh rate. Do I need to use the dual link DVI cable that came with the monitor instead? And if so, are there any limiting factors of using the dual link DVI cable instead of HDMI?

Thanks for any feedback here.

Scott

venfare
Gerbil In Training

Re: How do i obtain 144Hz refresh rate on my new Asus Monitor?

Sun May 19, 2019 10:03 pm

Did you try NVIDIA control panel?

On the left side list click Display -> Change Resolution

You need to scroll down the resolution box until you see 'PC', then select the 1920x1080. It will give you the highest refresh rate available.

defaultluser
Gerbil

Sun May 19, 2019 10:15 pm

This spec page suggests the HDMI port on that monitor only supports 60hz.

https://www.asus.com/us/Monitors/VG248QE/

You will need Dual-link DVI or DisplayPort.

To activate 144Hz function (in 2D mode), both DisplayPort (or Dual-link DVI) and a selected graphics card with the latest driver are required. Please kindly contact the service center of your graphics cards companies for further technical supports.

Never trust the salespeople at Best Buy. They probably just wanted to sell you an overpriced HDMI cable.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Sun May 19, 2019 10:48 pm

Agreed. Take back the cable and get a DisplayPort cable

NovusBogus
Silver subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun May 19, 2019 11:10 pm

That does rather sound like something that Best Buy would do.

Assuming you're doing this for gaming, even light gaming, you should really look into getting a better graphics card before messing with cables and max refresh rate. 650 Ti was great in 2012 but it's simply not up to pushing >100 Hz for anything made this decade. Then use the DVI-D DL cable or Displayport 1.2 or later. If you take the DP route try to get one that's VESA certified because a lot of cables are not actually very good. It's less of a problem with DP 1.2 which you need, but a very big deal for DP 1.4 (4K/8K, 1440p@144Hz). HDMI is a dead end for high throughput, fine for driving stuff like DVD players and game consoles with fan-favorite $5 Monoprice cables but it's not where you want to be looking for the future.

scott784
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Sun May 19, 2019 11:44 pm

I'll have to play with this more tomorrow after work. It sounds like HDMI is the wrong choice (in general) here. And I will need to use the DVI dual link cable. I'm not even sure this old card has a display port on the back without dragging it out from the wall again. Any thoughts here (besides incompetency) as to why BB led me into buying the HDMI cable? I did try control panel within WIN10 itself and Nivida's control panel. No dice! No options to configure the refresh rate beyond 60....at least not with the current HDMI cable attached to it.

As for the monitor, I bought it to replace my old one and to also keep when I purchase a new rig. As for my current PC, it's an old one for sure that's had hardware upgrades many times over during its lifespan of 12 years. It's a Dell XPS 410, Intel Quad Core at 2.4 Ghz, SSD, 8GB RAM, and a 600W PSU. I never would've thought I would've had it so many years, but with all the upgrades, it still runs great for general computing needs. The SSD upgrade I did 5 years ago was probably the absolute best to breath life into it. My guess it that it's like a low end i5 machine and *still* not ready for the graveyard!

Presumably with some newer graphics cards being less demanding on the systems now days, what could this rig handle? It's an oldie - but sure has been a good one. I paid roughly $2,000 for it new back in 2007. I don't think I'd want to spend the money unless I could get a good graphics card and one that I could take with me into a new PC (when I get ready for that). My case is BTX and with that outdated cooling system, I can't have anything that would be prone to overheat; and nothing too large either. But the size and operation of the 650 ti haven't caused one bit of problem inside the original case.

But I am not in the market right now to buy an entirely new system as I just moved into a new home over a year ago and have had lots of expenses with that. This is my second hand PC. My newer laptap has been my primary use in recent years. Any thoughts on DVI dual link cables versus HDMI (generally speaking)? I guess the DVI dual link still provides 1080p, correct? And as for a video card, any suggestions for this rig?

Thanks.

PS if anyone remembers - the time era when this PC launched was right 'after' all the big Intel and AMD processor wars of the early 2000's. That's why I've always felt anyone who had purchased a PC from mid June/July 2006 going forward (around the time the Intel Core 2 Duo launched) (certainly not before that time) was on the right side of the technology curve. So for all the money I spent buying the system new - $2,000.... in 2007 - it's had a long life for sure - and although certainly not up to speed with the latest games - it remains a very capable computer for every day needs especially with all its hardware upgrades since that time.

defaultluser
Gerbil

Mon May 20, 2019 12:22 am

scott784 wrote:
As for the monitor, I bought it to replace my old one and to also keep when I purchase a new rig. As for my current PC, it's an old one for sure that's had hardware upgrades many times over during its lifespan of 12 years. It's a Dell XPS 410, Intel Quad Core at 2.4 Ghz, SSD, 8GB RAM, and a 600W PSU. I never would've thought I would've had it so many years, but with all the upgrades, it still runs great for general computing needs. The SSD upgrade I did 5 years ago was probably the absolute best to breath life into it. My guess it that it's like a low end i5 machine and *still* not ready for the graveyard!

Presumably with some newer graphics cards being less demanding on the systems now days, what could this rig handle? It's an oldie - but sure has been a good one. I paid roughly $2,000 for it new back in 2007. I don't think I'd want to spend the money unless I could get a good graphics card and one that I could take with me into a new PC (when I get ready for that). My case is BTX and with that outdated cooling system, I can't have anything that would be prone to overheat; and nothing too large either. But the size and operation of the 650 ti haven't caused one bit of problem inside the original case.

Your system has hit the limits, in terms of upgradability. You can't really upgrade the graphics card, and expect the rest of your system to keep up.

Also, if you're going to spend any amount of money on a GPU upgrade, you might as well spend a little more on a whole system upgrade.

Thanks to the AMD processor wars, the cost of a gaming system has dropped to $500 NEW. This HP has a 1700 with 16GB ram and a RX 550 graphics card. The card has a DisplayPort output, and should be a little faster than your current video card.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-Pavilion- ... /372101486
Last edited by defaultluser on Mon May 20, 2019 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bhoslebhai
Gerbil In Training

Mon May 20, 2019 12:23 am

That monitor is HDMI1.4 . Your graphics card might not be HDMI 2.0 too to support 120hz(max) You need a HDMI 2.0 Monitor + a HDMI 2.0 GPU In order to top out at 120 hz which is the limit hdm i2.0 can offer

NovusBogus
Silver subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon May 20, 2019 1:59 am

Core2Quad?!?! Jeebus, that's a dinosaur...a 650 Ti is indeed about as good as it gets for that era, and none of the core components is what you want for pushing the envelope on performance. My suggestion is to return the overpriced HDMI cable on general principle, use the DVI cable at 60 Hz to avoid weird behavior, and save up for a new system. If you're on a tight budget, my standing recommendation is to check out off-lease corporate workstations. Or if you want to buy or build new, $900 gets a system that will demolish anything built before 2013. You may want to go bigger if you're chasing frames, though. Mainstream components are certainly good enough for mainstream gaming but 144 Hz means trying to get the system to do about twice as much work; it's the last frontier of PC enthusiast graphics and will heavily stress CPU, GPU and RAM.

If I was gonna do it I'd be looking at an i5-8600K, GTX 2070 or Radeon Vega/VII and some pretty good RAM.

demolition
Gerbil First Class

Mon May 20, 2019 2:31 am

It seems that everyone here is assuming that the OP wants 144 Hz for gaming although it is not mentioned anywhere..

For plain 2D/desktop usage there is a big advantage in going 120+ Hz instead of the usual 60 Hz refresh rate. After I have gotten used to running 120 Hz on my desktop at home, all 60 Hz systems seems very sluggish to me. If you think 60 Hz refresh is good enough for desktop/web, then I'd guess that you'd probably not really tried 120 Hz or higher on a good monitor yet. :-)

Of course, running 120+ Hz and some variable sync tech is a major benefit for gaming as most people have realized by now, so it seems like a good idea to go for a high refresh monitor even if your current system will not be able to benefit from higher than 60 Hz in 3D games.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Mon May 20, 2019 6:37 am

Depending on what you want to do with that PC, I'd be tempted to split it up into parts and ebay them. As a machine it's not worth much any more but as individual components (CPU, board, GPU) you might find someone willing to buy them to repair or upgrade their own 15-year-old PC.

If you want to game at 144Hz, the suggestion to pick up a cheap new build is wise. The $500 link a few posts up is as good a start as any.

If you just want to use a 2D desktop at 144Hz, you should be okay to buy a graphics card that uses current driver architecture - something cheap and in the ballpark of your 650Ti but still using the latest unified driver (rather than legacy drivers) should do the trick.

I think cards that qualify would be:
  • AMD R7 260, R7 260X, R7 360 or R9 360 (2nd Gen GCN architecture, supports freesync and current displayport standards)
  • AMD RX 460, RX 550, RX560 (4th Gen GCN architecture)
  • Nvidia GT 1030, GTX 1050 (cheapest Pascal architecture that supports Windows 10 Modern Driver standards and Freesync compatibility)

None of those cards produce as much heat as a 650 Ti and most of them match or exceed the performance, whilst coming with more modern drivers and output connectors. I wouldn't spend too much on upgrading the graphics card in a machine that old though; If you can spare $500 a new build makes a whole lot more sense than dumping good money into a machine running DDR2 that's nearly-impossible to buy spare parts for now.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

scott784
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Mon May 20, 2019 7:12 am

Yes, that's what I figured (about the PC). It's really not worth spending more money on it. Not exactly a modern day gaming rig in today's world. But it's okay for now until I can spend the $$ on a new rig. Lots of money spent on the new house over the last year so that's why I've held off.

But I would still like to solve the mystery about the refresh rate on this new monitor. I don't know why it's stuck at 60Hz refresh rate just because I am using HDMI. 'll look into it more after work today. Let me know if other thoughts about the monitor refresh rate. Thanks for the posts.

defaultluser
Gerbil

Mon May 20, 2019 8:47 am

scott784 wrote:
Yes, that's what I figured (about the PC). It's really not worth spending more money on it. Not exactly a modern day gaming rig in today's world. But it's okay for now until I can spend the $$ on a new rig. Lots of money spent on the new house over the last year so that's why I've held off.

But I would still like to solve the mystery about the refresh rate on this new monitor. I don't know why it's stuck at 60Hz refresh rate just because I am using HDMI. 'll look into it more after work today. Let me know if other thoughts about the monitor refresh rate. Thanks for the posts.

It's not a mystery.

HDMI has always been a second-class-citizen on PC, which is why the first generation of these monitors only shipped with Dual-Link DVI and HDMI, and only the DVI worked at 144hz.

The second-generation adds the new DisplayPort, but continues to only offer HDMI at 60hz, to save on costs (because it's an entry-level model). The manufacturer would rather you not know about this, so it's usually not even publicly advertised. That is why it's buried at the footnote at the end of a long spec sheet I linked above.

Try it with the included DVI cable. Your 650 Ti likely has two DVI outputs, each capable of dual-link.

You don't need a new video card until you can't play a new game. Kepler can handle modern video formats, like HDMI 1.4, and some cards offer DisplayPort.
Last edited by defaultluser on Mon May 20, 2019 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Krogoth
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder

Mon May 20, 2019 8:59 am

HDMI isn't a "second-class citizen" though. It is an interface designed with A/V equipment in mind and it had effectively replaced the old S-Video, component and composite ports found on older GPUs.
Gigabyte Z390 AORUS-PRO Coffee Lake R 9700K, 2x8GiB of G.Skill DDR4-3600, Sapphire RX Vega 64, Corsair CX-750M V2 and Fractal Define R4 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

defaultluser
Gerbil

Mon May 20, 2019 9:06 am

Krogoth wrote:
HDMI isn't a "second-class citizen" though. It is an interface designed with A/V equipment in mind and it had effectively replaced the old S-Video, component and composite ports found on older GPUs.

Not on entry-level monitors like this one. HDMI 1.4/2.0 support has only permeated for stuff that launches at $400 and higher. Which is why I say, it's a second-class citizen on PC (most monitor sales are lower-end).

The 1080p 144hz monitor industry is bypassing HDM 1.4I and headed straight for DisplayPort. I'm sure you can find exceptions to hat rule, but this is not one of them. It's going to be another few years before they start ditching dual-link DVI, and moving on to HDMI 1.4.

scott784
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Mon May 20, 2019 9:06 pm

defaultluser wrote:
This spec page suggests the HDMI port on that monitor only supports 60hz.

https://www.asus.com/us/Monitors/VG248QE/

You will need Dual-link DVI or DisplayPort.

To activate 144Hz function (in 2D mode), both DisplayPort (or Dual-link DVI) and a selected graphics card with the latest driver are required. Please kindly contact the service center of your graphics cards companies for further technical supports.

Never trust the salespeople at Best Buy. They probably just wanted to sell you an overpriced HDMI cable.

Yes, that's correct about the BB people. In fact, I usually buy accessories for anything electronic on amazon or sometimes places like newegg.

And you are exactly right about the need to use DisplayPort or Dual-link DVI. As soon as I plugged in the Dual-link DVI cable (that came with the monitor), I was instantly able to change the refresh settings all the way up to 144Hz.

scott784
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Mon May 20, 2019 9:51 pm

Krogoth wrote:

Yes, it's interesting how it so effectively replaced S-Video and composite ports found on A/V equipment in the early 2000's. I guess most of us remember those days; and HDMI was certainly a welcomed change and also simplified things greatly with A/V equipment! It was definitely a welcome change for me (with A/V equipment). It's ironic though, as defaultuser stated, that HDMI is more or less a "second class citizen" when it comes to PC monitors. Not that it necessarily had to be that way - but apparently just a choice the manufacturers have made with PC monitors.

There's one thing that I've thought about (and don't like about HDMI cables), there's been so many versions of it through the years, that I highly doubt the average consumer can even keep up with what versions of HDMI cables they have in their home. It's not like these cables are all nicely labeled for anyone to be able to immediately know the difference between one version of HDMI versus another. Although, if your local cable company were to leave one with you...I suppose it would be of the lowest quality.

scott784
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Mon May 20, 2019 10:16 pm

defaultluser wrote:
[/quote] You don't need a new video card until you can't play a new game. Kepler can handle modern video formats, like HDMI 1.4, and some cards offer DisplayPort.[/quote]

Yes, I agree. I think a new video card would be a waste of money on this older PC. I'm only a light gamer so it's not been a big inconvenience for me having a late 2012 era video card. I have a newer laptop that I use for my primary use. But there's something I still really like about desktops. And when I can justify the expense, I will probably invest in a new PC that is very capable of playing any games I want.

But for the time being though, I am going to manage with what I've got due to all the expenses moving into my new home. I only purchased the monitor because I needed to replace the one I had been using for many years and also wanted something a bit larger. I will say (aside from modern gaming), this PC (itself) is very snappy considering the computer itself is 12 years old (not considering the hardware upgrades through the years). It jumps to the desktop from a cold start in no time, loads web pages almost instantly, is great for utubing or watching movies, running my ms office applications, etc. One of the best upgrades I ever did to it (several years back) was installing a SSD. So while not a modern day gaming machine, it's not a piece of junk either.

But the best part is, I've got a new monitor that I can easily use on a new PC going forward.

NovusBogus
Silver subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue May 21, 2019 8:20 pm

HDMI vs. DP is largely a matter of support base; HDMI was developed by a consortium of A/V equipment makers whereas DP was developed by the much more PC-centric VESA organization. Neither one has any incentive to wage economic warfare so the two formats coexist with little drama.

JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Tue May 21, 2019 8:50 pm

With an NVidia-based card of that era (2012), it's possible that only one of the DVI-D ports supports dual-link for higher than 1920x1200@60Hz. If your card has just one DVI-D port, you're probably okay.

Generally, I'd suggest using the latest version of DisplayPort that you can, if you have that option. It looks like your card may have DVI + HDMI 1.4 + analog VGA (d-SUB).

The biggest problem with using a card that old is that driver support has been discontinued.
i7-9700K, NH-D15, Z390M Pro4, 32 GiB, RX Vega64, Define Mini-C, SSR-850PX, C32HG70+U2410, RK-9000BR, MX518

scott784
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Tue May 21, 2019 10:34 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
The biggest problem with using a card that old is that driver support has been discontinued.

Actually, it does show a newer driver was installed. It's version 26.21.14.3064 provided by Nvidia dated 05/05/19.

scott784
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Tue May 21, 2019 10:41 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
With an NVidia-based card of that era (2012), it's possible that only one of the DVI-D ports supports dual-link for higher than 1920x1200@60Hz. If your card has just one DVI-D port, you're probably okay. Generally, I'd suggest using the latest version of DisplayPort that you can, if you have that option. It looks like your card may have DVI + HDMI 1.4 + analog VGA (d-SUB).

I don't see any option for DisplayPort on the card. But it does have just one DVI-D port along with the HDMI and VGA. I think I am okay using the DVI-D port.