Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

bitcat70
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Using TV's with computers

Thu May 23, 2019 11:02 am

Hi!
Are there TV's that have a computer display mode that would bypass their image processing circuitry? In essence making them huge computer monitors? Something in the 50-65 inch size.

Pagey
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Using TV's with computers

Thu May 23, 2019 11:07 am

Most modern TVs will now, by default, or via their software configuration allow for proper display (e.g., RGB full range, no overscan, etc.) of an image from a computer's GPU. Some are of course better than others, but a good place to get reviews is rtings.com, which will have a section in each TV's review covering input lag and what resolutions/signal formats each HDMI input will accept.

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Thu May 23, 2019 12:00 pm

bitcat70 wrote:
Hi!
Are there TV's that have a computer display mode that would bypass their image processing circuitry? In essence making them huge computer monitors? Something in the 50-65 inch size.
Yes my (over 10 year old) 26" Toshiba REGZA TV has a PC mode (which sucks by they way being only 1024 x 768). But my laptop has an HDMI out connector and that lets me use the TV as a giant monitor at true 1080P.
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | Win7 Pro

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Thu May 23, 2019 12:19 pm

Any tv with "gaming mode" tends to have good enough input latency to not be annoying. My 40" Samsung is technically a TV and it's an excellent gaming monitor for cheap.
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

Pagey
Gerbil Jedi

Thu May 23, 2019 1:28 pm

Another thing I've found since I've transitioned to using TVs as monitors: the "PC Mode" can still have really bad picture quality. Now, with that said, let me elaborate a little further - depending on the manufacturer and model, the "PC Mode" setting can do anything from 1.) simply change the color "temperature" to a cooler setting (a cool or blue push to the whites); 2.) change the acceptable RGB range from limited (15-235) to full (0-255); or 3.) some crazy combination of 1/2 to anything in between and then some.

Generally what I do is to hook up the TV to a Blu-ray player and load up the free BT.709 calibration disc you can download from www.avsforum.com and dial in the basics like brightness, contrast, and color. Then, I manually disable each of the "image processing" settings in the TV's software menu (e.g, turn off the backlight dimming/ambient light sensor; turn off any "digital clean view" and "MPEG noise reduction"; make sure it's set to 1:1 pixel mapping to eliminate any overscan; etc.). On Vizio TVs, for example, I find the "normal" color temperature to be the most accurate AND the most pleasing/natural looking (Vizio's "PC Mode" temperature has a horrible blue push that will make you think of an Arctic glacier under a clear sky). For Samsung TVs, most review sites recommend the "Warm 2" color setting/temperature, as for whatever reason, this setting on Samsungs will generally get you close to the D65 white point that modern displays are calibrated for.

So, short story long, do yourself a favor and play around with the settings. Don't just kick the TV into "PC Mode" and assume you are getting the best and/or most accurate settings. I stress that my experience is biased towards Vizio TVs (I have 3 that I use for monitors), and each manufacturer's settings are different and do different things.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Thu May 23, 2019 1:35 pm

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

Everything you need to get your monitor pretty well calibrated from a brightness/contrast/sharpness perspective.
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu May 23, 2019 2:33 pm

bitcat70 wrote:
Hi!

I have a couple of TCL TVs that have specific PC modes including full 4:4:4 color formatting if you choose PC as the input type. One is a very low-end 40S325 (1080p 40") and the other is a more midrange 55P605 (4K 55"). Both have VA panels and around 14-15ms of input latency in PC mode.

RTings has a review of the 55P607, which is my TV except with an RF remote, where mine has infrared. https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/p ... rison_1799

(edit: according to the RTings review, 4:4:4 works in any mode, not just PC)
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Philldoe
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu May 23, 2019 3:43 pm

I've been doing this since 2012. Stick with LG. Even their cheap-o 4k HDR TV's can push 4k 60hz or 1080p 120hz both on RGB Full modes. My current model will even do 10-bit at 1080p. The Frame interpolation that they do can be turned off easily as well. The more expensive models come factory calibrated IIRC.
Fastfreak39: I feel like they should change the phrase "jumping on the band wagon" to "sailing on the pirate ship"

Ifalna
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu May 23, 2019 3:46 pm

bitcat70 wrote:
Hi!

Yup, running a Sony XF90 55" 4K screen since last November. Suffice it to say, that it is very unlikely that I will ever go back to PC monitors.
The backbone of modern industrial society is, and for the foreseeable future will be, the use of electrical Power.