Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

Omniman
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

6 Pin to 8 Pin Power Converter

Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:30 pm

I was given an HP Z420 workstation for free and was hoping to make it into a second gaming workstation since I have a spare Geforce GTX1060. The downside is I noticed the Z420's power supply only has two 6 pin PCI-E power connectors and not the single 8 pin I need for the card. It's a 600 Watt power supply so it's pretty beefy but would a 6 pin to 8 pin converter really work? It would be nice to just get a converter and not buy a new power supply for it especially as I would have to do some customizing to make it fit properly.
Intel i7-7700, MSI Trident, 32GB DDR4 2133mhz, Geforce 1060GTX, and Samsung Evo 1TB.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Re: 6 Pin to 8 Pin Power Converter

Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:45 pm

6 to 8 pin adapters pose no electrical problem, as all of the wires in both are stressed far below the allowable electrical code ampacity limits for the gauge of wire they use.
Imagine a world with no hypothetical questions.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:37 am

For PCIe power connectors the limiting factor is actually the current carrying capacity of the contacts in the connectors, not the wiring. You should still be OK with the adapter, but I'd be a little leery of overclocking the GPU without replacing the PSU.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

blahsaysblah
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:33 pm

Omniman wrote:
I was given an HP Z420 workstation for free and was hoping to make it into a second gaming workstation since I have a spare Geforce GTX1060. The downside is I noticed the Z420's power supply only has two 6 pin PCI-E power connectors and not the single 8 pin I need for the card. It's a 600 Watt power supply so it's pretty beefy but would a 6 pin to 8 pin converter really work? It would be nice to just get a converter and not buy a new power supply for it especially as I would have to do some customizing to make it fit properly.

Check your 6 pin connectors for three yellow wires. If it does, it is safe to use a 6 to 8 pin converter. The three holes on opposite side of the retention clip would be the 12v lines. Technically the middle hole could be not filled. Always is though.

Just check how much power is allowed on the 12v rail(s). There should be a sticker on side of power supply. While you have a 600 Watt, it may be a weird one that has a ton of that 600W for the 3v/5v rails for a storage heavy workstation instead of majority for 12v rail(s). So add your CPU + GPU power usage and make sure its under that number. However, the GTX 1060 power usage should be well within not even bothering to check.

It's been a while since i created my own power cables(never had to replace them so far ¯\_(ツ)_/¯), but ask if you have questions.

Omniman
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:27 am

blahsaysblah wrote:
Omniman wrote:

Check your 6 pin connectors for three yellow wires. If it does, it is safe to use a 6 to 8 pin converter. The three holes on opposite side of the retention clip would be the 12v lines. Technically the middle hole could be not filled. Always is though.

Just check how much power is allowed on the 12v rail(s). There should be a sticker on side of power supply. While you have a 600 Watt, it may be a weird one that has a ton of that 600W for the 3v/5v rails for a storage heavy workstation instead of majority for 12v rail(s). So add your CPU + GPU power usage and make sure its under that number. However, the GTX 1060 power usage should be well within not even bothering to check.

It's been a while since i created my own power cables(never had to replace them so far ¯\_(ツ)_/¯), but ask if you have questions.

Naturally, the good ol' HP OEM power supply just has black for every wire :( . I'm just going to hope for the best. Thank you everyone for the input!
Intel i7-7700, MSI Trident, 32GB DDR4 2133mhz, Geforce 1060GTX, and Samsung Evo 1TB.