Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

chuckula
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Radeon VII Goes to an ELO Concert!

Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:40 pm

So this is so great! Radeon VII -- being the fastest selling card in AMD freakin' history since its glorious launch on February 7 -- is getting to go to an ELO concert! Lisa Su sure is a Sweet Talkin' Woman to move so many units in such a short time!

Just look at all the articles that proudly announce how the merely 5 month old Radeon VII is going to be rocking on-stage with ELO!

https://hexus.net/business/news/compone ... -end-life/
https://pcper.com/2019/07/report-amd-ra ... continued/
https://www.game-debate.com/news/27392/ ... 80-anymore
https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd-r ... -life.html

I'm so excited at this news that I Can't Get It Out of My Head! Let's call all our friends on the Telephone Line and ask Do Ya wanna go to the concert?

I'm getting backstage passes so I == INTERRUPTION WITH LOUD WHISPERING TO CHUCKULA ==

Uh... well I'm about to Turn to Stone over this news. Apparently Radeon VII isn't going to an ELO concert since it's EOL not ELO. Man, what a bomb that Mr. Blue Sky dropped on us there!

And here we thought Radeon VII would be a Livin' Thing for years to come!
I think a certain AMD CEO is acting like an Evil Woman. Come on, Don't Bring Me Down.... SU!
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; Officially RX-560... that's right AMD you shills!; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.

Waco
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: Radeon VII Goes to an ELO Concert!

Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:10 pm

It was always going to be a short-term niche product as it was basically selling for peanuts to compete at all costs. I'm glad I nabbed one, under water they're even more impressive.

//posting from my new 3900X build :)
Desktop: X570 Gaming X | 3900X | 32 GB | Alphacool Eisblock Radeon VII | Heatkiller R3 | Samsung 4K 40" | 1 TB SX8200 Pro + 2 TB 660p + 2 TB SATA SSD
NAS: 1950X | Designare EX | 32 GB ECC | 7x8 TB RAIDZ2 | 8x2 TB RAID10 | FreeNAS | ZFS | LSI SAS

Yan
Gerbil XP

Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:33 pm

I'd like to propose chuckula for "speedy deletion".

Fonbu
Gerbil First Class

Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:26 pm

With the End of Life, it just was a short lived concert. A one hit wonder. Going out in silence as if put on the classic playlist for evermore.
R.I.P Radeon VII!
-Ryzen 2700X w Noctua NH-U14S-16GB RAM-Asus Crosshair VI Hero-1080Ti-Sam960EVO 240GB-CrucialM5 480GB-WD2x4TB-CORSAIR RM1000i-Fractal Design Define R5 Black
-Intel i7-7700k w H60-16GB RAM-Crucial MX200&M5'sRAID0 2x240GB-WD1TB-RX590 8GB-Oculus Rift

NTMBK
Gerbil XP

Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:44 am

Not a surprise- it was only viable because the RTX cards were hilariously overpriced.

The Egg

Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:20 am

I don't think anyone expected it to be more than a stopgap. AMD's own Navi 10 is drawing close enough at $399 that it's no longer viable. If retailers somehow managed to sell the majority of their inventory, I'd consider it a success.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:43 am

It's just Vega64 with 16GB.

It never held the performance crown, it's hot, noisy, power-hungry, and was dated/doomed before it even launched.

The reason it sells is because 16GB HBM2 undercuts all the Quadros and RadeonPros that heavy compute users need. AMD had it on sale solely to serve as a Halo product until the 5700XT came along, and now that the 5700XT is available, Radeon VII is actually hurting AMD's RadeonPro line by existing.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

DragonDaddyBear
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:12 am

I'm kinda surprised they didn't keep it around. Nvidia has the pro-sumer grade Titan that is geared to be a tweener between gaming and professional workloads. This sounds like a good way to hit that market. The VII was very good at compute workloads. The 5700, well, it's a bit of a mess at the moment, but I wouldn't be shocked if it's not any better than previous generations.

Waco
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:25 am

I doubt AMD was making much, if anything, selling the VII though.
Desktop: X570 Gaming X | 3900X | 32 GB | Alphacool Eisblock Radeon VII | Heatkiller R3 | Samsung 4K 40" | 1 TB SX8200 Pro + 2 TB 660p + 2 TB SATA SSD
NAS: 1950X | Designare EX | 32 GB ECC | 7x8 TB RAIDZ2 | 8x2 TB RAID10 | FreeNAS | ZFS | LSI SAS

The Egg

Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:33 am

I've got to wonder if it was done in part to get some hands-on experience at 7nm before prime-time.

Waco
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:06 am

They were already making the Radeon Instinct GPUs for workstations / GPGPU though; I doubt they needed any experience there.

Krogoth
Gerbil Elder

Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:19 am

The Egg wrote:
I've got to wonder if it was done in part to get some hands-on experience at 7nm before prime-time.

It was done entirely to sell off Instinct Mi50 stock that ISV/OEMs didn't want for whatever reason. The current pricing paradigm is only reason AMD was willing to pull this off. Radeon VIIs at their current MSRP most likely only have a modest profit margin.
Last edited by Krogoth on Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gigabyte Z390 AORUS-PRO Coffee Lake R 9700K, 2x8GiB of G.Skill DDR4-3600, Sapphire RX Vega 64, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

The Egg

Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:26 am

Krogoth wrote:
The Egg wrote:

It was done entirely to sell off Instinct Mi50 stock that ISV/OEMs didn't want for whatever reason. The current pricing paradigm is only reason was willing to pull this off. Radeon VIIs are their MSRP most likely only have a modest profit margin.

Aye, I was just about to post.....looks like the same card, maybe with lightly tweaked clocks. Makes sense.

Waco
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:42 am

Krogoth wrote:
It was done entirely to sell off Instinct Mi50 stock that ISV/OEMs didn't want for whatever reason.

It was almost assuredly not that given it's a different PCB, cooler, binning, etc as well as the fact that Mi50 GPUs sell quite well at at excellent profit margins.

Krogoth
Gerbil Elder

Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:40 pm

Waco wrote:
Krogoth wrote:
It was done entirely to sell off Instinct Mi50 stock that ISV/OEMs didn't want for whatever reason.

It was almost assuredly not that given it's a different PCB, cooler, binning, etc as well as the fact that Mi50 GPUs sell quite well at at excellent profit margins.

They had excessive yields that ISV/OEM customers didn't want (most likely ate too much juice at load) instead of recycling the subpar Vega 20 yields. AMD RTG used them and sold them as "Radeon VIIs". Nvidia does the same thing with its Titan line-up which are excessive or subpar chips that didn't meet Quadro/Telsa standards.
Gigabyte Z390 AORUS-PRO Coffee Lake R 9700K, 2x8GiB of G.Skill DDR4-3600, Sapphire RX Vega 64, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

Waco
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:03 pm

Krogoth wrote:
Waco wrote:
Krogoth wrote:

They had excessive yields that ISV/OEM customers didn't want (most likely ate too much juice at load) instead of recycling the subpar Vega 20 yields. AMD RTG used them and sold them as "Radeon VIIs". Nvidia does the same thing with its Titan line-up which are excessive or subpar chips that didn't meet Quadro/Telsa standards.

That's not the same as selling off excess stock of Instinct cards. A lot of work goes into building an entirely different SKU / software stack.

Concupiscence
Gerbil Elite

Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:17 am

Yan wrote:

*gasp* But his unending screeching at AMD and narcissistic injury when he's called on it are such an integral part of the Tech Report experience! No, we'll be hearing about What AMD Did until he dies, and then he'll pay for bots in his last will and testament to continue his legacy online until humanity's final collapse. Or he'll teach his children the rewards of shrill trolling.

I dunno. Honestly, nothing's going to be done. He's a bully, and he's being enabled here, or at least not discouraged sufficiently to knock it off and find a more productive behavior than snotty, posturing loathing.
Work: Core i9 7940x, 32 gigs RAM, RX Vega 56 + GTX Titan Xm, Win10 Pro + Xubuntu 18.04
Media: Ryzen 7 1700, 16 gigs RAM, Radeon R9 Fury, Win10 Pro
Tinker: Xeon E5-4640, 32 gigs ECC RAM, GTX 750 Ti, Slackware 14.2

Read me at https://www.wallabyjones.com/

The Egg

Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:58 pm

Concupiscence wrote:
Yan wrote:

*gasp* But his unending screeching at AMD and narcissistic injury when he's called on it are such an integral part of the Tech Report experience! No, we'll be hearing about What AMD Did until he dies, and then he'll pay for bots in his last will and testament to continue his legacy online until humanity's final collapse. Or he'll teach his children the rewards of shrill trolling.

I dunno. Honestly, nothing's going to be done. He's a bully, and he's being enabled here, or at least not discouraged sufficiently to knock it off and find a more productive behavior than snotty, posturing loathing.

Either your sarcasm filter is broken, or mine is. I always took Chuckula's posts to be tongue-in-cheek and somewhat of a fanboy parody. Either way, it's all in good fun.

Concupiscence
Gerbil Elite

Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:34 pm

The Egg wrote:
Concupiscence wrote:
Yan wrote:

Either your sarcasm filter is broken, or mine is. I always took Chuckula's posts to be tongue-in-cheek and somewhat of a fanboy parody. Either way, it's all in good fun.

I'd be in better spirits about it if it hadn't been going on for years. And I can assure you that his responses to rebuttals or even people telling him to tone it down have not frequently epitomized good humor or grace.

In any case - and to keep this at on topic - the Radeon VII was a stopgap intended to present a product at a performance point when Nvidia was going to have unquestioned reign there and beyond. It's an odd product and too expensive to make much money at; since it's essentially a variation on the Vega theme, driver support will continue for a while regardless of commercial availability. AMD's likely to have new Navi-based cards in the pipeline for higher performance targets, so its absence is unlikely to be felt for a long period of time outside of its great-at-the-price-point full precision and a few commercial users. Life goes on.
Work: Core i9 7940x, 32 gigs RAM, RX Vega 56 + GTX Titan Xm, Win10 Pro + Xubuntu 18.04
Media: Ryzen 7 1700, 16 gigs RAM, Radeon R9 Fury, Win10 Pro
Tinker: Xeon E5-4640, 32 gigs ECC RAM, GTX 750 Ti, Slackware 14.2

Read me at https://www.wallabyjones.com/

The Egg

Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:18 pm

Concupiscence wrote:
The Egg wrote:

I'd be in better spirits about it if it hadn't been going on for years. And I can assure you that his responses to rebuttals or even people telling him to tone it down have not frequently epitomized good humor or grace.

I guess I stopped paying attention to any of the "Intel" stuff when the whole bit got old (a long time ago). Some of his other posts are amusing, but I'm not sure why anyone would try to debate on a topic when the other side is clearly being facetious.