Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

The Egg
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Physical GPU Measurements

Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:03 am

I considered posting this elsewhere, but figured it might be more helpful to others in the future if I make a separate thread.

As I had written earlier in the AMD Navi/ RDNA topic, my Silverstone GD-07B has height restrictions for cards and CPU coolers. Over the past generation or so, oversize GPUs quickly became the norm, rather than the exception. Of the all the aftermarket 5700-series cards I've able to find so far, 100% of them are overheight. Because of this, I needed to know exactly how cardmakers are measuring their cards in order for that information to be useful.

My method for determining their measurement points was to gather a handful of spare/garbage cards, and then compare the actual observed physical measurements with the cards' original spec sheets. To the best of my knowledge, I've determined that most manufacturers are using the following methods:

• HEIGHT: Measured from the bottom of the PCIe pins to the highest point
  • LENGTH: Measured from the inside of the rear bracket to the furthest point. Rear connectors which extend outward (DVI, VGA) do not appear to be factored into the measurement.
  • STANDARD HEIGHT using these methods is roughly 110mm. (Standard = Even with the top of the rear bracket)

Unfortunately, because it didn't apply to my situation, I didn't look at anything regarding card thickness before recycling the spare cards. Measuring the thickness should be relatively straightforward though, aside from maybe determining exactly what they think constitutes a "slot width" (i.e., "card is 2.7 slots wide"). Hopefully the information above will be useful to someone.

The Egg
Topic Author

Re: Physical GPU Measurements

Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:18 am

Regarding my own personal situation (for whoever's interested), the Silverstone GD-07B can accommodate a maximum height of roughly 142mm, but once the card exceeds 210mm in length (which all Navi cards do), it passes underneath a drive cage and height is further limited to approx 135mm. Thus far, the shortest aftermarket Navi cards I've been able to confirm are the Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse at 135mm even, and the ASRock 5700 XT Challenger at 137mm. Being that my measurement probably wasn't perfect, 135mm on the mark is within the margin of error to end up not fitting. I suppose I could somehow mod the case with a dremel, but I'd prefer not to. The MSI 5700 XT Evoke also looks nice, but it's hard to get a gauge on height from those angles.

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:19 am

Do your GD07 height restrictions take into account the height of the PCIe power connector the (typically) protrudes out the top of the cards instead of the (less common) end of the card?

Different card manufacturers size their PCB differently in regards to where the PCIe power connector is located within the height of the card. Some will end up with the male end of the power connector flush with the extent of the cooler, and some will require additional space above the cooler.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

The Egg
Topic Author

Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:27 am

DPete27 wrote:
Do your GD07 height restrictions take into account the height of the PCIe power connector the (typically) protrudes out the top of the cards instead of the (less common) end of the card?

Different card manufacturers size their PCB differently in regards to where the PCIe power connector is located within the height of the card. Some will end up with the male end of the power connector flush with the extent of the cooler, and some will require additional space above the cooler.

No, it doesn't. I've noticed that the majority of overheight cards have the PCIe power connections mounted lower, because the overheight portion is mostly HSF rather than the PCB. It's certainly something I'll have to watch for though.

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:35 am

^Photo of PCIe power connectors mounted low enough that the male ends wouldn't protrude past the "height" of the card. That's a pretty deep notch. The amount of extra clearance you need for the PCIe power connector cable (and cable bend if you're not using a 90 degree adapter) depends on the depth of that notch.

Example of the opposite.
Last edited by DPete27 on Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

The Egg
Topic Author

Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:42 am

^^ Yikes, the Sapphire certainly looks taller than 135mm in that pic. I'll have to do alot of double and triple checking. Never imagined finding a GPU would be this much of a PITA.

dragontamer5788
Gerbil Elite

Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:01 pm

Hmmm... what about buying a reference design and then using a "universal" cooler, such as the Morpheus II?

https://www.raijintek.com/en/products_d ... oductID=46
https://www.newegg.com/p/2T3-0007-00003 ... 66Z28H1001

It'd be more expensive and a bit of work, but the Morpheus II with 120mm fans is considered pretty good. The only question is if it will work on the 5700's design. IIRC, people use 120mm fans with the Morpheus II.

EDIT: It seems like your case has 133mm? So Morpheus II with 1200mm fans should fit... but its hard to figure these details out in advance...

The Egg
Topic Author

Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:25 pm

^^ Naa. In addition to being more expensive and alot of work, it's more risk than I'd be comfortable with on a hot-running $400 card. I'd sooner take a dremel to the case.

The Egg
Topic Author

Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:42 pm

Following up, after reading/watching the review of the Gigabyte 5700XT by Gamersnexus, I went ahead and ordered one direct from Amazon. Sanity prevailed, and someone released a solid card which is roughly standard height. Amazon no longer has them listed, but I got in on a batch which is due in next week (expected delivery 9/18). We'll see how all that goes.