Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

andy99
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

What graphics card should I get?

Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:58 am

Hello all this is my first original post on any sub. I am currently an owner of a PS4 and Nintendo switch owner and have been waiting for awhile to get into the PC gaming world. I was waiting for card prices to come down to reasonable and it seems my definition of reasonable won't be met. Seems like Nvidia needs some competition but I won't get into that. I'm looking to play mostly RPGs and shooters on this console as those are my two favorite genres of games. I want to play at 1440p and be at 60 fps min. I think I will be using a 60 Hz monitor as I really am not competitive and don't need crazy high FPS. I do however want to be on Max settings maintaining 60 fps. What do you guys think is the best graphics card for me. Used or new is fine for me but I can't seem to find the cheaper used cards online that people like science studio talk about in their YouTube videos all the time. I know you guys probably get posts like this all the time but I would love some feedback. Not having a GPU is what's holding me back from stepping into the PC gaming realm.

K-L-Waster
Gerbil Elite

Re: What graphics card should I get?

Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:16 am

Hello, and welcome to TR.

As a start, I would recommend reading Zak's review of recent GPUs.

https://techreport.com/review/3464684/n ... viewed/19/

Based on what you're asking for, I think an RX 5700 or a GTX 1660 TI or RTX 2060 would make the most sense from the available new cards. Any of those cards would be able to easily hit the performance targets you've set and thensome.

You might also want to look into getting a higher refresh rate monitor. While super high frame rates aren't necessary to have fun, once you've experienced them it's hard to go back to 60 FPS...
Main System: i7-8700K, ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-E, 16 GB DDR4 3200 RAM, ASUS 6800XT, 1 TB WD_Black SN750, Corsair 550D

HTPC: I5-4460, ASUS H97M-E, 8 GB RAM, GTX 970, CRUCIAL 256GB MX100, SILVERSTONE GD09B