Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

packratt455
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Nvidia problems HELP

Thu Feb 13, 2003 6:45 pm

Ok. Heres a good one for ya. I have a HP 520n pc,Celeron 1300 mgz, 512 ram, Nvidia MX440-SE pci card. The problem is: when you power the pc off, for about 10 minutes or more, when it is powered back on, it will not recognize the card as being in the pci slot. Therefore, no video. I have to unplug the moniter from the card and plug it into the on-board (Intel 81810E) to get the screen back up . The Nvidia needs removed from the pci slot ,and the whole instalation process done again. The bios has been upgraded in the pc. The on-board disabled, have also tried with the drivers for the on-board uninstalled. The pc when it boots and windows (xp) loads, automaticly loads the drivers for the on-board anyway. the setttings in the sys bio are set to pci. This is card # 5, as I have assumed it was a hardware prob. I have exchanged it. This card is the 440, the other 4 were 420s. This card, so far, when the pc is powered down, will not load on start-up,after 10 min or so, but when the on-board is plugged in, is there,in device mgr., but windows says in device manager that the Nvidia has a problem. Power the pc down again and plug the Nvidia back in, turn the pc back on and it works. Battery in the motherboard has been replaced today, as that was a sugestion HP had (even though I checked and told them it wasn't dead). Drivers for the Nvidia are 4.1.0.9. I have also tried 4.1.0.7? I think, that came in the box with the new card. This has been going on since May, and is a real pain. Any suggestions are appr. I do have PNY tech confused as well as HP. Also , my factory installed modem is in PCI slot 3. It has never failed to recognise it, and I have tried to move modem and card, (swaping slots). Modem does fine on powerdown, even in the 1st slot. I also asked hp how to fully disable the on-board, but they couldnt answer.