Personal computing discussed

Moderators: morphine, SecretSquirrel

BIF
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Dual Link DVI; What is it, REALLY?

Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:52 pm

For a very large monitor, such as a 25" to 40+" size with high resolution, do you need to use both DVI ports, or is this done through one port?

Is there a special cable needed? Multiple connectors on the monitor?
If using in dual link mode, can two monitors still be driven by one graphic card, or will you need another card?

If you have actually used one of these big monitors in Dual Link mode, can you offer some general or specific experience or advice?
How did you find the clarity?
Are the characters and things on the screen too small to see?

I have a passing interest in exploring the use of two 24" monitors or a single 27" to 30" monitor.

Any info appreciated. Thanks!

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Re: Dual Link DVI; What is it, REALLY?

Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:57 pm

Basically, the DVI connector is capable of 2 sets of connections. By dual link it means both sets of connections are active, giving you more bandwidth for signal/data to get across. You will need that once you are past a certain resolution. So yes, you will need a cable clearly marked as "dual link" because the cheap skate cable makers will sell single link cables too. Most modern cards these days have 2x dual-link DVIs so yes, you can drive 2 high resolution large monitors (of course, confirm the specs first before you buy).

For 24" monitors at 1920x1200, you can get away with single link DVI since this is right at the limit of single link bandwidth. Going higher you will need to drive the monitor with dual link cables plugged into dual link ports, but that is per monitor.

The wikipedia arcticle has pictures for the connectors. Of course a lot of cables will have the connectors but the pins may not be live. So you will need to look for the "dual link" term and buy from a trusted source (monoprice being one of them of course).
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

BIF
Gold subscriber
Topic Author

Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:13 pm

FF, thanks!

I saw the Wiki article, but I began to become even more confused; hence my thread here.

A few follow up questions:

1. If I were to go to a 27" monitor at a higher resolution, I would only need a single dual-link-capable DVI cable, right?

2. And if I were a really bad glutton, I could still run two 27" monitors at high resolution off of one graphic card (requiring a total of two dual link-capable cables), right?

3. I just need to check to be sure my two-plus-year-old GeForce 8600 (I think, but I'm at work now) card is capable of Dual Link DVI (and not merely "Dual DVI"), correct?

I don't think my card is capable of this because it's on that cusp-of-age and it only has one DVI port; the other is VGA.

thecoldanddarkone

Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:49 pm

BIF wrote:
FF, thanks!

I saw the Wiki article, but I began to become even more confused; hence my thread here.

1. If I were to go to a 27" monitor at a higher resolution, I would only need a single dual-link-capable DVI cable, right?

2. And if I were a really bad glutton, I could still run two 27" monitors at high resolution off of one graphic card (requiring a total of two dual link-capable cables), right?

3. I just need to check to be sure my two-plus-year-old GeForce 8600 (I think, but I'm at work now) card is capable of Dual Link DVI (and not merely "Dual DVI"), correct?

I don't think my card is capable of this because it's on that cusp-of-age and it only has one DVI port; the other is VGA.

It depends on the 27" Both 1920x1200 and 2560x1440 exist on 27 inch monitors. If it's 1920x1200 then it's within the resolution range of vga and single link dvi. If it's 2560x1440 then dual link dvi or displayport is required.

edit- 1920x1200 off vga is usually fuzzy.
I7 4930k, 32 GB Ballistix DDRL3@2133 , 1.2 TB Intel 750 AIC, 500 GB mx200, Sapphire R9 Fury, asus x79 ws, HP ZR24w, edifier s730
HP Pro x2 612- i5-4302Y, 8 gigs of memory, 256 ssd

emorgoch
Gerbil Elite

Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:56 pm

BIF wrote:

The physical size of the monitor has nothing to do with it, it's all about resolution. Higher than 1920x1200, dual-link DVI required.

BIF wrote:

Not quite sure what you're asking, but a single card with 2 single-link DVI connections can handle two monitors, each running at up to 1920x1200. 2 dual-link DVI connections can run two monitors with higher resolutions.

BIF wrote:

I think you're 8600 will be a dual-link DVI. I think my 7800GTX was the last generation of single-links.
Intel i7 4790k @ stock, Asus Z97-PRO(Wi-Fi ac), 2x8GB Crucial DDR3 1600MHz, EVGA GTX 760
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB + 2TB Western Digital Black
Dell 2408WFP and Dell 2407WFP-HC for dual-24" goodness
Windows 10 64-bit

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:12 am

emorgoch wrote:
I think you're 8600 will be a dual-link DVI. I think my 7800GTX was the last generation of single-links.
The trick is to figure out if the 2nd DVI port (if it is DVI not VGA) is also dual-link capable, making it a "dual dual-link card" (that term is probably what causes all the confusion).
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

arsenhazzard
Gerbil First Class

Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:17 am

Flying Fox wrote:
emorgoch wrote:
The trick is to figure out if the 2nd DVI port (if it is DVI not VGA) is also dual-link capable, making it a "dual dual-link card" (that term is probably what causes all the confusion).

Per nvidia the 8600 should have 2 dual-link DVI outputs.

BIF
Gold subscriber
Topic Author

Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:36 pm

Hi guys!

Okay, now that I'm in front of my system, Device Manager says I have a GeForce 8600 GT. On the backplane, there is one DVI port and one old-fashioned VGA port.

The NVIDIA Control Panel does not offer resolutions above 1920 X 1080 in the "add resolutions" section.

I'm sorry, but I am still confused, although I am fairly certain at this point that my card is not Dual Link capable.

BiffStroganoffsky
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:32 pm

The supported modes listed is what the videocard AND monitor can support. What you are seeing is probably the limitation of your monitor and not the card itself.