Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

--k
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

AMD GPU propping up their CPU?

Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:41 pm

Is AMD inflating the prices of GPUs to help subsidize their CPU business? Not trying to bash; I run an AMD shop at home. I want to root for the underdog, but maybe it's time AMD moved on to greener pastures like ARM etc.
Last edited by --k on Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

l33t-g4m3r
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: AMD GPU propping up their CPU?

Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:49 pm

Nothing wrong with that if they are. Amd still sells a decent value system.

Game_boy
Gerbil Elite

Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:58 pm

They are priced at what the market is prepared to pay. Which is high at the moment compared to previous generations on a die size basis.

morphine
TR Staff

Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:18 pm

--k wrote:
Is AMD inflating the prices of GPUs to help subsidize their CPU business? Not trying to bash; I run an AMD shop at home. I want to root for the underdog, but maybe it's time AMD moved on to greener pastures like ARM etc.

Even if they are (doubt it), assuming they can do it because the market will bear it and pay the high price, then it is what it is.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

chuckula
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:06 pm

--k wrote:

Rooting for the "underdog" when the underdog is a (at least formerly) multi-billion dollar international corporation vs. the top dog who just happens to be a multi-multi billion dollar international corporation is a bit silly. Rooting for ARM as an "underdog" is pretty silly since they have a larger marketshare in the mobile sector than Intel does in any area in which it competes.
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; Officially RX-560... that's right AMD you shills!; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.

--k
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:26 pm

Right, the underdog refers to the desktop space that AMD occupies with Intel.

P5-133XL
Gerbil

Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:27 pm

Recently, it seems that AMD has gone from a total price war business model to pricing just a hair below equivalent competition business model. It seems to been applied to both CPU's and the GPU's. I think they finally figured out that the price war mentality maintained their market share but made very little money which was supposed to be their goal.
Put those spare CPU/GPU cycles to good use - Folding@Home