Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

BloodSoul
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Dual Monitor Issue running Windows 8

Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:14 pm

Hey everyone,

So every now and then when I am playing a video on my primary monitor, my second monitor goes absolutely crazy. Sometimes when I leave the webpage, the monitor goes back to normal, other times it continues to display tons of random colorful lines... it is really hit or miss. In addition, not every video has this strange effect... adding to the mystery. I've only run into this issue using firefox, which makes me suspect that it is more of a flash plugin issue than a video card issue. Any suggestions for how to proceed? This issue has been bugging me for a long time, but I figured plugin updates would have fixed it by now.

i7 930 stock clocked, 6 Gb Corsair XMSC3 ram, EVGA FTW3 mobo, XFX Radeon 7770 Black Edition, Antec Neopower 650W, OCZ Vertex 3 120gb, 1tb Caviar Black, 750 gb Caviar Green, Asus Xonar D2X, and some optical/bluray drives. Let me know if any other info would help.

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Dual Monitor Issue running Windows 8

Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:20 pm

Have you updated the video drivers?

Are GPU and RAM at stock clock too, or are they overclocked?

Have you cleaned dust out of the CPU and GPU heatsinks lately?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

BloodSoul
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:56 pm

I have the most up to date drivers from AMD, although I may want to do a thorough reinstall if that is recommended.

GPU and RAM are stock clocked

I clean my computer on a regular basis.

It should be noted that gaming does not trigger this issue, that I had the same setup run perfectly for a year or 2 on Windows 7, and that to the best of my knowledge the issue has only come up in Mozilla Firefox (I spent like 20 minutes jumping around videos on chrome and didn't get any of the symptoms).

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:30 am

Firefox does GPU acceleration too, try disabling it to see if it helps.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.