Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

BBN
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Shopping for a new graphics card.

Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:56 pm

Hi,

I am new to the forums here and have been reading up the graphics card reviews for this website. I am in the market for a new graphics card. I have a pretty big good budget and generally buy what ever the other reviews site recommend as the best single slot graphics card, but since I found out about this website I am looking for a graphics card with the least latency and best frame fluidity and it seems like the reviewers of this site really favor the Nvidia GTX 660Ti.

I don't play at max graphics or or have to have all of the advanced graphics settings maxed out in the games I play either. I am a min-max type person in the games I play and generally people like us don't max out graphics because it hinders gameplay and performance anyways. I just want the smoothest gameply experiance I can get and it seems the Nvidia GTX 660Ti may be that card.

Thanks.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Shopping for a new graphics card.

Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:06 pm

Perhaps... What resolution do you play at? If it's over 1080p then you may want to upgrade to a more powerful model.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

Voldenuit
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:10 pm

You should post what your system specs are and what resolutions you game at. A list of games you play or intend to play might also be handy.

Generally speaking, assuming you have a balanced build, a GeForce GTX 660 or 660Ti should be sufficient for most gaming at 1080p. The Radeon 7870 is also an option at this price point. While a lot has been said about the 'smoothness' of the Radeon cards, it's worth pointing out that both nvidia and radeon cards can suffer from stutter depending on the game and settings (as shown recently in the Titan review), although nvidia still appears to have an upper hand in this area at the moment. If you're gaming at 1440p or 1600p, you'll probably want to step up to a 670 or 7950/7970.

Full disclosure: I'm using a GTX 660 right now (1920x1200 monitor) and have used both AMD and nvidia cards in my systems since the TNT and Radeon9700 Pro days, so I consider myself pretty impartial about brands.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

BBN
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:20 pm

JohnC wrote:
Perhaps... What resolution do you play at? If it's over 1080p then you may want to upgrade to a more powerful model.

I play on a Panasonic 32in TV and it is only 720p.

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:22 pm

Voldenuit wrote:
it's worth pointing out that both nvidia and radeon cards can suffer from stutter depending on the game and settings
Not ... really? Not with a single card, that is. (゜-゜)
Voldenuit wrote:
If you're gaming at 1440p or 1600p, you'll probably want to step up to a 670 or 7950/7970.
JohnC wrote:
If it's over 1080p then you may want to upgrade to a more powerful model.

Ehh? 「(°ヘ°) I run 1080p games at 60hz just fine with maxed details with my aged GTX460. You're telling me a 660Ti -- which is faster than a 580 -- can't hack it?

For 720p gaming I'd just get a 650Ti or even an older card used. Almost anything should be fine.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:28 pm

BBN wrote:
JohnC wrote:

I play on a Panasonic 32in TV and it is only 720p.

It looks like you're good and this card should be well-suitable for your demands... But make sure that the rest of your system components (like CPU) are also capable of handling games with heavy CPU utilization.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

BBN
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:29 pm

Voldenuit wrote:
You should post what your system specs are and what resolutions you game at. A list of games you play or intend to play might also be handy.

Generally speaking, assuming you have a balanced build, a GeForce GTX 660 or 660Ti should be sufficient for most gaming at 1080p. The Radeon 7870 is also an option at this price point. While a lot has been said about the 'smoothness' of the Radeon cards, it's worth pointing out that both nvidia and radeon cards can suffer from stutter depending on the game and settings (as shown recently in the Titan review), although nvidia still appears to have an upper hand in this area at the moment. If you're gaming at 1440p or 1600p, you'll probably want to step up to a 670 or 7950/7970.

Full disclosure: I'm using a GTX 660 right now (1920x1200 monitor) and have used both AMD and nvidia cards in my systems since the TNT and Radeon9700 Pro days, so I consider myself pretty impartial about brands.

Hi,

Here are my computer specs:

Asus P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3
Intel i7 2700k
G.Skill 8GB Memory
Lite-On 256GB SSDx2
AMD HD 5450 temporary

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:33 pm

BBN wrote:

Asus P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3
Intel i7 2700k
G.Skill 8GB Memory
Lite-On 256GB SSDx2
AMD HD 5450 temporary

Whu? Instead of spending a bundle on a new GPU, buy a decent new GPU and a new MONITOR! \(。>▽<。)ノ

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:35 pm

auxy wrote:
Ehh? 「(°ヘ°) I run 1080p games at 60hz just fine with maxed details with my aged GTX460. You're telling me a 660Ti -- which is faster than a 580 -- can't hack it?

For 720p gaming I'd just get a 650Ti or even an older card used. Almost anything should be fine.

"Just fine" is a very subjective definition :wink: For some dipping into 20 fps or lower can also feel "fine"... Anyways, that depends on what you play and which in-game settings you prefer.
Personally, I wouldn't consider these results (for this card and this type of resolution) as "fine":

ESPECIALLY for higher than 1080p resolution:
:P
Last edited by JohnC on Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Voldenuit

Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:35 pm

auxy wrote:
Voldenuit wrote:
it's worth pointing out that both nvidia and radeon cards can suffer from stutter depending on the game and settings
Not ... really? Not with a single card, that is. (゜-゜)

Yes, really.

You'll note that in Guild wars, the 690 (dual GPU) actually posted lower 99th percentile frame times than the Titan. And in Sleeping Dogs, the 7970 CF posted the lowest 99th pecentile frame times and the least amount of time spent over 16/33/50ms despite AFR lag being easily seen in the plots.

I believe that these tend to be exceptions (without frame time plots for a large sample of games it's hard to say) and that the general maxim that 'faster single GPU cards tend to be smoother than multi-GPU setups' stil lholds true, but it's just a generalization. While single GPU cards are most likely smoother than SLI/CF configs for the majority of cases, that doesn't mean that they are immune to laggy frames or even the smoothest in all cases.

auxy wrote:

And I played at 1200p with an even less powerful 5770 for a long time before upgrading to the 660. It can be done, and it wasn't horrible, but the 660 was a vast improvement in both image quality and smoothness.

I will say that if the OP is still using a 720p monitor, it'd probably be a better idea to upgrade the monitor to a higher resolution before upgrading his/her video card.

EDIT: Ouch, just saw the OP's GPU (5450).

Okay, he/she should try to upgrade both the monitor and the GPU, with the priority based on his/her usage priorities. I would go for a decent e-IPS 23-24" 1080p monitor (they can be found for under $200) and then get a ~$200 GPU like the GTX 660.
Last edited by Voldenuit on Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:41 pm

JohnC wrote:
Personally, I wouldn't consider these results (for this card and this type of resolution) as "fine": (nonsense Crysis 3 benchmark) :P
Baaah! ヽ(≧Д≦)ノ Take your poorly-optimized beta game benchmarks out of here!

I can't get to my PicturePush from work here, but when I get home I'll show you what my little GF104 can do! (^_−)☆

BBN
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:44 pm

auxy wrote:
BBN wrote:

Asus P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3
Intel i7 2700k
G.Skill 8GB Memory
Lite-On 256GB SSDx2
AMD HD 5450 temporary

Whu? Instead of spending a bundle on a new GPU, buy a decent new GPU and a new MONITOR! \(。>▽<。)ノ

Maybe but I don't play at max graphics or have every advanced graphics setting turned on. I play games at a competitive level and having everything maxed out would not be ideal. I am more concerned with frame latency and gaming fluidity, so it seems the Nvidia GTX 660Ti would be my best bet.

My TV/Monitor is fine and actually one of the best for gaming.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:45 pm

auxy wrote:
JohnC wrote:
Personally, I wouldn't consider these results (for this card and this type of resolution) as "fine": (nonsense Crysis 3 benchmark) :P
Baaah! ヽ(≧Д≦)ノ Take your poorly-optimized beta game benchmarks out of here!

:lol: The benchmark data is for a final version of the game... Just for a different language/location which shouldn't significantly affect the FPS :wink:

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:49 pm

Voldenuit wrote:
Yes, really. (...) While single GPU cards are most likely smoother than SLI/CF configs for the majority of cases, that doesn't mean that they are immune to laggy frames or even the smoothest in all cases.
Well, of course not, but you're not really saying the same thing there, are you? (ಠ_ಠ) That's not "stutter", that's just "worse performance with a single GPU than with dual-GPUs." Which, I mean, well, duh. ヘ(。□°)ヘ
Voldenuit wrote:
Okay, he/she should try to upgrade both the monitor and the GPU, with the priority based on his/her usage priorities. I would go for a decent e-IPS 23-24" 1080p monitor (they can be found for under $200) and then get a ~$200 GPU like the GTX 660.
Yep yep! Although if he/she wants the maximum in image smoothness, he needs a 144Hz Lightboost-capable display. Heh-heh-heh!(*≧艸≦)

I still second the IPS-and-decent-GPU recommendation tho. Better value for the money, you betcha. (─‿‿─)
BBN wrote:
Really? ( ̄エ ̄;)ゞ By what metrics?

Voldenuit

Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:52 pm

BBN wrote:
Maybe but I don't play at max graphics or have every advanced graphics setting turned on. I play games at a competitive level and having everything maxed out would not be ideal. I am more concerned with frame latency and gaming fluidity, so it seems the Nvidia GTX 660Ti would be my best bet.

A 660Ti would be complete overkill for 720p.

If you're really into competitive gaming, you should be looking at new monitors with high refresh and low input lag as well. auxy has a point that you may or may not be basing your judgement on the suitability of your TV/monitor as a competitive gaming display by the right metrics.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:02 pm

... yea, I'd have to agree that if you're playing competitively (though that depends on a type of game) you may want to also consider purchasing a better monitor with low input lag and high refresh rate (120Hz or higher)... Especially if you prefer to play with lower quality settings (to boost your FPS) and the game you're playing is capable of outputting more than 60 fps. At least try to find such monitor (online or offline) at a place with good return policy, purchase it there and "evaluate" it side-by-side with your old one (just make sure to adjust color temperature and brightness/contrast to same levels with both of them) while playing same game for few hours.

BBN
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:25 pm

Voldenuit wrote:
BBN wrote:

A 660Ti would be complete overkill for 720p.

If you're really into competitive gaming, you should be looking at new monitors with high refresh and low input lag as well. auxy has a point that you may or may not be basing your judgement on the suitability of your TV/monitor as a competitive gaming display by the right metrics.

A new graphics card is a must the AMD 5450HD doesn't cut it at all. It is also not even supported in a couple of games.

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:14 am

BBN wrote:
A new graphics card is a must the AMD 5450HD doesn't cut it at all. It is also not even supported in a couple of games.
... I ... don't really think anyone disagrees with that? We were all telling you to get a new GPU. ヘ(。 □°)ヘ

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:39 am

I for one if you have the $ would get the 660ti...sure its a bit overkill for 720p but i am sure in the future you will be at least up to 1080p. So i think the 660ti will be much more future proof. Your 2700k and the rest of your build will be around for a few years at least. I also like the Hd 7870....I think AMD cards give you better video playback quality and colors just seem much more vibrant but not over saturated.

Plus bigger and more $ is Extra More Better :roll:
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:06 am

I like how everyone is saying "get a new monitor!!!" when he said he's playing on a 32" 720p TV. It's a TV. You guys just aren't paying attention to his requirements. If a new TV isn't an option (and I can see where it might not be, as a new TV may be more than a new monitor) then get a 650Ti and call it a day. I assume you're playing on a couch, so for 32" 720p is probably plenty, but if you want to get a bigger TV you'll want 1080p.

If you can also swing a TV upgrade to say a 40" 1080p or something, then you'll want a more powerful card like a 660Ti. If not, then save yourself a load of money.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:53 am

720p you will be fine with a 650Ti or an HD7770GHz edition.

By the time either of those is "too slow" the new card at that price range will probably be two or three times faster.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:23 am

At 720p, you're seeing a slightly-different colored square as your target. The guy on the other end playing at 2560x1440 has four times as many pixels. 1080p is the design resolution for most modern games and media.

GeForce GTX660Ti is a very good $300 graphics card. If it fits your budget, you should not be disappointed in the performance that it provides, even if you turn up the graphics options at 720p. GeForce GTX660Ti will still provide excellent gaming performance once you eventually upgrade your low-resolution monitor.

If you just want something that will provide acceptable performance at low resolution, Radeon HD7770 does the job for $100-$125. Radeon HD7770 is leaps and bounds better than the HD5450 that you've got now. It may not be the best choice for "competitive" gaming, but it's a playable experience.

Because you are playing at low resolution, you may not need gobs of graphics memory. A Radeon HD7850 1GB card for $170 might be suitable.
In another thread, I wrote:
A Radeon HD7770 is acceptable for most games at 1080p. I suggest the Sapphire 100358OCL for the 10% speed bump from the factory.
You could get very good gaming performance with a mid-range GPU like a Radeon HD7850 1GB or 2GB, GeForce GTX660 or Radeon HD7870.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

Deanjo
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:19 pm

GeForce Titan or GTFO! :P kidding.

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:16 pm

Since his 2700k will be around for a good while i would at least get HD7870 performance.
Newegg has a open box$231 PowerColor PCS+ AX7870 2GBD5-2DHPPV Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition (Vortex II Edition) 2GB clocked at 1150 on the core compared to 1000mhz and 5000mhz mem compared to 4800mhz...a hefty factory OC
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 814131476R
I never have bought a open box from newegg so i have no idea what to expect.

Or this HIS IceQ H787Q2G2M Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB 256-bit that is a oversized blower design that is pretty quiet for $219.99
It also has 4 heatpipes and runs very cool! 94 reviews averaging 4 stars. Note the card is a bit larger then most 7870s since it has the oversized blower squirrel cage blower that hangs over the end of the circuit board a bit. Not that you will have to but they do overclock well if you would need to in the future. Plus you have the blower design that is quiet but exhausts the Gpu heat from the case helping the chassis stay cool.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814161404
Last edited by vargis14 on Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:14 pm

I think a couple people mentioned the 650 Ti. I second or third this suggestion. More than a 650 Ti is very, very overkill for 720p, and you could really get by with less but the 650 Ti is good value for the money. Alternatively, the HD 7770 should also be completely competent at 720p, but the 650 Ti will be more "future proof", even if that term is problematic.

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:44 pm

I think OP was like, "Abandon thread!ヽ(゚Д゚)ノ" when we started arguing. Hehe.(⌒▽⌒)

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:11 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
I like how everyone is saying "get a new monitor!!!" when he said he's playing on a 32" 720p TV. It's a TV. You guys just aren't paying attention to his requirements

I like how YOU assume that noone here can pay proper attention (reminds me of a previous topic where a certain person also assumed that noone in the topic learned proper math at school) :roll: I've read the original post about TV in all its entirety and yes, I've noticed the fact that it's a large TV. Getting a new monitor was just a friendly suggestion, based on the OP's being a competitive player and wanting a better "gaming fluidity"...
To the OP: sorry for taking this thread off-topic.

BBN
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:53 pm

vargis14 wrote:
Since his 2700k will be around for a good while i would at least get HD7870 performance.
Newegg has a open box$231 PowerColor PCS+ AX7870 2GBD5-2DHPPV Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition (Vortex II Edition) 2GB clocked at 1150 on the core compared to 1000mhz and 5000mhz mem compared to 4800mhz...a hefty factory OC
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 814131476R
I never have bought a open box from newegg so i have no idea what to expect.

Or this HIS IceQ H787Q2G2M Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB 256-bit that is a oversized blower design that is pretty quiet for $219.99
It also has 4 heatpipes and runs very cool! 94 reviews averaging 4 stars. Note the card is a bit larger then most 7870s since it has the oversized blower squirrel cage blower that hangs over the end of the circuit board a bit. Not that you will have to but they do overclock well if you would need to in the future. Plus you have the blower design that is quiet but exhausts the Gpu heat from the case helping the chassis stay cool.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814161404

I will take a look at these. My only problem is AMD doesn't seem to be as smooth as Nvidia when gaming from the tests
done on this website.

auxy wrote:
I think OP was like, "Abandon thread!ヽ(゚Д゚)ノ" when we started arguing. Hehe.(⌒▽⌒)

I'm still here.

cynan
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:12 pm

BBN wrote:
I will take a look at these. My only problem is AMD doesn't seem to be as smooth as Nvidia when gaming from the tests
done on this website.

True, but with the whole 660Ti vs HD 7950 "debate" recently (where AMD did get caught with its pants down with a driver that increased latency to abysmal levels in certain games), this has been blown way out of proportion. For example, looking at the original 660Ti review from August on this site and the Titan review just published, latency between AMD and Nvidia cards are much closer in most games. Though in the selection of games tested, I agree, Nvidia comes out on top, but not by that much, at least not where it will be noticeable while gaming.

AMD continues to be stuck with a pall over its head regarding its graphics, which objectively, have been pretty neck and neck with Nvidia, at least since 2008 with the introduction of the HD 4800 series. I think a lot of this comes from its inferiority in single thread performance in the x86 GPU market compared to Intel over the past 7 or so years. Added to this, it is continually in the media due to financial problems, which all conspires to cast AMD graphics, which are generally as good as Nvidia's, in an inferior light.

This is all to say that sure, AMD needs to make sure it continues to allocate the necessary resources for driver development to support its hardware if it wants to stay competitive. As far as you're concerned, however, going with an HD 7850 for 720p will offer you plenty of performance and at a lower price than a GTX 660/Ti. If saving $50, or whatever, isn't important, than why not just get a GTX 660 and be done with it? Unless you are planning to get a new monitor, the Ti is unnecessary. As others have said, even the 660 is a bit overkill, but it may come in handy for running games like Crysis 3 or Metro 2033 with all the eye candy on.

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:50 pm

cynan wrote:
As others have said, even the 660 is a bit overkill, but it may come in handy for running games like Crysis 3 or Metro 2033 with all the eye candy on.
Note: neither the GTX660 nor 660Ti will play Crysis 3 or Metro 2033 with all the eye candy on at resolutions above 720p.
\( `.∀´)/