Personal computing discussed

Moderators: morphine, SecretSquirrel

CrabPunt
Gerbil In Training

Re: Best low profile video cards available (April 2018)

Tue May 29, 2018 10:51 am

pink_flower wrote:
Maybe ASUS GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB OC Edition Video Card, you can find it used for $120

The gigabyte 750 ti fits in my dell 9020 with the side of the psu taken off :p

I only really play heroes of the storm so thats fine ;) been watching this thread for a while and im keen on that 1050 now

bigcreekfarm
Gerbil In Training

Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:18 pm

Just thought I'd mention that if you happen to have a second full length PCIe slot such as the Lenovo M93P, you can find a pair of low profile Dell OEM R7-250's on Ebay for less than 40 bucks. They crossfire well, scale well, and actually outperform my GTX 1050ti by an average of 10%. Of course when running DX9 titles, crossfire is ignored, but a single R7-250 gets 60fps at maxed out 1080p on most of those games anyway. Just thought I'd throw that out there - definitely a cheap option if you got the slots. I'm running the stock Lenovo PS, which is rated at 250W.

barmania
Gerbil In Training

Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:30 am

Hi guys,

Has anyone else bought the single slot, low profile ASL 1050 TI or non-TI? I've bought both of these cards on Gearbest, and they both have problems...

First the non-TI, the fan ramps up to 100% fan speed when Windows is started up, and it can't be controlled by MSI Afterburner. I've allready contacted Gearbest and they say the supplier set the default to 100% fanspeed to compensate for the small cooler. Even though they advertise saying: "Quiet cooling fan. Faster cooling effect, experiences mute operation". Total BS, still deciding if I want to send it back or do some hack with a fan controller....

Then the TI, i noticed this one was getting extremely hot. Turns out the fan wasen't working at all. Swapped the fan with the non-TI, problem did not go away. So it's the card that doesn't drive the fan. Had to send it back, still waiting for a new one...

All in all not a good experience with these cards. Too bad, because the quality looks good, and they perform like you would expect. It's just the cooling that let's them down. So beware if you're thinking of buying one....

pilapila3
Gerbil In Training

Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:18 pm

barmania wrote:
Hi guys,

Has anyone else bought the single slot, low profile ASL 1050 TI or non-TI? I've bought both of these cards on Gearbest, and they both have problems...

First the non-TI, the fan ramps up to 100% fan speed when Windows is started up, and it can't be controlled by MSI Afterburner. I've allready contacted Gearbest and they say the supplier set the default to 100% fanspeed to compensate for the small cooler. Even though they advertise saying: "Quiet cooling fan. Faster cooling effect, experiences mute operation". Total BS, still deciding if I want to send it back or do some hack with a fan controller....

Then the TI, i noticed this one was getting extremely hot. Turns out the fan wasen't working at all. Swapped the fan with the non-TI, problem did not go away. So it's the card that doesn't drive the fan. Had to send it back, still waiting for a new one...

All in all not a good experience with these cards. Too bad, because the quality looks good, and they perform like you would expect. It's just the cooling that let's them down. So beware if you're thinking of buying one....

Hi, I bought ASL G1504 (1050 Ti) through GearBest. My unit is running fine. Fan is performing as it should going to 100% only under full load. My unit is not set to 100% all the time. Maybe you ran into a bad batch..... Chinese quality you know.