Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

deruberhanyok
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Galax GTX 970 OC, SFF sized card

Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:26 am

I recently purchased one of these and typed on some impressions for the [H]forum. I'm cross-posting from there - apologies if that offends anyone's sensibilities.

To be clear, this is the card I'm talking about:

http://www.galaxstore.net/GALAX-NVIDIA- ... dt8rvz.htm

Galax is the new name for the brand formerly known as Galaxy (or KFA2 in certain regions). The boards aren't available through retailers in the US yet, however Galax(y) sells them direct through their website. I was shopping for a video card for a small form factor system and wasn't thrilled with the various options that had popped up - the Gigabyte card blocked all rear exhaust with its 37 different outputs, the Zotac card had rear exhaust but vertical heatsink fans, which I figured would direct most of the warm air up and down instead of out of the case, and the Asus card hadn't been announced yet.

So when someone posted a link to Galax' new website and I saw they had a smallish 970 (listed at 193mm on their website), with a rear exhaust cutout and horizontal fins, I figured it was worth a shot. I ordered one on the 22nd and picked it up from the post office two days ago.

-----

First things first, I run 64-bit Ubuntu 14.04.1 on my system, so I can't test D3D out with anything. Likewise there are a lot of newer games that don't run on Linux, so my "testing" is a bit limited. I've put driver install instructions at the very bottom of the post if anyone is unfamiliar with how to do it. Ubuntu 14.10 may require it as well.

My system is an SG05-450 with Asus Z97I-Plus, i7-4790k, 16GB of LP Ballistix Tactical and M550 512GB m.2 SSD. This is currently connected to a Dell U2715H - my home office monitor - so I can try out some native 2560x1440 resolution. Using Ubuntu 14.04.1 with the xord-edgers PPA for drivers (see below for install instructions).

I don't see any DSR options in the settings, so I can't test that under Linux. It might be supported in the newer drivers... or it might not be doable on Linux currently because of some weird X nonsense.

Here's some results from two Unigine Valley runs:

2560x1440, quality High
FPS: 56.6
Score: 2370
Min FPS: 33.6
Max FPS: 95.5

1920x1080, quality Ultra:
FPS: 81.1
Score: 3395
Min FPS: 39.3
Max FPS: 128.6

The scores are lower than some D3D 11 scores I've seen posted, and mine are a little lower than some other Linux benchmarks (Phoronix', for instance, although they had an updated kernel installed on theirs which might account for that), but basically: it's a GeForce 970. No surprises there.

-----

As for the quality of the thing, a few notes:

packaging/shipping:

Shipping took 8 days from when I ordered it to the post office's attempt at delivery (needed a signature and I wasn't home) - which is great considering it had to go through customs, too.

They shipped it by putting the box in a Fedex box, with no additional packaging. I was concerned about this at first - I opened it at the post office after I picked it up to make sure it wasn't damaged - and was happy to see that the actual card's box was full of a custom cut foam tray for the card to sit in. While the box was a little dinged up, the contents were definitely protected, and that was the important thing.

-----

weird noises:

I think I've read about this before but can't find where now, but if I drop resolution and turn off vsync, getting framerates well into the hundreds, there's an odd buzz/whine something sound that shows up. It's noticeable at 60fps, though quieter than when I first noticed it two days ago. Coils whine/buzz of some sort, I expect. I may just leave it running for a while to "burn-in" and see if that affects it. Or maybe it needs to be introduced to the oven.

Also, one very strange one: on some 2D screens in a 3D app, it... whistles? Once again, maybe some coil thing, that's always a safe bet when it comes to weird noises. The only instance I can think of where this is noticeable is when I close Unigine Valley or Heaven - that flat "credits" screen that displays for a few seconds causes it. But only in full screen mode, it doesn't do it in windowed mode. Perhaps a result of framerates shooting into the stratosphere on a single 2D screen while it's still using OpenGL for rendering?

-----

Heatsink and fan:

This is my only 970, and my first "modern" video card. Prior to this I was using a 560ti (bought cheaply as a stopgap while I waited for the 900 series to launch), but before that, I had strayed away from PC gaming, so my systems just used onboard video.

I expect fan noise is similar to any other 970; very quiet at idle, lots of fan noise at load. But this is the price paid for a small form factor, high end video card. The fans still spin at idle; I know some newer cards have a fan stop feature where, if temps are low enough, they don't spin at all, but that doesn't seem to be the case here. Also, at load, I can definitely feel the cool air being sucked in the SG05's side vent. The fans are positioned perfectly to get air drawn in to them. Very pleased with that.

Speaking of temps, it seems to max out around 71-72C, with the fans going at a pretty good clip. It also gets there really quickly, within a minute or so of loading up Unigine, for instance. It doesn't get any higher than that, and I'm not seeing any down-throttling after letting the test run for half an hour ish. Dunno if this indicates that I need to reapply the thermal paste or if it's normal behavior.

The heatsink is beefy. It's got decent heft to it (I didn't think to weigh it, sorry) and the shroud is made of a solid metal, not plastic. The horizontal fins and the rear exhaust vent are what made me buy this particular model, figuring it would be the best setup for a small case, and I think I chose correctly. Once it is running at load for a bit I get a good amount of warm air getting pushed out of the exhaust vent. There's warm air being exhausted into the case, as well, but it doesn't feel like as much. This is using the highly scientific "hold your hand here" method. I need to get some sort of thermometer I could use to check the airflow and see how it is, might have something in the kitchen that would work.

-----

Card dimensions:

This is the big one, or, actually, the small one.

The PCB measures 170mm, and the heatsink's shroud is only a tiny bit longer, I measured it at 173mm. That's a full 2cm shorter than what Galax' website says (they list it at 193mm there). That came as a pleasant surprise. It will easily fit in a CM elite 110 (and I happen to have one of those on my desk). Combined with the standard card height, that leaves only the top-protruding PCI Express power connectors to interfere with your build.

This makes it a much more palatable choice than previously expected. The Gigabyte ITX 970 is 183mm according to their website (although it seems to be closer to 170mm in pictures); the new Asus one recently announced is listed at 17cm, and the Zotac 970 is 204mm at the shroud (though 190 at the heatpipes and 170 at the PCB).

I took a few pictures if anyone is interested, will get those uploaded somewhere later this evening.

--------------------

Ubuntu driver install instructions:

Ubuntu 14.04.1 (which I'm using) doesn't have support for the GTX 970 "out of the box" - the drivers aren't in the repositories yet. Expect this to be corrected when 14.04.2 comes out (scheduled for February 5). Thankfully, since it's just a point release, it will be an automatic update, and from then on the drivers should show up under "additional drivers" like they typically do.

In the interim, getting a 970 set up in Ubuntu is still pretty easy (and can be done without going to the terminal):

1) Go to "system settings" / "software & updates"
2) Click "other software" and then "add", and type:
3) ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa
4) click "close" and then "reload" when prompted.

This will add a new software repository for your system and update the list of available software. This particular one is maintained with all of the newest video stuffs for Ubuntu.

After this, run the software updater (if it doesn't automatically come up, click "system settings" / "details" and on the first tab there should be a button about checking for updates). It will install all updates available and might require a restart.

Last step. Open up the Ubuntu software center and search for "nvidia 343" for the 343 series driver. (There's also a 346 driver but it is marked as Beta on nvidia's site. I haven't tested it.) In the list of search results you should see "NVIDIA binary driver - version 343.22" and a package name underneath that of "nvidia-343".

Click "more info" and then, under the optional extras, make sure everything is checked except Optimus support. Let it install, do a reboot and you should be good to go.
<3 TR

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Galax GTX 970 OC, SFF sized card

Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:46 pm

EDIT:
YOU CAN IGNORE MY mITX RANT BECAUSE I THOUGH YOU WERE TALKING ABOUT THE SFF mITX MODELS THAT ARE SUPER SHORT. ACTUALLY YOUR 970 IS A PRETTY TYPICAL 970.

:oops:

As funky as the mITX compact GTX 970s are to look at, I can't help but wonder what they're really for, since any of these "normal" 970's would have fit into your SG05 with clearance to spare, and they'd also line up the intake fan with the vent on the side a bit better:

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/b3064/evga-gtx-970.html
http://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/b3091/gainward-gtx-970.html
http://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/b3090/palit-gtx-970.html
http://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/b3068/evga-gtx-970-ftw-acx-2-0.html
http://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/b3103/inno3d-gtx-970-herculez-x2-oc.html
http://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/b3130/leadtek-winfast-gtx-970-hurricane.html
http://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/b3051/palit-gtx-970-jetstream.html
http://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/b3053/zotac-gtx-970.html

As for the weird noises, that's just coil-whine in various different scenarios. Sometimes it just fades away with age, sometimes it's stays but it's just luck of the draw in most cases.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

morphine
TR Staff

Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:54 pm

If you're up for a bit of tinkering you may try to find which of the coils is whining and hot-glue it.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

deruberhanyok
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:13 pm

morphine, I haven't done that before - would it have to be the high temp stuff to keep it from melting again, or is lower temp stuff also workable? That would be interesting to try, especially if it doesn't settle itself over the next few weeks.

Chrispy_ - yeah, the blower-style cards would have fit the SG05 with just a tiny amount of room to spare, and with the PCIe power connectors along the top of the card it might have been less awkward to work with than my 560ti (9.5" and power connectors along the back edge). I considered picking one up, initially, but something about this card appealed to me once I saw it. I'm a sucker for interesting hardware, I guess, and a small form factor 970 direct shipped from a company that isn't sold in the US fits that bill perfectly. :)

Although I'm not sure what you mean about it being a pretty typical 970 - it's under 7" in length, and most of the cards are 8"+, with the blower-style cards coming in at 9.5"?

I think the draw in the shorter cards is just that there are some cases where the standard length ones won't fit - the CM 110 elite I mentioned, for instance, takes up to 210mm cards, ruling out a lot of higher-end cards, but this will fit with lots of room to spare. Although I'm struggling to think of other cases with similar limitations right now.
<3 TR

morphine
TR Staff

Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:17 pm

deruberhanyok wrote:
morphine, I haven't done that before - would it have to be the high temp stuff to keep it from melting again, or is lower temp stuff also workable? That would be interesting to try, especially if it doesn't settle itself over the next few weeks.

I'll be honest that I never did that in a high-heat environment like a graphics card, so I hope that someone else will chime in with the Right Way to do it.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:01 pm

deruberhanyok wrote:
Although I'm not sure what you mean about it being a pretty typical 970 - it's under 7" in length, and most of the cards are 8"+, with the blower-style cards coming in at 9.5"?

My bad, I just glanced at the photo and saw two fans, which is what all the 8"+ normal cards are. All of the mITX stubby cards I've seen to date were single-fan variants.

But, yeah; The CM Elite110 must be the shortest mITX case on the market capable of taking a double-wide card, after that the next smallest thing I can think of is probably the SG05, and since that's perfectly okay with 10" cards, it means that the market for these "compact SFF cards" might be Elite110 owners and not a whole lot else ;)
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

The Egg
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:52 pm

deruberhanyok wrote:
morphine, I haven't done that before - would it have to be the high temp stuff to keep it from melting again, or is lower temp stuff also workable?

I've never done it myself either, but do coils get particularly hot?

deruberhanyok
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:28 pm

Honestly I'm not sure - I've never had a reason to check before. However, I wanted to share two quick updates. First, I forgot to update with pictures:

Pics on dropbox - I resized them to 1152x864 but don't want to spam them all inline.

Card in box, surrounded by foam padding (there was another piece that lays across the top, to the card was very well protected for shipping, even if the box wasn't):
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12234178/galax970oc/100_3176.JPG

The card:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12234178/galax970oc/100_3181.JPG

Compared to my 560ti:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12234178/galax970oc/100_3182.JPG

Installed in the SG05 (it makes the case look so big!):
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12234178/galax970oc/100_3184.JPG

Here's a shot of where the PCI Express power connectors come up. In my system I've got a 2.5" drive in that bay right now, and while it's kind of a tight fit with the power and drive cables all right there, nothing got bumped out of the way. Right-angle SATA connector might help a little but wouldn't have worked for the way I have it routed.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12234178/galax970oc/100_3187.JPG

Just noticed this one came out a little blurry, but it's a shot of the end of the card and motherboard, so you can see how close it is to the edge:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12234178/galax970oc/100_3190.JPG

And, lastly, a shot with a ruler next to it. The ruler was too big to fit into the case entirely so it's bent slightly at the end, hence why it looks like it is saying the shroud is 171mm. It's actually 173 - this was as close as I could get without taking it back out of the system.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12234178/galax970oc/100_3191.JPG

I ran several hours looping of Unigine Valley last night, for a while at 2560x1440, Ultra. Here are the scores if anyone is curious:

FPS: 34.3
Score: 1434
Min FPS: 26.2
Max FPS: 60.2

I also ran it at 1280x720, low, with vsync off, to get the framerates higher and see if I could get it to make noise again. It did, though whether it made a difference yet I couldn't say. I found Borderlands 2 was a good test case; both the main menu screen with the character and landscape on it and in game get that coil buzz/whine sound going, and it doesn't seem to have been affected yet (subjectively).

I figure I'll give it a week or so of "burn in time" before I try doing anything to the card. Even if the noises go away, I may remove the heatsink to reapply thermal goop and see if there are any open coils/chokes that could be isolated with some hot glue anyways. If/when I get to that point I'll take a few shots of the board without the heatsink.

And then, their tech support, which is AWESOME. This was just this morning:

How about this for AMAZING tech support.

I emailed Galax this morning, figuring I'd check with them about the coil whine before I went and tried to do anything to the card myself. Here's the timeline:

8:48AM - I email saying, "hey, I bought this card and it's got some whine, any suggestions?"
10:32AM - they reply, asking when the noise started and if I'd verified it wasn't coming from the PSU, and to send along a copy of my invoice for them to forward to the RMA dept if needed.
10:45AM - I reply, explaining it didn't happen with my old card, it's definitely coming from the video card somewhere, and asking if they need just the invoice or if the order confirmation/paypal receipt will do (I'm at work and don't have the invoice with me)
10:57AM - they get back to me, saying the confirmation email and paypal email are fine
11:07AM - I send them as attachments
12:51PM - they reply asking for my address and phone number to finalize the RMA request

Total time from initial email to RMA completion? FOUR HOURS. That is absolutely insane.

I was thinking I'd give it a few more days burn-in, but I'm just going to go with their offer of sending a replacement instead.

I'm impressed.
<3 TR

deruberhanyok
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:48 pm

Just to close the loop on this, Galaxy's tech support got back to me on the 30th and referenced widespread reports of coil whine on many different models of 970, then offered me the option of a replacement or refund.

I decided to go with the refund, and wait out the rest of the 900 series launch to see how things shake out with later revisions of the 970 or the new 960 or whatever else.
<3 TR

wingless
Gerbil XP

Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:21 pm

deruberhanyok wrote:
Just to close the loop on this, Galaxy's tech support got back to me on the 30th and referenced widespread reports of coil whine on many different models of 970, then offered me the option of a replacement or refund.

I decided to go with the refund, and wait out the rest of the 900 series launch to see how things shake out with later revisions of the 970 or the new 960 or whatever else.

I'd like to add a little tidbit about coil whine I've read about around the net:

Coil whine can, and may mostly, be caused by bad power from the PSU. Most of us think our PSUs are great, but in reality, electrically they may be all over the place.
Intel Core i7 2600K | 16GB DDR3-2133 | ASUS P8Z77-V Pro | Silverstone 750W | ASUS Strix GTX 980 OC | ASUS Xonar DSX/S.M.S.L. M2 USB DAC | Samsung 840 Pro | A bunch of HDDs and a lot of TBs.

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:20 pm

deruberhanyok wrote:
Coils whine/buzz of some sort.... and fan noise is very quiet at idle, lots of fan noise at load. But this is the price paid for a small form factor, high end budget brand video card.

FTFY
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod