Personal computing discussed

Moderator: Dposcorp

 
dashbarron
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author
Posts: 293
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:49 am

Optical Media Stream

Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:51 pm

Howdy Gerbils. Can't find anything that does this yet so deferring to your collective and vast wisdom.

I'm using a home server w/ Plex to stream to my TV. Need something I can pop in a DVD and stream too. Can't believe there's not a million different pieces of software that will do this? Apparently Plex used to 8 years ago but it's no longer supported.

Got a collection of about 550 DVDs and not enough HD space to convert them all to MKVs yet.
 
Chuckaluphagus
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite
Posts: 688
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:29 pm
Location: Boston area, MA

Re: Optical Media Stream

Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:25 pm

 
techguy
Gerbil Team Leader
Posts: 272
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:12 am

Re: Optical Media Stream

Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:42 pm

dashbarron wrote:
Howdy Gerbils. Can't find anything that does this yet so deferring to your collective and vast wisdom.

I'm using a home server w/ Plex to stream to my TV. Need something I can pop in a DVD and stream too. Can't believe there's not a million different pieces of software that will do this? Apparently Plex used to 8 years ago but it's no longer supported.

Got a collection of about 550 DVDs and not enough HD space to convert them all to MKVs yet.


HD storage is cheap. DVDs are tiny. Buy literally one 3TB hard drive or larger and your problem will be solved. I have nine 4TB drives in my Plex media server, storing approximately 1000 full quality Blu-ray rips.
 
dashbarron
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author
Posts: 293
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:49 am

Re: Optical Media Stream

Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:20 pm

Chuckaluphagus wrote:


Have you ever used it yourself?

VLC was one of the first things I tried. I can see other DNLA stream sources, like Plex, but I've been unable to stream outwards to a TV with it. There's half a dozen different protocols to try, and either I don't understand how to use it or it doesn't work.
 
Waco
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Posts: 2032
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:14 pm
Location: Los Alamos, NM

Re: Optical Media Stream

Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:17 pm

Steam Link will do this pretty easily (just play in VLC and cast your desktop).

That said, a good quality rip of a DVD is only going to be 1-2 GB if you use a good codec. You're talking about a few TB at most for rips...
Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon | 6700K @ 4.5 | 16 GB | GTX Titan X | Seasonix Gold 850 | XSPC RX360 | Heatkiller R3 | D5 + RP-452X2 | Cosmos II | Samsung 4K 40" | 480 + 240 + LSI 9207-8i (128x8) SSDs
 
EzioAs
Silver subscriber
Gerbil
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 9:50 am

Re: Optical Media Stream

Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:33 pm

How about Serviio?

EDIT: There's a way to stream DVDs but through VLC according to their wiki http://wiki.serviio.org/doku.php?id=stream_dvd
Intel Core i5-3570K | MSI Z77A-GD65 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHz | Palit Jetstream GTX 1060 6GB | Corsair HX750i | Corsair Obsidian 750D | 320GB WD Blue | 1TB Samsung F3 | 2TB WD Black
 
dashbarron
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author
Posts: 293
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:49 am

Re: Optical Media Stream

Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:17 am

Waco wrote:
Steam Link will do this pretty easily (just play in VLC and cast your desktop).

That said, a good quality rip of a DVD is only going to be 1-2 GB if you use a good codec. You're talking about a few TB at most for rips...


I'm not an audio/visual guy and never understood the ins and outs of codecs, bitrates, and all that jazz. I tried Handbrake and kept the default resolution and settings, and the quality seemed to be the same. Don't remember the footprint of the file, but it was something along those lines.

I do want to back these all up, just don't can't do it ATM.

EzioAs wrote:
How about Serviio?

EDIT: There's a way to stream DVDs but through VLC according to their wiki http://wiki.serviio.org/doku.php?id=stream_dvd


Will try. I found a one-off program late last night that could stream, but it was pretty distorted/unbuffered. I think I might be hitting into a bandwidth issue trying to play these back and stream smooth?

I'll try this program and see if it works. I can't believe there aren't other people out there with media PCs trying to do the same thing. Some of us use a network of squirrel's to relay internet data. I'm currently typing this off on a typewriter and handing it off to my most trusted red-tails.
 
just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Posts: 49671
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: Optical Media Stream

Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:22 am

dashbarron wrote:
I can't believe there aren't other people out there with media PCs trying to do the same thing.

As a guess, most people either rip the DVDs, or just use a DVD drive/player located by the TV. Having to go pop a physical DVD into a drive on a media server somewhere else in the apartment/house kinda seems to defeat most of the purpose of having the media server in the first place? So yeah, I think your use case is an unusual one.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
 
HERETIC
Gerbil XP
Posts: 396
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:10 am

Re: Optical Media Stream

Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:58 am

just brew it! wrote:
As a guess, most people either rip the DVDs, or just use a DVD drive/player located by the TV. Having to go pop a physical DVD into a drive on a media server somewhere else in the apartment/house kinda seems to defeat most of the purpose of having the media server in the first place? So yeah, I think your use case is an unusual one.

Nice one JBI. Reminds me of when DVD's first came out and we had to get console from sons room to play-ha ha.

Which brings me to the question-
How is the media server connected to the TV???
Is the server headless or does it have a monitor???
If it has a monitor-or you have one you can hook up-does the DVD play with VLC???

If your trying to use some old slow wireless it's possible DVD bitrate/data is too much for it.
 
dashbarron
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author
Posts: 293
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:49 am

Re: Optical Media Stream

Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:19 am

HERETIC wrote:

Which brings me to the question-
How is the media server connected to the TV???
Is the server headless or does it have a monitor???
If it has a monitor-or you have one you can hook up-does the DVD play with VLC???

If your trying to use some old slow wireless it's possible DVD bitrate/data is too much for it.



Yes, has a monitor. Tried VLC and while I can play another stream services I wasn't able to figure out how to stream from it. I see the options for the different protocols and have tried a dozen configurations. It's wirelessly connected to a TV via a new Archer C7 router. There's no other Wi-Fi signals. On the programs I could get to cast, it couldn't buffer fast enough? I assume the DVD playback being slow is the largest problem. Not sure how bitrate, bandwidth, and file size play into the rest of it. If I ripped it, then it would be OK.

The JBI has spoken. Assume there's no resolution to it. Thanks anyways guys.
 
just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Posts: 49671
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: Optical Media Stream

Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:37 am

Just because it's an unusual use case doesn't mean there isn't a solution. But finding info is going to be harder, simply because fewer people have done it.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
 
The Egg
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Posts: 2234
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:46 pm

Re: Optical Media Stream

Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:41 pm

techguy wrote:
I have nine 4TB drives in my Plex media server, storing approximately 1000 full quality Blu-ray rips.

That's some pretty serious home storage. I started doing the same thing (on a much smaller scale), but then became aware of another option. The Vudu service allows you to add movies to a digital collection for $1 each (provided you have the physical copy to insert for verification). You can then watch them on any Roku or streaming device with ease.

Of course $1 per title will get expensive if you have 1,000, but it's still a good chunk less than a NAS and all the storage needed (not to mention exponentially less messing around, or worrying about drives dying). For standard DVDs I'd probably stick with just a local copy, as they require much less storage. I use a Raspberry Pi with purchased VC1 and MPEG2 codecs (about $4.50) for local playback.
 
just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Posts: 49671
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: Optical Media Stream

Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:56 pm

The Egg wrote:
That's some pretty serious home storage. I started doing the same thing (on a much smaller scale), but then became aware of another option. The Vudu service allows you to add movies to a digital collection for $1 each (provided you have the physical copy to insert for verification). You can then watch them on any Roku or streaming device with ease.

The problem with something like this is that if the service goes away, you're out the $1/movie. Unless I'm mistaken, doing what you're describing also puts their business model in a grey area with respect to copyright law and "fair use", so getting shut down by the courts is a very real possibility.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
 
The Egg
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Posts: 2234
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:46 pm

Re: Optical Media Stream

Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:52 pm

just brew it! wrote:
The Egg wrote:
That's some pretty serious home storage. I started doing the same thing (on a much smaller scale), but then became aware of another option. The Vudu service allows you to add movies to a digital collection for $1 each (provided you have the physical copy to insert for verification). You can then watch them on any Roku or streaming device with ease.

The problem with something like this is that if the service goes away, you're out the $1/movie. Unless I'm mistaken, doing what you're describing also puts their business model in a grey area with respect to copyright law and "fair use", so getting shut down by the courts is a very real possibility.

That's always a valid concern whenever you invest money with the expectation of continued service, though they look to be a pretty big name (owned by Walmart). Keep in mind that nine 4TB hard drives have a list price of roughly $1350 (plus the NAS unit, plus electricity costs), and will have depreciated in 5 years (if some haven't died outright). You've also got your time, and (if you're an average Joe) the difficulty in setting things up.

As for copyrights, it's one of the main services they offer, and seem to have all the big studios on board. There's always the possibility that the rug could be pulled out from underneath, but I don't see anything on the horizon. You'd still have your hard-copies of course, and being a big name, I would expect some sort of refund.
 
just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Posts: 49671
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: Optical Media Stream

Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:25 pm

The Egg wrote:
That's always a valid concern whenever you invest money with the expectation of continued service, though they look to be a pretty big name (owned by Walmart). Keep in mind that nine 4TB hard drives have a list price of roughly $1350 (plus the NAS unit, plus electricity costs), and will have depreciated in 5 years (if some haven't died outright). You've also got your time, and (if you're an average Joe) the difficulty in setting things up.

Even if all 550 of OP's DVDs are full-length double-layer discs, the entire collection will still fit on a single 5TB HDD, and he's already running a media server. So you're looking at around $150 up front plus the incremental power usage of a single HDD. Even if he gets two HDDs (one for backup so he doesn't have to re-rip if the HDD goes south), that's still only $300 up front.

Power usage of the HDD will be around $10/year (assuming $0.15/kWH), even if it spins 24x7 (no power management).

At $1 a pop it's $550 to do it thru Vudu.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
 
Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil
Posts: 1342
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:44 am

Re: Optical Media Stream

Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:26 pm

Being owned by someone big just makes it easier for the parent company to cut the cord and throw them to the wolves. I've no idea if that's what Walmart would do, but I doubt the revenue brought in by Vudu is anything more than a rounding error in comparison.

dashbarron wrote:
On the programs I could get to cast, it couldn't buffer fast enough?


That may be caused by the wireless. I've never had any trouble streaming from online services over wireless, but streaming directly from a disc at its native bitrate might be a different story. It should work given good conditions, but when I got a new TV I skipped the wireless and ran an ethernet cable to it just in case.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.
 
just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Posts: 49671
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: Optical Media Stream

Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:39 pm

Redocbew wrote:
That may be caused by the wireless. I've never had any trouble streaming from online services over wireless, but streaming directly from a disc at its native bitrate might be a different story. It should work given good conditions, but when I got a new TV I skipped the wireless and ran an ethernet cable to it just in case.

Native bitrate of DVD is 11 Mb/s.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
 
The Egg
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Posts: 2234
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:46 pm

Re: Optical Media Stream

Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:57 pm

just brew it! wrote:
The Egg wrote:
That's always a valid concern whenever you invest money with the expectation of continued service, though they look to be a pretty big name (owned by Walmart). Keep in mind that nine 4TB hard drives have a list price of roughly $1350 (plus the NAS unit, plus electricity costs), and will have depreciated in 5 years (if some haven't died outright). You've also got your time, and (if you're an average Joe) the difficulty in setting things up.

Even if all 550 of OP's DVDs are full-length double-layer discs, the entire collection will still fit on a single 5TB HDD, and he's already running a media server. So you're looking at around $150 up front plus the incremental power usage of a single HDD. Even if he gets two HDDs (one for backup so he doesn't have to re-rip if the HDD goes south), that's still only $300 up front.
Power usage of the HDD will be around $10/year (assuming $0.15/kWH), even if it spins 24x7 (no power management).
At $1 a pop it's $550 to do it thru Vudu.

I was more referring to Techguy's 1,000 blu-rays and nine 4TB HDDs. Standard DVDs are small enough to not be an issue, and I agree that a local copy makes much more sense in that case.


Redocbew wrote:
Being owned by someone big just makes it easier for the parent company to cut the cord and throw them to the wolves. I've no idea if that's what Walmart would do, but I doubt the revenue brought in by Vudu is anything more than a rounding error in comparison.

Again, it's not without its risks; just another option to consider. Mechanical drives have a finite lifespan, so it's not as though a big investment in storage is any less shaky if you look at the 5+ year plan.
 
HERETIC
Gerbil XP
Posts: 396
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:10 am

Re: Optical Media Stream

Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:21 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Even if all 550 of OP's DVDs are full-length double-layer discs, the entire collection will still fit on a single 5TB HDD, and he's already running a media server. So you're looking at around $150 up front plus the incremental power usage of a single HDD. Even if he gets two HDDs (one for backup so he doesn't have to re-rip if the HDD goes south), that's still only $300 up front.


And around 550 GB in good quality H264 or 385 GB in HEVC-H265.
Do not recommend H265 for anything that is already a little grainy thro...............
 
HERETIC
Gerbil XP
Posts: 396
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:10 am

Re: Optical Media Stream

Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:42 pm

dashbarron wrote:
Yes, has a monitor. Tried VLC and while I can play another stream services I wasn't able to figure out how to stream from it. I see the options for the different protocols and have tried a dozen configurations. It's wirelessly connected to a TV via a new Archer C7 router. There's no other Wi-Fi signals. On the programs I could get to cast, it couldn't buffer fast enough? I assume the DVD playback being slow is the largest problem. Not sure how bitrate, bandwidth, and file size play into the rest of it. If I ripped it, then it would be OK.

The JBI has spoken. Assume there's no resolution to it. Thanks anyways guys.


Never "Ass"ume anything-It might not be practical but running a cable should solve your problem.
 
ludi
Darth Gerbil
Posts: 7441
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2002 10:47 pm
Location: Sunny Colorado front range

Re: Optical Media Stream

Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:11 am

I have trouble seeing why a disk upgrade is impractical for this situation, unless you're thinking about archiving the actual VOB files from your discs. Compressed DVD rips need not exceed 800MB/hour or thereabouts for casual viewing. Some types of flicks (especially anything animated) may be even less.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration
 
just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Posts: 49671
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: Optical Media Stream

Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:42 am

ludi wrote:
I have trouble seeing why a disk upgrade is impractical for this situation, unless you're thinking about archiving the actual VOB files from your discs. Compressed DVD rips need not exceed 800MB/hour or thereabouts for casual viewing. Some types of flicks (especially anything animated) may be even less.

Even if he's saving un-transcoded VOBs, HDD space has gotten cheap enough that it would represent a tiny fraction (single-digit percentage) of the original cost of the DVDs.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
 
dashbarron
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author
Posts: 293
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:49 am

Re: Optical Media Stream

Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:34 am

Media service stemming from main PC used for other tasks. While I have no concerns running it, it's not running 24/7 like a dedicated server. Besides the other minor things on the Board, the CPU fan only kicks on about 10% of the time, at random. Not sure how much more heat abuse the CPU will take, especially as summer approaches. In need of dire replacement, but I digress. I have a full fledged older PowerEdge server. It has relatively no storage. Per my meter, the energy usages for 24/7 are about $50 on the monstrosity, which seems steep? I wanted to look at ebaying, finding newer used, or use my current PC case and rebuild a cheaper much more energy efficient server to host the Plex and everything else.

^ These are problems that are solvable with money. But yes, would like to start ripping these all back to drives as soon as possible.

just brew it! wrote:
Redocbew wrote:
That may be caused by the wireless. I've never had any trouble streaming from online services over wireless, but streaming directly from a disc at its native bitrate might be a different story. It should work given good conditions, but when I got a new TV I skipped the wireless and ran an ethernet cable to it just in case.

Native bitrate of DVD is 11 Mb/s.


A single stream AC router should allow somewhere around 500 Mbits, yes? No idea why it wouldn't work. Wi-fi signal is strong and no other in the area. Did a major remodel and never included Ethernet out there because I figured such a small space Wi-fi would be plenty. 5 new wall RJ-45's in the office with the beautiful LED trim though :)

The Egg wrote:
techguy wrote:
I have nine 4TB drives in my Plex media server, storing approximately 1000 full quality Blu-ray rips.

That's some pretty serious home storage. I started doing the same thing (on a much smaller scale), but then became aware of another option. The Vudu service allows you to add movies to a digital collection for $1 each (provided you have the physical copy to insert for verification). You can then watch them on any Roku or streaming device with ease.


Never heard about this service before. Looking at it now, but for the cost would pass. I hate to spend money on DVDs I've...already purchased. I have the DVD copies because streaming Netflix was non existent and the ISP was only 3Mbps. Now I'm up to 10 Mbps, woot. Service is extremely overloaded, and practically useless during primetime. Looking to do a direct P2P with a 911 tower fiber connection for a 20/4 over the next two weeks. Point being, streaming services have never been reliable so have to stick to stored media for now.

Have been using handbrake
 
just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Posts: 49671
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: Optical Media Stream

Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:03 am

dashbarron wrote:
I have a full fledged older PowerEdge server. It has relatively no storage. Per my meter, the energy usages for 24/7 are about $50 on the monstrosity, which seems steep?

Cost of electricity varies a lot by region, and "full fledged older PowerEdge" is kind of ambiguous so I have no idea what the nominal power usage of that server is. That said, if we assume 12 cents per kilowatt hour (the US national average) and 250W for the idle power draw of the server (wild-ass guess), that works out to 72 cents/day, or $21.60 per month. So yeah $50 seems kind of high, but not outrageously so.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
 
HERETIC
Gerbil XP
Posts: 396
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:10 am

Re: Optical Media Stream

Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:31 am

dashbarron wrote:
Media service stemming from main PC used for other tasks. Besides the other minor things on the Board, the CPU fan only kicks on about 10% of the time, at random. Not sure how much more heat abuse the CPU will take, especially as summer approaches. In need of dire replacement, but I digress.

Have been using handbrake


Pick up a cheap aftermarket cooler like a 212EVO or even a TX3/103.
If it's the fan header on the board that's the problem-try another header or even a molex.

TS did a good Handbrake article a while back-It's mainly about H265,but a lot still applies to H264........
http://www.techspot.com/article/1131-he ... -playback/
good luck
 
Waco
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Posts: 2032
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:14 pm
Location: Los Alamos, NM

Re: Optical Media Stream

Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:00 pm

just brew it! wrote:
That said, if we assume 12 cents per kilowatt hour (the US national average) and 250W for the idle power draw of the server (wild-ass guess), that works out to 72 cents/day, or $21.60 per month. So yeah $50 seems kind of high, but not outrageously so.

250 watts idle? Jeebus, it's not 2003!

Modern machines (even nearly decade-old machines) don't idle that high, not even servers. My somewhat outdated (in terms of generation) Haswell quad-core Xeon server with dual LSI RAID cards, 16 2 TB 7200 RPM HDDs, and a few sticks of RAM idles at around 50 watts.

Under load (which it rarely is) it's higher, but idle power on almost anything these days is south of 100 watts. Even my older Excavator class servers with dual 8 core high clocked CPUs idle at under 100 watts with a full complement of eight DIMMs, HDDs/SSDs, fibre channel cards, 10G NICs, and RAID controllers.
Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon | 6700K @ 4.5 | 16 GB | GTX Titan X | Seasonix Gold 850 | XSPC RX360 | Heatkiller R3 | D5 + RP-452X2 | Cosmos II | Samsung 4K 40" | 480 + 240 + LSI 9207-8i (128x8) SSDs
 
just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Posts: 49671
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: Optical Media Stream

Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:34 am

Waco wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
That said, if we assume 12 cents per kilowatt hour (the US national average) and 250W for the idle power draw of the server (wild-ass guess), that works out to 72 cents/day, or $21.60 per month. So yeah $50 seems kind of high, but not outrageously so.

250 watts idle? Jeebus, it's not 2003!

He did say "older"... and that it looked like it was using $50 worth of power (I assume he meant per month). If he meant per year, then never mind. :wink:

For all I know it's got a RAID array of 10K SCSI drives and a half dozen leafblower-level fans, which would push the power usage way up. My dually Athlon MP idled at around 150W, and that was without any storage devices. (I measured it because I was thinking of firing it back up and re-purposing it as a server; decided not to when I saw the power numbers.)
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
 
Glorious
Gold subscriber
Grand Admiral Gerbil
Posts: 10265
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2002 6:35 pm

Re: Optical Media Stream

Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:33 am

Waco wrote:
My somewhat outdated (in terms of generation) Haswell quad-core Xeon server with dual LSI RAID cards, 16 2 TB 7200 RPM HDDs, and a few sticks of RAM idles at around 50 watts.


Not everyone spins the HDs down, but yeah. It's crazy!

I finally threw in the towel a few weeks ago with my crappy Marvell SATA controller card. Too many spurious disconnects/link downgrades.

So I got a $205 HP ML10 v2 with an i3-4150 and 8GB of ECC RAM plus bonus 500GB 7200rpm drive from Newegg (good deal, now out of stock) and moved the drives over and NFS'd. Boot being a Samsung FIT 3.0 USB 32GB flash drive (which while not excellent, performed much better than I even expected!)

With all drives spinning, I got 48 watts at idle if I remember correctly.

Literally, the system fan uses more power at startup (before OS control) than the CPU does at idle. And this is clearly intended to be a pedestal case for like a break room/occupied office, not a rack-mounted datacenter screamer.

As Waco has said before, we're at the point where for those rack mounted servers, yeah, the fans use more, even at their idle, than the CPUs do at theirs.

JBI wrote:
For all I know it's got a RAID array of 10K SCSI drives and a half dozen leafblower-level fans, which would push the power usage way up. My dually Athlon MP idled at around 150W, and that was without any storage devices. (I measured it because I was thinking of firing it back up and re-purposing it as a server; decided not to when I saw the power numbers.)


I retired my Opteron 175 for power reasons.
 
SecretSquirrel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Posts: 2296
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: The Colony, TX (Dallas suburb)
Contact:

Re: Optical Media Stream

Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:29 pm

$50 a month would be quite excessive. $50 a year would be more in line, but low. My main storage server is an Intel OEM 2U "Grizzly Pass" chassis with a pair of E5-2650 processors, 32GB of memory, and 16 1TB, 7200RPM, 2.5" drives. It averages around 170W. My VM host has 8 600GB drives and 128GB of memory and averages around 225W with a couple of VMs running. Together, they cost me around $315 a year to run. My power is about $0.09/KWh. Even running full bore, they top out at about 450W a piece. The system would have to be pulling nearly 600W on average to cost $50 a month (assuming $0.12/KWh power). Maybe if you've got a pretty massive video card and your folding 24x7 on two high end CPUs and the GPU, you could get 600W continuous average power draw.

Or, the OP lives in California or somewhere else were electricity costs are extremely high.

--SS
 
just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Posts: 49671
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: Optical Media Stream

Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:56 pm

I doubt he'd be complaining if it was only $50/year though...
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest