Personal computing discussed

Moderator: Dposcorp

 
Acidicheartburn
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author
Posts: 123
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:12 pm

Purchasing Windows 10

Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:21 pm

I'm building a media PC and must have Windows 10 for it. I'm a little confused about the pricing and what version to buy.

Windows 10 home is about $120, though it can be found from Microcenter for $110 for an OEM licensed version. However, I'm also seeing it for sale for as low as under $40 via a google search: https://www.google.com/search?q=buy+windows+10&source=lnms&tbm=shop&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjSjK-v6JHXAhXk5YMKHRFxCDUQ_AUICigB&biw=1472&bih=725

One of the sellers is "MSOffice Works": https://msofficeworks.com/product/microsoft-windows-10-professional-64-bit-instant-download?gclid=CjwKCAjwssvPBRBBEiwASFoVd5d-jVqirFFAXAgA69dizlVGHXd-GrOU0U78gxHqlZ9rHZbCpKcZMRoC83MQAvD_BwE

Another is "software ports"where they offer a few different versions of Win 10: https://softwareports.com/product-category/software/operating-systems/

Are these places selling these various versions of Win 10 for far cheaper than Newegg, Microsoft, or Microcenter legitimate? Google lists seller ratings for both, 4/5 stars with 869 reviews for MSOffice Works and 5/5 stars with 622 reviews. I'm assuming these reviews could be faked?

And what's the deal with the product naming on the software ports website? They have some that say full version and some that don't, but both are the same price. How/are these different from your normal Windows OEM one time use license?
 
ludi
Darth Gerbil
Posts: 7450
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2002 10:47 pm
Location: Sunny Colorado front range

Re: Purchasing Windows 10

Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:28 pm

Sellers who aren't offering the full, sealed retail package (which is the only one that can be resold with Microsoft's blessing) are usually offering some combination of a bulk, refurb, or OEM kit that may work but is probably not licensed for resale and may not be supported by Microsoft if you run into activation problems later.

If you want to go that route, I suggest searching "WIndows 10 Pro OEM" on eBay and looking for sellers in the $40-60 range who show pictures of the OEM package with DVD, CoA, and sealed red tape. These are usually system builder kits that are not technically licensed for resale or distribution except with a new PC, but as long as it is installed and activated on one and only one new PC, it won't cause problems with Microsoft's activation process.
Last edited by ludi on Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration
 
jihadjoe
Gerbil Elite
Posts: 616
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:34 am

Re: Purchasing Windows 10

Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:28 pm

If you have a 7/8/8.1 license or can get one for cheap, you can still upgrade to 10 for free using the Accessibility site

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessi ... s10upgrade
 
Acidicheartburn
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author
Posts: 123
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:12 pm

Re: Purchasing Windows 10

Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:45 pm

ludi wrote:
Sellers who aren't offering the full, sealed retail package (which is the only one that can be resold with Microsoft's blessing) are usually offering some combination of a bulk, refurb, or OEM kit that may work but is probably not licensed for resale and may not be supported by Microsoft if you run into activation problems later.

If you want to go that route, I suggest searching "WIndows 10 Pro OEM" on eBay and looking for sellers in the $40-60 range who show pictures of the OEM package with DVD, CoA, and sealed red tape. These are usually system builder kits that are not technically licensed for resale or distribution except with a new PC, but as long as it is installed and activated on one and only one new PC, it won't cause problems with Microsoft's activation process.


In the past, I usually always bought an OEM version of Vista or 7, usually through Newegg. These were always one-motherboard use licenses, and were usually about $110 or so, while the regular/full licenses were almost twice that. Now what's the difference between the OEM for $100 vs the "normal" versions for $20 more? Can these non-OEM versions be installed on different motherboards like the full versions of Vista and 7 were able to?

jihadjoe wrote:
If you have a 7/8/8.1 license or can get one for cheap, you can still upgrade to 10 for free using the Accessibility site

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessi ... s10upgrade

This is an entirely new computer, no existing license available.
 
freebird
Gerbil
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:03 pm

Re: Purchasing Windows 10

Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:01 pm

Acidicheartburn wrote:
ludi wrote:
Sellers who aren't offering the full, sealed retail package (which is the only one that can be resold with Microsoft's blessing) are usually offering some combination of a bulk, refurb, or OEM kit that may work but is probably not licensed for resale and may not be supported by Microsoft if you run into activation problems later.

If you want to go that route, I suggest searching "WIndows 10 Pro OEM" on eBay and looking for sellers in the $40-60 range who show pictures of the OEM package with DVD, CoA, and sealed red tape. These are usually system builder kits that are not technically licensed for resale or distribution except with a new PC, but as long as it is installed and activated on one and only one new PC, it won't cause problems with Microsoft's activation process.


In the past, I usually always bought an OEM version of Vista or 7, usually through Newegg. These were always one-motherboard use licenses, and were usually about $110 or so, while the regular/full licenses were almost twice that. Now what's the difference between the OEM for $100 vs the "normal" versions for $20 more? Can these non-OEM versions be installed on different motherboards like the full versions of Vista and 7 were able to?

jihadjoe wrote:
If you have a 7/8/8.1 license or can get one for cheap, you can still upgrade to 10 for free using the Accessibility site

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessi ... s10upgrade

This is an entirely new computer, no existing license available.


I think the upgrade, just checks if a Windows 7 key is valid. You might be able to use one from another computer if you want to try it. Or you could even buy an "used" Dell or something being sold on any # of sites use the key, use the parts or sell them on ebay if you want to go that route. Especially when Newegg or someone else is selling some cheap off lease old PCs for around $200 or so.
 
DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Posts: 3186
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:50 pm
Location: Wisconsin, USA

Re: Purchasing Windows 10

Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:08 pm

https://www.bonanza.com/listings/Windows-10-Home-32-64-Lifetime-Key/505443914
For $10 I'll give it a try next time I need a Win10 license on a build. (Got that link from someone else at TR)
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod
 
travbrad
Gerbil XP
Posts: 419
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:39 pm

Re: Purchasing Windows 10

Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:47 pm

Acidicheartburn wrote:
In the past, I usually always bought an OEM version of Vista or 7, usually through Newegg. These were always one-motherboard use licenses, and were usually about $110 or so, while the regular/full licenses were almost twice that. Now what's the difference between the OEM for $100 vs the "normal" versions for $20 more? Can these non-OEM versions be installed on different motherboards like the full versions of Vista and 7 were able to?


Yep the "normal" version can be transferred to other mobos without problems. The OEM version technically can't (you might be able to talk Microsoft into it, but it's not guaranteed). The extra $20 doesn't seem bad to me for some peace of mind.

Of course if you find those keys for cheap, you could probably buy multiple keys anyway for the price of a full retail copy in the first place. I think they usually "work" from everything I've heard about them, but a lot of them probably aren't technically "legit" keys for personal system builders. Probably not an issue in most cases since they activate fine but calling Microsoft for help re-activating in the future might not go so well.
6700K @ 4.6ghz || ASUS Sabertooth Z170 S || Crucial Ballistix DDR4-2400 16GB
ASUS STRIX GTX 970 || EVGA Supernova 750W G2 || Noctua NH-D15 || Fractal Define R5
Crucial MX200 500GB || 2x WD Blue 6TB || 2x WDGreen 2TB
Philips 272G5DYEB || Dell U2312HM
 
CScottG
Gerbil Elite
Posts: 959
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:53 pm

Re: Purchasing Windows 10

Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:38 pm

 
HERETIC
Gerbil XP
Posts: 396
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:10 am

Re: Purchasing Windows 10

Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:22 pm

Acidicheartburn wrote:

jihadjoe wrote:
If you have a 7/8/8.1 license or can get one for cheap, you can still upgrade to 10 for free using the Accessibility site

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessi ... s10upgrade

This is an entirely new computer, no existing license available.


Bit messy,but if money is tight-
W7 licence's can be had for around $10 on ebay.
Install W7.
Update to 10
Once activated do a fresh install of 10...............
good luck.
 
Acidicheartburn
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author
Posts: 123
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:12 pm

Re: Purchasing Windows 10

Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:53 pm

freebird wrote:
Acidicheartburn wrote:
ludi wrote:
Sellers who aren't offering the full, sealed retail package (which is the only one that can be resold with Microsoft's blessing) are usually offering some combination of a bulk, refurb, or OEM kit that may work but is probably not licensed for resale and may not be supported by Microsoft if you run into activation problems later.

If you want to go that route, I suggest searching "WIndows 10 Pro OEM" on eBay and looking for sellers in the $40-60 range who show pictures of the OEM package with DVD, CoA, and sealed red tape. These are usually system builder kits that are not technically licensed for resale or distribution except with a new PC, but as long as it is installed and activated on one and only one new PC, it won't cause problems with Microsoft's activation process.


In the past, I usually always bought an OEM version of Vista or 7, usually through Newegg. These were always one-motherboard use licenses, and were usually about $110 or so, while the regular/full licenses were almost twice that. Now what's the difference between the OEM for $100 vs the "normal" versions for $20 more? Can these non-OEM versions be installed on different motherboards like the full versions of Vista and 7 were able to?

jihadjoe wrote:
If you have a 7/8/8.1 license or can get one for cheap, you can still upgrade to 10 for free using the Accessibility site

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessi ... s10upgrade

This is an entirely new computer, no existing license available.


I think the upgrade, just checks if a Windows 7 key is valid. You might be able to use one from another computer if you want to try it. Or you could even buy an "used" Dell or something being sold on any # of sites use the key, use the parts or sell them on ebay if you want to go that route. Especially when Newegg or someone else is selling some cheap off lease old PCs for around $200 or so.

I'm having a hard time seeing how it makes sense to buy a $200 computer to get the Win 7 key from it when I could just outright Buy a full version of 10 for half that.
 
CScottG
Gerbil Elite
Posts: 959
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:53 pm

Re: Purchasing Windows 10

Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:35 pm

Yeah, you can get the OS from MS and then purchase a Windows 10 key from EBAY for less than $5:

ex.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Instant-Windows- ... 0005.m1851



-and really, MS has transitioned from OS provider to a provider of analytics (..basically mining your data) - so your Windows OS really should be free considering that they are using your information (..though I don't mind a modest surcharge). I just wish they would come clean and flat-out state that they are using your data.
 
ozzuneoj
Gerbil Elite
Posts: 518
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:27 pm

Re: Purchasing Windows 10

Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:58 pm

I believe you can still fresh install Windows 10 using any Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 key, assuming you're installing the correct version (Home, Pro, etc.) and that license isn't actively being used on another system.

I've done this several times and just did it last week. The latest Windows 10 installer (downloadable from MS) asks for your key and will install the proper version for that key without even asking you to try to match it up (8 was terrible when trying to match up OEM\retail\upgrade installer versions with the correct keys).
Desktop - i5 2500K@4.5Ghz - MSI P67A-G43 - 16GB DDR3-2133 - PNY GTX 970
HTPC - i7 4790 - Asus B85 - 8GB DDR3-1600 - EVGA GTX 1050 Ti
Selling lots of cool PC stuff on Mercari. Use code VBGQMM for a $10 sign up credit!
 
curtisb
Gerbil XP
Posts: 394
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:27 pm
Location: Oklahoma

Re: Purchasing Windows 10

Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:05 pm

This link has been posted before...also includes games on the cheap.

https://www.hrkgame.com/en/games/produc ... m=software

That also page lists Office 2016 Pro Plus for $33.99. I don't know how they do it, but I haven't seen any indication that these aren't legit keys.
ASUS MAXIMUS VIII HERO | Intel Core i7-6700 | Asus STRIX GTX 970 4GB | 4 x Corsair LPX 8GB | 2 x Crucial MX200 500GB | 2 x Hitachi Deskstar 4TB | Phanteks Eclipse | Seasonic X-850 | Dell UP2516D
 
gecko575
Gerbil
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:53 pm

Re: Purchasing Windows 10

Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:05 pm

Sheesh, seems like most people are totally ok with shady ways of getting windows. Just buy a normal license :)
 
coolflame57
Gerbil
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:46 pm

Re: Purchasing Windows 10

Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:15 pm

You could just use unactivated windows. Look here for more info. Like he says in the video, the only thing you lose out on is being able to customize wallpaper and like one other thing.
 
Neutronbeam
Silver subscriber
Gerbil XP
Posts: 418
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:07 am
Location: Atlanta, Georgia USA
Contact:

Re: Purchasing Windows 10

Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:35 pm

DPete27 wrote:
https://www.bonanza.com/listings/Windows-10-Home-32-64-Lifetime-Key/505443914
For $10 I'll give it a try next time I need a Win10 license on a build. (Got that link from someone else at TR)


That was me. Highly recommended for Win 10 and MSFT Office 2016 Pro and for anti-virus...bought 5 licenses and the vendor upgraded them from 1 year to 3 at no additional cost.
 
Acidicheartburn
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author
Posts: 123
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:12 pm

Re: Purchasing Windows 10

Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:33 pm

Neutronbeam wrote:
DPete27 wrote:
https://www.bonanza.com/listings/Windows-10-Home-32-64-Lifetime-Key/505443914
For $10 I'll give it a try next time I need a Win10 license on a build. (Got that link from someone else at TR)


That was me. Highly recommended for Win 10 and MSFT Office 2016 Pro and for anti-virus...bought 5 licenses and the vendor upgraded them from 1 year to 3 at no additional cost.

Are these 10 keys OEM versions?
 
Bonusbartus
Gerbil
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:06 am
Location: Eindhoven, Netherlands

Re: Purchasing Windows 10

Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:46 pm

HERETIC wrote:
Acidicheartburn wrote:

jihadjoe wrote:
If you have a 7/8/8.1 license or can get one for cheap, you can still upgrade to 10 for free using the Accessibility site

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessi ... s10upgrade

This is an entirely new computer, no existing license available.


Bit messy,but if money is tight-
W7 licence's can be had for around $10 on ebay.
Install W7.
Update to 10
Once activated do a fresh install of 10...............
good luck.

No need, last week I installed a fresh Windows 10 pro on a laptop and activated with an old wondows 7 key I still had afterward, no problem.
(I had some leftover keys from my university msdnaa license ;) )

Also I bought a bunch of keys for windows 10 pro for €9,95 a few months ago from softkeys.nl
A friend does some pc repair for people as a hobby, and he used more than 10 of those keys on pcs running old/not so legal versions of windows without running into any problems.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest