Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

notfred
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Online database for music library

Thu May 24, 2018 8:15 am

I'm looking for an online database equivalent of MS Access or LibreOffice Base where I can store the catalogue for our band's music library.

We currently have a laptop running LibreOffice Base but this means that only the laptop can access it. Access from Android, Chromebooks, i-Things is required.

As well as the catalogue itself, I want to be able to build tables with our concert programs in them so that I can go and do queries to find out when we last played a piece - so this is a bit more than a standard catalogue and why I need a database where I can do proper SQL queries from forms rather than just a spreadsheet. We do this in Base currently.

Anyone got any pointers? Preferably free or very low cost? I do have my own Linux webserver which is already running MySQL and Apache for other things, but I don't really want to spend a bunch of time writing PHP / Perl / Python or similar to try and build something myself. This does mean that I can host it on my server rather than paying for online storage.

SkyWarrior
Gerbil

Re: Online database for music library

Thu May 24, 2018 9:21 am

Use firebase. It is pretty cool. You may develop a small app around it to access from pc handheld etc.
Rare is common where I work...

pink_flower
Gerbil

Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:19 am

Parse server might work for you pretty well as well.

bigfootape
Gerbil

Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:38 am

If you're comfortable with it, you can back end LO Base onto MariaDB, PGSQL, Firebird, etc. Use it to build your schema, migrate the data, then layer an interface of your choice on top.
A novice asked the master: "What is the true meaning of programming?"
The master replied: "Eat when you are hungry, sleep when you are fatigued, program when the moment is right."
-- The Tao of Programming