Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

 
Noldor
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author
Posts: 234
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:48 am

Windows 10 ocassionally freezes in youtube

Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:29 am

I have occasionally experienced some Win10 freezes on my laptop when watching youtube videos (for instance like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wijrestbx2U&t=2049s - a witcher 1 gameplay video). The laptop completely froze and had to power it down.
My laptop is an Asus TUF A15 with Ryzen 4800H and GeForce 1660Ti.

Any idea what could cause this?
 
meerkt
Gerbil Jedi
Posts: 1692
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:55 am

Re: Windows 10 ocassionally freezes in youtube

Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:14 am

Did you reproduce it reliably enough to know it's about YouTube?

Things I'd try: other video sites, other browsers.
 
Noldor
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author
Posts: 234
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:48 am

Re: Windows 10 ocassionally freezes in youtube

Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:32 am

To the extent that was feasible, yes.

To be more specific: I have this laptop for 2 months. The freezes happened only on 2 YouTube videos (each time that specific video was played), regardless of the browser (Edge or Chrome): that Wicher 1 video and this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nG9jQktPfs. What confuses me is that it's not about YouTube per se, but about these 2 clips from youtube. The huge majority of YouTube videos I've watched (and there were in range of several hundreds probably) played just fine.

The freezes were not random, because they occurred every time one of those clips were played.

Any ideas what is going on?
 
meerkt
Gerbil Jedi
Posts: 1692
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:55 am

Re: Windows 10 ocassionally freezes in youtube

Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:45 am

More things to try:

- Firefox (both Modern Edge and Chrome are Chromium)
- Force YouTube to use h264 (I assume it's otherwise VP9 - check in rclick\"stats for nerds")
- Different YouTube resolution/quality settings
- Disable Chrome's video decode hardware acceleration
 
Noldor
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author
Posts: 234
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:48 am

Re: Windows 10 ocassionally freezes in youtube

Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:53 am

What I would like though is finding out what causes the issue in order to figure out whether there is an issue with the software or the hardware of my laptop; troubleshooting these 2 particular videos is irrelevant.
 
Krogoth
Gerbil Elder
Posts: 5950
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2003 3:20 pm
Location: somewhere on Core Prime
Contact:

Re: Windows 10 ocassionally freezes in youtube

Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:05 am

It might be an issue video driver issues since newer videos used hardware acceleration. I had the same problems with my Vega 64 when it was brand new and AMD RTG later fixed it with a driver release.
Gigabyte Z390 AORUS-PRO Coffee Lake R 9700K, 2x16GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR4-3600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B
 
meerkt
Gerbil Jedi
Posts: 1692
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:55 am

Re: Windows 10 ocassionally freezes in youtube

Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:12 am

Noldor wrote:
in order to figure out whether there is an issue with the software or the hardware of my laptop; troubleshooting these 2 particular videos is irrelevant.


Eliminating causes will help narrowing it down.

If Firefox works okay, and both FF and Chrome use hardware acceleration and same codec, you know it's unlikely to be hardware; if even without hardware acceleration it gets stuck, it's unlikely to be hardware; etc.
 
Noldor
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author
Posts: 234
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:48 am

Re: Windows 10 ocassionally freezes in youtube

Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:20 am

meerkt wrote:
Noldor wrote:
in order to figure out whether there is an issue with the software or the hardware of my laptop; troubleshooting these 2 particular videos is irrelevant.


Eliminating causes will help narrowing it down.

If Firefox works okay, and both FF and Chrome use hardware acceleration and same codec, you know it's unlikely to be hardware; if even without hardware acceleration it gets stuck, it's unlikely to be hardware; etc.


I disabled hardware acceleration in Edge and it seems the freezes no longer occur. What does that mean? Could it be a driver issue with those particular clips?

BTW, forgot to say that a relative mine has the exact same laptop and it does not experience those freezes on the 2 clips.
 
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Posts: 28509
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA

Re: Windows 10 ocassionally freezes in youtube

Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:22 am

Browser hardware acceleration has always been janky.

And no, I have no clue why. It just is.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.
 
Krogoth
Gerbil Elder
Posts: 5950
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2003 3:20 pm
Location: somewhere on Core Prime
Contact:

Re: Windows 10 ocassionally freezes in youtube

Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:34 am

Noldor wrote:
meerkt wrote:
Noldor wrote:
in order to figure out whether there is an issue with the software or the hardware of my laptop; troubleshooting these 2 particular videos is irrelevant.


Eliminating causes will help narrowing it down.

If Firefox works okay, and both FF and Chrome use hardware acceleration and same codec, you know it's unlikely to be hardware; if even without hardware acceleration it gets stuck, it's unlikely to be hardware; etc.


I disabled hardware acceleration in Edge and it seems the freezes no longer occur. What does that mean? Could it be a driver issue with those particular clips?

BTW, forgot to say that a relative mine has the exact same laptop and it does not experience those freezes on the 2 clips.


It could a drive issue but it doesn't rule it out to be a hardware issue (Clockspeed/voltage curve for video playout is in the zone of instability).
Gigabyte Z390 AORUS-PRO Coffee Lake R 9700K, 2x16GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR4-3600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B
 
Krogoth
Gerbil Elder
Posts: 5950
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2003 3:20 pm
Location: somewhere on Core Prime
Contact:

Re: Windows 10 ocassionally freezes in youtube

Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:39 am

Krogoth wrote:
Noldor wrote:
meerkt wrote:

Eliminating causes will help narrowing it down.

If Firefox works okay, and both FF and Chrome use hardware acceleration and same codec, you know it's unlikely to be hardware; if even without hardware acceleration it gets stuck, it's unlikely to be hardware; etc.


I disabled hardware acceleration in Edge and it seems the freezes no longer occur. What does that mean? Could it be a driver issue with those particular clips?

BTW, forgot to say that a relative mine has the exact same laptop and it does not experience those freezes on the 2 clips.


It could a drive issue but it doesn't rule it out to be a hardware issue (Clockspeed/voltage curve for video playout is in the zone of instability).


Browser hardware acceleration has always been janky.

Browser standards have always been janky ever since the beginning. It is unlikely it will change anytime soon.
Gigabyte Z390 AORUS-PRO Coffee Lake R 9700K, 2x16GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR4-3600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B
 
meerkt
Gerbil Jedi
Posts: 1692
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:55 am

Re: Windows 10 ocassionally freezes in youtube

Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:16 am

Noldor wrote:
I disabled hardware acceleration in Edge and it seems the freezes no longer occur. What does that mean? Could it be a driver issue with those particular clips?


Now I'd do the other tests listed above... :)

If Firefox + HW acceleration + same codec + same resolution/quality = good...
 
Noldor
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author
Posts: 234
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:48 am

Re: Windows 10 ocassionally freezes in youtube

Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:03 pm

meerkt wrote:
Noldor wrote:
I disabled hardware acceleration in Edge and it seems the freezes no longer occur. What does that mean? Could it be a driver issue with those particular clips?


Now I'd do the other tests listed above... :)

If Firefox + HW acceleration + same codec + same resolution/quality = good...


It does not seem to occur in Firefox...
 
meerkt
Gerbil Jedi
Posts: 1692
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:55 am

Re: Windows 10 ocassionally freezes in youtube

Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:46 am

Noldor wrote:
It does not seem to occur in Firefox...


With HW acceleration? Now, that's odd.

Freezing Windows is rare. Maybe a combination of a driver bug + Chrome doing something strange? But with such a common software-hardware combination you'd expect other people have encountered and reported it.

A few more things I'd try (while assuring it's hardware-decoded in all cases):
- See if it freezes in Vivaldi, which is also Chromium
- See if it freezes with both h264 and VP9
- Downloading the YT video and playing it with something like MPC-HC

If two hardware-decode playback methods work without freezing I'd lean toward "no faulty hardware", though Chrome's mystery would still bug me.
 
Noldor
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author
Posts: 234
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:48 am

Re: Windows 10 ocassionally freezes in youtube

Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:43 am

meerkt wrote:
Noldor wrote:
It does not seem to occur in Firefox...


With HW acceleration? Now, that's odd.

Freezing Windows is rare. Maybe a combination of a driver bug + Chrome doing something strange? But with such a common software-hardware combination you'd expect other people have encountered and reported it.

A few more things I'd try (while assuring it's hardware-decoded in all cases):
- See if it freezes in Vivaldi, which is also Chromium
- See if it freezes with both h264 and VP9
- Downloading the YT video and playing it with something like MPC-HC

If two hardware-decode playback methods work without freezing I'd lean toward "no faulty hardware", though Chrome's mystery would still bug me.


It does not freeze in Vivaldi ((with hardware acceleration on).

It's not such a common software/hardware combination, though, because, until now, it occurred on just 2 specific youtube videos. So it would have to be someone with the exact same configuration playing those 2 videos AND bothering to report it.
 
meerkt
Gerbil Jedi
Posts: 1692
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:55 am

Re: Windows 10 ocassionally freezes in youtube

Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:59 am

Very strange.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests
GZIP: On