Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

MEATLOAF2
Gerbil
Topic Author

Firefox on two monitors, low performance

Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:06 pm

I'm having some very annoying performance problems when it comes to having 2 maximized firefox windows, one on each 1080p display. I'm hoping someone here has perhaps dealt with this before and can help me solve it. I'll start by posting a few of my specs, mostly because I'm pretty sure it's not at all a hardware problem.

CPU: i5 3570k @4Ghz
GPU: R9 290 4GB
RAM: 8GB
Monitor: 2x 1080p @60hz (both are the same model)

The problem is what appears to be a reduction in frame rate, and it is very noticeable while scrolling. I think it may be a problem with Vsync, but I'm not sure. When I have 2 maximized windows, both generally perform slowly, but are sometimes smooth, seemingly randomly.

I found this site, which runs a little UFO across the screen at various speeds and refresh rates (I'm pretty sure it's used to check for monitor ghosting):

http://www.testufo.com/#test=framerates ... ne&pps=120

I've noticed that when the performance drops, the top one at 60fps appears exactly the same as the 30fps one (which leads me to believe this is a Vsync issue), but the site doesn't report any dropped frames. And, randomly as far as I know, both windows will perform at full speed and the 60fps one is very clearly smooth compared to the bottom one. Sometimes one window will be smooth while the other seems to be capped at 30fps. It seems that any time the window on the second monitor is selected, it degrades the performance for both.

I have smooth scrolling enabled, as well as hardware acceleration. If the window is not maximized, it will perform at full speed always.

So, any possible solutions?

Also, that UFO site is really cool.

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Firefox on two monitors, low performance

Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:29 am

Odd. I don't have my dual monitors hitched up, so kind of useless to you sorry. I do use Waterfox though. Do you get the same issues with it (if you try?)
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

Froz
Gerbil

Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:20 pm

I have smooth scrolling enabled, as well as hardware acceleration.

Smooth scrolling is just an effect that changes instant scrolling to kind of a flow movement. It's less precise in my opinion.

Hardware acceleration can cause performance issues in Firefox, try turning it off.

Other then that, are you sure the problem is only when you have 2 windows opened? I have similar issues with firefox sometimes as well.

Edit: I just realized that I replied in a thread from a month ago. Why exactly is it marked as hot forum thread on the mainpage...?

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:22 am

Froz wrote:
Edit: I just realized that I replied in a thread from a month ago. Why exactly is it marked as hot forum thread on the mainpage...?

If spam gets posted in a thread it gets bumped to the top of the hot threads list. There's a slight delay between the time a mod nukes the spammer and the thread's disappearance from the hot threads list; so if you happen to click on the link within a minute or so of the spam's removal you'll see the thread, but the spam is already gone. Or you may have loaded the front page before the spam was nuked. It is also possible the thread got bumped because someone else replied to the thread then changed their mind and deleted their own post.

My bet is it was spam. We get a lot of canned pork product around here...
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

jackbomb
Gerbil XP

Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:47 am

I had that problem with firefox (and now have the same problem with Chrome).

I have a 2560x1440 monitor and an AV receiver/HDTV running at 1080p. Whenever the monitor and AVR/TV are on at the same time, Chrome will randomly jump back and forth between 60fps and 30. I'm running a GTX 970 on a 4930k.

I think this is just a glitch in Windows' desktop composition (Aero). If you disable Aero it'll probably look much smoother, since you'd also be disabling vsync. Not that I would recommend disabling Aero, as it seems to improve performance in other areas.

Hopefully Windows 10 and WDDM 2.0 corrects this.