Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

pauloorabe
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

How do I recover corrupt file word file frow a flash drive t

Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:21 am

I need to access word files from a memorex travel drive 1gb. I have used this drive before, but it is saying that the drive needs to be formated. If I fromated it will delete all files. How do access my word files without fomating the flash drive?

excession
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: How do I recover corrupt file word file frow a flash dri

Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:51 am

You are probably limited to two options, unfortunately.

First would be to recover the file from your most recent backup.

Second would be to pay a professional data recovery service to get your data back.

There are software packages you can buy which will attempt to automatically recover your data but your mileage will vary with these. Personally, I would avoid them.

If the data is very important, I would unplug the USB stick straight away to avoid any further possible damage to the data!
i5-4670 | Asus H87M-E | MSI GTX 960 | 8GB DDR3 @800 | WD Green 2TB | 850 EVO 250GB | CM Masterkeys Pro L White | MX518 (original!) | Hyper 212 Evo | 6TB Ubuntu/ZFS NAS
I was going to tell a Chemistry joke, but all the good ones argon.

Duct Tape Dude
Gerbil Elite

Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:13 am

I forgot if Recuva can access drives that don't have a drive letter, but you can try it out anyway: http://www.piriform.com/recuva

PhilipMcc
Gerbil First Class

Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:33 am

If you are confident the thumb drive is not infected, try a different PC or different usb port.

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:00 am

Depends on what is wrong with it, but windows can be notoriously difficult with say a corrupted partition table / MBR or similar. Some of those softwares can usually rewrite or detect and fix only the partition table / MBR keeping the rest of the partition intact. So what you need is a decent partition utility that can look at it on a lower level then the standard explorer. Although flash drivers can be harder to fix then normal drivers, so if you have backup, I would advice going that route first.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:51 am

Whether it works depends on whether or not your USB stick is physically damaged, but I've had very good results with Zero Assumption Recovery:
http://www.z-a-recovery.com/

The free version can scan your drive and tell you what's recoverable, but IIRC you have to buy a copy to actually recover anything. Their site claims the free version will recover pictures and videos from flash media, however.

If you don't want to or can't afford to buy a recovery program, you could try something like Recuva, which isn't as good but might work:
https://www.piriform.com/recuva
----------
edit: ZAR's website says "Only (up to) four folders can be recovered in the demo version of our data recovery software." so it should work for your purpose.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:40 am

At the end of the day, the drive may be toast and the files unrecoverable. So if this file is very important, you need to start thinking about how to re-create it or recover a copy (even if it is older) from somewhere else.

You should NEVER have only one copy of irreplaceable data.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.