Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Re: Dear avast, i'm done with ya

Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:20 pm

maxxcool wrote:
Purely a usage case argument that does not apply to all people. So no 'linux' does not solve everything. Nor does Wine. More over with sandbox exploits and runtime exploits linux, android, ios all are just as susceptible. All said, if the user is a dipstick.. they will get owned regardless of OS 'devotion' .. /end

I didn't say that Linux works for all people or fixes every problem. And yes a dipstick will get owned irregardless of OS, but it's much harder to get owned with Linux or ChromeOS then it is with Windows.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:22 pm

biffzinker wrote:
I was going to reply with Linux Mint myself earlier but didn't want to hurt whm1974's feelings, if were going down this road now.

That wouldn't hurt my feelings. My dad uses it on uses it on his laptop and desktop.

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:43 pm

You seem to be pushing Manjaro, that's while I said "hurt feelings."
It would take you 2,363 continuous hours or 98 days,11 hours, and 35 minutes of gameplay to complete your Steam library.
In this time you could travel to Venus one time.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:46 pm

Well thanks anyway.

brothergc
Gerbil First Class

Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:25 pm

I use NOD32 AV paid edition and have for years , saved my butt quite a few times and it has no nagware or other issues that I have seen posted on this thread :)

canoli
Gerbil XP

Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:13 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
...i've only been bothered by annoying popups at startup offering me holiday cheer presents or whatever annoying nonsense. Today i send a very important email using gmail only to see that avast filled it with garbage because it tried to put in some kind of "protected by avast" statement...

In fairness to Avast if you go thru the preferences you'll see that nearly everything can be modified. You can't eliminate the popups (unless you buy the upgrade) but you can set them to disappear after 1 second. There's only one I have to click closed. On my machines they appear in the notification area. They're small and except for the one I mentioned, unobtrusive. The email message can be eliminated completely, even in the free version.

localhostrulez
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:28 am

That's what I like about MSE/Defender. No notifications unless it actually detects anything. Zip, nada, nothing. There's no paid consumer product for them to bug you about. It's exactly the same as System Center Endpoint Protection, minus the enterprise management features. (Say, what happens if you install Endpoint on a 8/8.1/10 machine anyway? Considering Defender basically is MSE, but built in.)

maxxcool
Gerbil Elite

Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:46 pm

whm1974 wrote:
maxxcool wrote:
Purely a usage case argument that does not apply to all people. So no 'linux' does not solve everything. Nor does Wine. More over with sandbox exploits and runtime exploits linux, android, ios all are just as susceptible. All said, if the user is a dipstick.. they will get owned regardless of OS 'devotion' .. /end

I didn't say that Linux works for all people or fixes every problem. And yes a dipstick will get owned irregardless of OS, but it's much harder to get owned with Linux or ChromeOS then it is with Windows.

http://lifehacker.com/you-can-break-int ... 1748370796
Cybert said: Capitlization and periods are hard for you, aren't they? I've given over $100 to techforums. I should have you banned for my money.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:11 pm

That problem has already been fixed. And no OS is hack proof.

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:15 pm

Or simply do the custom install and unclick the various annoying features (like email scanning) - problem solved.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:53 pm

maxxcool wrote:
http://lifehacker.com/you-can-break-into-a-linux-system-by-pressing-backspace-1748370796

In order to exploit this bug, you need to be sitting at the keyboard as the system is booting up. While it's a pretty serious "D'oh!" moment (and if you know C and look at the code in question it is hard to believe that this made it into the official GRUB code base), it is nowhere near being the security apocalypse that some are portraying it as. The potential for remote exploits based on this is essentially zero, unless you've got servers with remote management (IPMI or Ethernet KVM) ports connected to a network which has already been compromised (in which case you're screwed regardless).

whm1974 wrote:
That problem has already been fixed. And no OS is hack proof.

It's a little disingenuous to say it has "already been fixed" though. Yes, the upstream code has been patched. But there are millions of devices out there still running the bad code, many of which will probably never be patched. The reason it isn't "that bad" is as I noted above, not the fact that it has already been patched.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:13 pm

just brew it! wrote:
It's a little disingenuous to say it has "already been fixed" though. Yes, the upstream code has been patched. But there are millions of devices out there still running the bad code, many of which will probably never be patched. The reason it isn't "that bad" is as I noted above, not the fact that it has already been patched.

Well you explained it better then I did. I should have given a better answer.

Hinton
Gerbil

Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:52 pm

whm1974 wrote:
maxxcool wrote:

You must be getting owned daily then.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:04 pm

I said it's harder, not impossible.

MDBT
Gerbil

Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:31 pm

whm1974 wrote:
You could use Linux which is the best antivirus.

Methinks desktop linux users are the Jehovah's Witnesses of the computing world. You show up, unannounced and unsolicited with a message about how something we have expressed no interest in worked for you. We're happy for you but why does it mean we have to convert as well? Shoo

localhostrulez wrote:
That's what I like about MSE/Defender. No notifications unless it actually detects anything. Zip, nada, nothing. There's no paid consumer product for them to bug you about. It's exactly the same as System Center Endpoint Protection, minus the enterprise management features. (Say, what happens if you install Endpoint on a 8/8.1/10 machine anyway? Considering Defender basically is MSE, but built in.)

I have fallen back to this for my systems as well. I used to be a big fan of Symantec's small business and enterprise offerings but they eventually bloated just like Norton. Kaspersky and Nod are intrusive and resource hungry and webroot just hasn't impressed me. I will run MB though in addition to MSE/Defender and MS firewall.
HTPC: 4790K/Asrock Extreme6/32GB DDR3 1866/SanDisk SSD+ 240GB/4x WD Red 3TB/PC HD7850/Thermaltake TPX-675M/Fractal Define R5 Blackout
Games: 3570K/Asrock Extreme4/16GB DDR3 1600/SanDisk Extreme 240GB/2x PC HD7950 Boost/Seasonic SS-1000XP/Fractal Arc Midi

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:32 pm

MDBT wrote:
Methinks desktop linux users are the Jehovah's Witnesses of the computing world. You show up, unannounced and unsolicited with a message about how something we have expressed no interest in worked for you. We're happy for you but why does it mean we have to convert as well? Shoo

I'm only spreading the "good news" about being free of Microsoft...

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:51 pm

whm1974 wrote:
I'm only spreading the "good news" about being free of Microsoft...

You COULD say the same for converting to Mac OS X whm1974 (being free of Microsoft.) :wink:
It would take you 2,363 continuous hours or 98 days,11 hours, and 35 minutes of gameplay to complete your Steam library.
In this time you could travel to Venus one time.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:56 pm

And Apple is probably just as bad as Microsoft.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:22 am

whm1974 wrote:
And Apple is probably just as bad as Microsoft.

Depends on your definition of "bad" I suppose, but I kind of doubt it. My main turnoffs are the cost of their hardware, and the cult-like mentality of Apple evangelists. (The latter issue isn't limited to Apple zealots though; I've often thought that Linux evangelists are their own worst enemy when it comes to promoting Linux.)
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:22 am

The latter issue isn't limited to Apple zealots though; I've often thought that Linux evangelists are their own worst enemy when it comes to promoting Linux.

Yes I'm very aware that Linux isn't for everybody(yet...). And unlike RMS, I'm a realist.

DoomGuy64
Gerbil

Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:04 am

Use antivir or ms. Everything else is bloat.