biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Vivaldi 1.0

Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:10 am

Vivaldi 1.0 Launches:
A New Browser for the Web’s Most Demanding Users
OSLO – April 6, 2016

After more than one year in public development and millions of downloads, Vivaldi today released the first major release of its pioneering desktop browser: Vivaldi 1.0. While other browsers strip down their offerings, Vivaldi adds features and powerful personalization options to help the web’s most demanding users increase their productivity and efficiency. You can download it free from https://vivaldi.com

Vivaldi is produced with love by a founding team of browser pioneers, including Jon von Tetzchner, who co-founded and led Opera Software. Here’s a look at a few features that make Vivaldi the ultimate web power tool for those who need it most.

Tab Stacks:

Feel like you have too many tabs open? Vivaldi solves that with tab stacks. Drop tabs on top of each other to create a stack. It’s the fastest way to reduce clutter and keep organized. And when you’re ready to switch between tabs, Vivaldi has a number of customizations for that too.

Tab Stack Tiling:

Have a big screen? Tile that tab stack and see multiple pages at the same time! With multiple tab stacks, it is like having multiple desktops!

Sessions:

Take browser management to the next level. Save your favorite set of tabs as a session for later retrieval.

Notes:

The perfect tool for researchers. Mark that quote and save it as a note. Vivaldi can remember which site you were browsing at the time, and allow you to take screenshots as well.
Quick commands:

Access open tabs, bookmarks, history, settings and more through a command interface.

Mouse gestures and keyboard shortcuts:

If you really want to operate the browser at lightning speed. Mouse gestures turn a flick of the wrist into almost any action in the browser. Keyboard shortcuts do the same with simple key combinations.

Speed Dial:

Your favorite sites and bookmarks easily accessible from any blank tab. Include Groups and Folders for even more Speed Dials!

Better bookmarks:

Access your bookmarks from the bookmarks panel, bookmarks manager, bookmark bar and of course Speed Dial.

Web Panels:

View websites in your Vivaldi sidebar. The perfect way to browse tweets, Facebook posts, or chat alongside your primary browsing window. We like to say it’s the next best thing to a “Boss button” for the web.

Personalized:

Vivaldi adapts to you, not the other way around. We made Vivaldi the most customizable browser, all based on feedback from millions of users. In fact, there are more than 1 million different ways to make Vivaldi your perfect browser.

And of course there’s more:

Plenty more features to discover to ensure you stay productive and effective on the web. Plus, Vivaldi supports Chrome add-ons, although hopefully you won’t need too many with so many features available out of the box.

Vivaldi is a web browser built for – and with – the web. The UI uses React and JavaScript, as well as Node.js. The core of the browser uses Chromium, ensuring pages render quickly and accurately.

Download Vivaldi Downloads for Windows 32/64-bit, Mac OS X, and Linux 32/64-bit
It would take you 2,363 continuous hours or 98 days,11 hours, and 35 minutes of gameplay to complete your Steam library.
In this time you could travel to Venus one time.

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Vivaldi 1.0

Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:05 am

Thanks.

I wonder if the top of the their homepage really covers the whole target audience. :)

BTW, are there any non-ugly skins?

Yan
Gerbil XP

Vivaldi 1.0

Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:21 am

Can you now configure the size of the disk cache? This was one of the things that annoyed me the most in the beta versions.

(The name "speed dial" also annoys me, but I realize that's just a matter of preference.)

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:41 pm

I was never terribly impressed with the "testing" I did. I'll probably stick to Chrome like always.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

puppetworx
Gerbil Elite

Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:54 pm

I've been using it through beta, glad to see it's rapid progress. I use almost every feature, they're well implemented.

Kougar
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:29 pm

Wow, they actually fixed the horrible bookmarks manager the beta had. Not sure I'd rate it better than Opera 12's manager, I'll have to play with it some more before I comment.

I am sorely tired of having multiple Chrome browsers with multiple tabs though. Two Vivaldi browsers would be much cleaner without all the clunky mess...
Last edited by Kougar on Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:40 pm

Minor update to Vivaldi 1.0
Written by Ruarí Ødegaard
April 7, 2016

Shortly after the release of the final we were informed of an issue that could allow a malicious website to trick a user into thinking they were surfing on a different domain. Since we take our users security very seriously, we got this fixed immediately and have just issued a minor update to version 1.0. Windows and Mac users will receive the update via our autoupdate system. Linux users should receive an update via our deb and rpm repositories. You can also download new builds from vivaldi.com.

We also took this opportunity to address a small issue that several of you had informed us of regarding Notes.

Changelog

[Security] Address bar spoofing: Thanks to Tsubasa Iinuma (@llamakko_cafe) of Gehirn Inc. for the report (VB-15043)
Unable to add a first Note via clicking the '+' button in the panel (VB-14960)
It would take you 2,363 continuous hours or 98 days,11 hours, and 35 minutes of gameplay to complete your Steam library.

ForceEdge
Gerbil

Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:17 pm

Been using this since you posted it, things look ok so far..

Pros: page loading might be faster than chrome for me
tabs work very nicely
Cons: things get rather slow once you've loaded up quite a few tabs.. didn't have this problem with other browsers using the same engine though, so not sure wherein this problem lies, anyone know? (i'm a tab fiend but stuff like opera and chrome or pale moon have no problem loading my 4k+ tabs up :P especially chrome with the sub 5 second loading)
address bar doesn't always work, ie i've found myself having to retype addresses or searches into it for it to 'catch' my input(it sorta takes what i type and input it as something else and loads it instead of what i just typed)
can't just type in a single letter and press enter like on other browsers which sped up browsing a lot, like say for me to quickly get to techreport.com i just type in f6 > t > enter.

Anyone know of any workarounds or is there a fix out for this?
[email protected]@1.3V,Corsair 32 GB DDR3 1600C10,ASUS GeForce GTX 660,Intel SSD 750 400GB,Crucial BX100 256GB,MX100 512GB,Samsung 830 256 GB,HGST 3TB,4TBx2,Seagate 3TB,Z87HERO,AX760,H80i,Dell U2713HM,Corsair K70R,Logitech G502,JBL LSR305s,Audioengine D1

NovusBogus
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:45 pm

I was really intrigued at first, but started to lose interest when I found out it's got Chromium under the hood. The world really needs a browser that's not bought and paid for by MS/Apple/Google.

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:49 am

I was using Firefox (Cyberfox Intel Optimized 64-bit build) but since Mozilla insist on turning the GUI into a Chrome clone with each update, removing features I did use, and incorporating useless additions into Firefox I'll never use. Figured I might as well stop trying to avoid web browsers using the WebKit/Blink engine, and pick one decided Vivaldi was worth trying. So far it has enough of what I liked about past features of Opera 12.17 with the Presto engine I'm content with the choice. I considered going back to Microsoft for a web browser but Edge doesn't do it for me but I do like the fast, smooth, and fluid feel of the GUI to bad it's missing some features still.

Edit: SmoothScroll extension from the Chrome Store :wink:

SuperSpy

Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:14 am

I just wish they'd bring back Presto :cry:
Desktop: i7-4790K @4.8 GHz | 32 GB | EVGA Gefore 1060 | Windows 10 x64
Laptop: MacBook Pro 2017 2.9GHz | 16 GB | Radeon Pro 560

SuperSpy

Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:35 am

Trying it out now and wow have they improved performance. It's still not as fast as Opera's UI, but it's way better than last time I tried it back in December or so. They also have added a lot of features (or more accurately added toggles to remove features) that were sorely lacking back in beta.

EDIT: They brought back the unread overlay on tabs! I figured that was a feature that died with Opera 12.

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:48 pm

biffzinker wrote:
but since Mozilla insist on turning the GUI into a Chrome clone with each update, removing features I did use
You can stick with v28.

past features of Opera 12.17
12.18 was released a few weeks ago. :)

SuperSpy wrote:

Does the layout engine matter much? Blink is more compatible. A browser is more about the GUI and features around, methinks. What I don't understand is why Opera didn't just switch the layout engine and kept the rest. Maybe they felt they needed to be like Chrome.

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:28 pm

meerkt wrote:
biffzinker wrote:
but since Mozilla insist on turning the GUI into a Chrome clone with each update, removing features I did use
You can stick with v28.

Your telling me to stick with an outdated version of a web browser? Not sure that would be a wise choice considering security updates.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:42 pm

The 64bit Windows version is noted as "Experimental." Just how experimental is it?

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:04 pm

UberGerbil wrote:
The 64bit Windows version is noted as "Experimental." Just how experimental is it?

I have the 64-bit version installed, haven't noticed anything amiss. Something to do with requiring 64-bit plugins?
Snapshot 1.0.111.2 now with experimental 64-bit Windows build and more language support
Written by Olafur Arnason
February 23, 2015
Hey,
This week, we've included a test-build for 64-bit Windows for you guys to play with. Please remember that not all plugins will work with this version as you need 64-bit version of the plugin as well.

I've been keeping track of snapshot builds via their blog. Before they released v1.0 I was running the 64-bit experimental snapshot builds.
Vivaldi Blog

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:22 pm

EndlessWaves
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:13 pm

meerkt wrote:
Does the layout engine matter much? Blink is more compatible. A browser is more about the GUI and features around, methinks. What I don't understand is why Opera didn't just switch the layout engine and kept the rest. Maybe they felt they needed to be like Chrome.

Yeah, Presto was rubbish at the end with lots of sites being problematic on it.

Opera did have a lot of browsing-unrelated features like the notes functionality so starting from scratch was probably a good idea. Trying to become another Chrome Clone and alienating their existing customer base but not re-implementing fundamental web browsing stuff like tab management was a very odd decision.

The only problem Blink has for me is that it implements the non-standard -webkit-font-smoothing tag even when Font smoothing is turned off in OS settings. Or it did last time I checked, I'll have to try the latest Vivaldi and see if it suffers from the same issue.

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:21 pm

The benchmark image I posted above was rendered by the Blink layout engine in Vivaldi. I used the print screen key to grab it so it should of caught the font smoothing employed. I pulled up Microsoft Edge for this forum thread to compare the text rendered by Edge to Vivaldi I have to say I prefer the font rendering of Vivaldi, the text in Edge looked rough, and bold for being plain text.

Microsoft Edge:

Vivaldi:

EndlessWaves
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:27 am

biffzinker wrote:
The benchmark image I posted above was rendered by the Blink layout engine in Vivaldi. I used the print screen key to grab it so it should of caught the font smoothing employed. I pulled up Microsoft Edge for this forum thread to compare the text rendered by Edge to Vivaldi I have to say I prefer the font rendering of Vivaldi, the text in Edge looked rough, and bold for being plain text.

Edge renders everything with pixel anti-aliasing, regardless of OS setting. I think it was something to do with being a Metro app that meant it couldn't use sub-pixel anti-aliasing which is what the rest of Windows uses by default and what you're seeing in your Vivaldi screenshot. Sub-pixel anti-aliasing only works in one screen orientation.

I downloaded Vivaldi and it does properly ignore the webkit-font-smoothing tag, here's your comparison with what I'm seeing added:

Microsoft Edge:

Vivaldi:

Vivaldi no smoothing:
http://i.imgur.com/YhNalgS.jpg

EDIT: Or not, for some reason the TR forums seem to be blurring it when I use [img] tags, so I've just left it as a link.

SuperSpy

Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:37 am

meerkt wrote:
SuperSpy wrote:

I'm not the biggest fan of the all the web browsers jumping onto Webkit. Ironically if it wasn't for Microsoft, I feel we will start going back to the 'bad old days' where designers only target one browser instead of the spec.

Plus I loved that Presto was extremely picky about standards. It made a good browser to test against when doing HTML/JS work because it was always the first to barf on something that probably wan't right.

The big thing I liked about Opera 12 was that it was extremely fast. My desktop has probably 100 tabs open on it on 3-4 screens. Lots of other browsers, like Chrome and FF tend to bog down under that kind of load, especially when they sit for weeks at a time.

Bob34
Gerbil

Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:43 am

i am using it for couple of week, its fast and safe.

Redocbew

Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:46 pm

SuperSpy wrote:
I'm not the biggest fan of the all the web browsers jumping onto Webkit. Ironically if it wasn't for Microsoft, I feel we will start going back to the 'bad old days' where designers only target one browser instead of the spec.

Don't worry, that's never going to happen. You can thank our very best friend the smart phone for that. The rise of responsive web design well and truly killed any chance of vendor lock-in on browsers, and ironically I think has made it even harder for a new browser to get a real foothold in the market. I can't remember the last time I thought about the spec, only what will work in chrome, and Firefox, and IE, and the iPhone, and iPad, and those Android people on their phones and tablets also.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

synthtel2
Gerbil Elite

Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:43 pm

The mobile web doesn't consider anything that's not webkit/blink though. Firefox on Android has oddball rendering issues pretty regularly.

Redocbew

Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:02 pm

Yes it does, because nobody uses Firefox on Andriod. :)

Having a common rendering engine would be better than the alternative, but even if there was One Engine to Rule Them All it wouldn't mean universal compatibility across all platforms. That might have been possible 15 years ago when there was only the PC to worry about, and only a few browsers on it, but I don't think there's any way to make it happen now.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:08 pm

Redocbew wrote:
Yes it does, because nobody uses Firefox on Andriod. :)

Bite your tongue (sic). Sync and all the passwords just there is a beautiful thing (though admittedly, not very secure).
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

synthtel2
Gerbil Elite

Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:23 pm

I use Firefox on Android specifically to fight lock-in. Browser monoculture is Very Bad™, the mobile web has serious problems with it, and if I can do my part to fight it by making my default browser the underdog one nobody thinks of, I'm going to do so.

ThatStupidCat
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:36 pm

Sweet. Never heard of it but willing to give it a try.

I rarely watch tv but tonight watching American Ninja Warrior and just heard the funniest quote of today.
His future is as bright as his shoes.

The commentator talking about competitor Daniel Gil's shoes.
I'm clueless about computers.
Smoking catnip in the litterbox.