Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

Noldor
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Svchoat.exe uses too much cpu

Sun May 01, 2016 5:09 am

I wanted to install Win 7 on a vintage laptop (Asus l50vn, with Intel Core Duo T9400 2.53 GHz, GeForce 9650M GT, 4 GB RAM) which previously has used only Vista. Install went fine, but, afterwards, it looks like svchost.exe (netsvcs) seems to use a bit too much CPU: around 40-50% (in idle, when no program is runing). Is that normal or is excessive? How can I found out which specific program is hogging the CPU?

PS: Albeit I can't be sure, there might be a chance this excessive use of CPU is related to the video drivers. I installed the latest Nvidia drivers for 9650m and the CPU used by svchost seemed to be drop to around 10% or less. Unfortunately, I had to uninstall those drivers, as they were highly unstable and crashed every minute, and use instead some old Vista 64 video drivers from Asus.

EndlessWaves
Gerbil Team Leader

Re: Svchoat.exe uses too much cpu

Sun May 01, 2016 5:47 am

Why not Windows 10? No drivers?

IIRC the tooltip for that instance of service host in task manager will give you a list of which services it's hosting but I maybe thinking of the sysinternals version as Windows 10 task manager isn't doing that.

You should also be able to right click it and pick go to services which will highlight them.

Noldor
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Sun May 01, 2016 6:02 am

EndlessWaves wrote:
Why not Windows 10? No drivers?

IIRC the tooltip for that instance of service host in task manager will give you a list of which services it's hosting but I maybe thinking of the sysinternals version as Windows 10 task manager isn't doing that.

You should also be able to right click it and pick go to services which will highlight them.

ASus l50vn, for whatever reasons, does not have even have adequate win7 drivers. Forget about win10. Granted, this l50vn is not my main PC, but merely an old one and I just wanted to see how it runs with win7.

I know the tool you suggested, but it does not provide specific CPU usage for each service. In fact, svchost.exe does not even appear in task manager, processes, and I was able to tell that svchost was using that much CPU after looking in the resource monitor section from the Task Manager, Performance.

Edit: I think I might have identified the culprit. Apparently it's wuauserv, which is a Windows update service, which is hogging about 50% of the CPU. Any reason why, even though I was not doing any update at the moment?

meerkt
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun May 01, 2016 7:06 am

Don't know what's up with WinUpdate.

BTW, svchost.exe should appear in Task Manager. Maybe you have to click "show all users"?

And Resource Monitor does show per-service CPU usage:
http://www.techsupportalert.com/files/i ... _cpu_1.jpg

Noldor
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Sun May 01, 2016 7:15 am

meerkt wrote:

BTW, svchost.exe should appear in Task Manager. Maybe you have to click "show all users"?

Yes, indeed.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sun May 01, 2016 8:17 am

It is the Windows 7 "checking for updates" problem. On a fresh Windows 7 install, it can take many hours to check for updates, during which one CPU core is pegged, and RAM usage skyrockets. It apparently has something to do with the service having trouble handling the large number of updates that are now available for SP1 (since Microsoft never released a SP2). We've had multiple threads about this recently:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=117780
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=117633

There are several updates which mitigate it, but it appears that the only complete fix is to not use Windows 7, as the Windows 7 update service is defective by design.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Noldor
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Sun May 01, 2016 8:34 am

just brew it! wrote:
It is the Windows 7 "checking for updates" problem. On a fresh Windows 7 install, it can take many hours to check for updates, during which one CPU core is pegged, and RAM usage skyrockets. It apparently has something to do with the service having trouble handling the large number of updates that are now available for SP1 (since Microsoft never released a SP2). We've had multiple threads about this recently:

There are several updates which mitigate it, but it appears that the only complete fix is to not use Windows 7, as the Windows 7 update service is defective by design.

In my case, one CPU core is indeed pegged, but the RAM usage is normal.

Is this issue permanent or does it end after windows finishes checking for updates?

PS: I must specify my Windows was not checking for updates. I don't have this feature activated, as I do it manually when I think is necessary. So, the windows update was not actually searching for update. Yet I noticed that one CPU was pegged.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sun May 01, 2016 8:44 am

Noldor wrote:
In my case, one CPU core is indeed pegged, but the RAM usage is normal.

Is this issue permanent or does it end after windows finishes checking for updates?

Things go back to normal when the check completes. But this can take many hours.

Noldor wrote:
PS: I must specify my Windows was not checking for updates. I don't have this feature activated, as I do it manually when I think is necessary. So, the windows update was not actually searching for update. Yet I noticed that one CPU was pegged.

In that case I don't know what is going on with your system. Either an update check somehow got kicked off anyway, or some other service is broken.

HERETIC
Gerbil XP

Sun May 01, 2016 9:06 am

This months updates did same to me
i5-30 min 25%CPU usage
i3-1 hour 25%CPU usage
plus lots of RAM usage
That was all before I clicked ok to download and install.......................
Strange thing was Resource monitor was showing 2Mb network use-up and down the full time before updates started downloading.........................

I just put the old tinfoil hat on and guessed it was MS spyware at work........................
Perhaps they trying to do a apple (cripple old phones to make dummies buy new ones)-make 7 harder to use.....................

YOU MUST UPGRADE-YOU MUST UPGRADE-YOU MUST UPGRADE

Noldor
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Sun May 01, 2016 9:34 am

HERETIC wrote:
i5-30 min 25%CPU usage
i3-1 hour 25%CPU usage
plus lots of RAM usage
Strange thing was Resource monitor was showing 2Mb network use-up and down the full time before updates started downloading.........................

I just put the old tinfoil hat on and guessed it was MS spyware at work........................
Perhaps they trying to do a apple (cripple old phones to make dummies buy new ones)-make 7 harder to use.....................

What do you mean by 30 min and 1 hour?

PS: Can one mod correct the typo in the thread title, please?

HERETIC
Gerbil XP

Sun May 01, 2016 8:21 pm

Noldor wrote:
HERETIC wrote:
i5-30 min 25%CPU usage
i3-1 hour 25%CPU usage
plus lots of RAM usage

What do you mean by 30 min and 1 hour?

My i3 was using 25% CPU usage for about a hour doing something before it let me know what updates were available to download.................
and this was only 1 month of updates...............

localhostrulez
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun May 01, 2016 9:38 pm

I forget if Win7 uses one core of all of them when checking for updates - but regardless, I've seen it easily take an hour or more on a clean install these days. Not surprisingly in the least.

Also, there's a good chance your laptop can run 10 - heck, you even have an Intel 4-series (I've run 10 on similar vintage stuff that shipped with Vista, works just fine). I've run 10 on Pentium D machines without an issue - Windows has decent built in drivers for older hardware, so let it do its thing.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sun May 01, 2016 10:25 pm

Based on what I've seen, I believe it uses only one core.

MEATLOAF2
Gerbil

Mon May 02, 2016 6:13 am

As far as windows update is concerned, I've used WSUS offline update for windows 7 with great success. It effectively takes the windows update system and automates it once you set it up and get past the initial learning curve. And, in my experience, literally divides the time required to get all the updates installed (from a fresh OS install, at least) by a relatively significant factor, even more so since it does not require your attention once you set the process in motion, especially with the automated restarts.

You can also save the updates to disk or USB for later installs, so you won't need to download the updates again, allowing a fully offline windows update in a fraction of the time. Installing every windows security patch before a fresh OS install even touches the internet is quite comforting as well.

YMMV obviously, and it's been quite some time since I've used it so a lot may have changed since then, for better or worse.

LoneWolf15
Gerbil Elite

Mon May 02, 2016 8:30 pm

just brew it! wrote:

I have a potential fix for that, though I can't take credit.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/305826 ... dates.html

Since I manage all of our clients' patches, I've done scripting in our remote management-monitoring software to download these two specific updates (listed in the article) from our server and install them silently. Still a little too early to tell for me, but reports are they speed things up from hours/a day to a lot less to do the update scans.

Note also that SVCHOST.EXE is a process that runs many services; the only way to be completely sure why SVCHOST.EXE is taking high CPU is to use a tool like SysInternals Process Explorer to look at all of the SVCHOST processes running, select the one with high CPU, and look at its child processes; the results there are the ones that are important.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sys ... lorer.aspx
i9-9900K @4.7GHz, GIGABYTE Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi, 2 x 16GB G.Skill RipJaws V PC3000
Corsair 650D, Seasonic 1Kw Platinum PSU
2x HP EX920 1TB NVMe, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB 2.5", NEC 7200 DVDRW
Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super Gaming OC, Dell S2719DGF 27" LCD