Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

lailahussain655
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Sound Issue After Upgrading to Windows 10

Tue May 24, 2016 3:57 am

I just upgraded the OS from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 on my HP Probook. When I was using windows 8.1 the sound working perfect but after upgrading on Windows 10 suddenly sound gone disappear but When I On/Off the sound from sound panel then Its started working otherwise Its not working smoothly please suggest me should I have to upgrade my sound drivers according to Windows 10 anything else.

Noinoi
Gerbil Team Leader

Re: Sound Issue After Upgrading to Windows 10

Mon May 30, 2016 10:41 am

Did your laptop come with any audio enhancement suites?

First things first, though, try updating your audio drivers (via Windows Update, via Device Manager, your laptop manufacturer's site, your audio device's manufacturer site in this preference) first. Then restart the computer.

If the problem still exists, and your laptop comes with some sort of audio enhancement suite, go to that, change a bunch of settings, save that, open it again if it's closed by now, RESET all settings (do it with a "Reset/Default" button, not manually), change again to your liking, save it again. See if the problem goes away.

(I know that pain, since my Asus G56JR had the subwoofer go really kooky until I updated the audio driver and reset the audio enhancement in that order.)
[email protected] | Patriot 2x16GB | Asus GTX 970 | Aorus Z390 Pro Wifi | Intel 660p 512GB + Kingston Fury 240GB + 2x4TB WD HDDs | Win 10

LostCat
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon May 30, 2016 11:34 am

If it's Realtek I'm told you should stick with the manufacturer UNLESS they're horrendous about keeping it updated, in which case the Realtek site is better.

Other sound chip manufacturers - I have no idea anymore.
Meow.

Topinio
Gerbil Jedi

Mon May 30, 2016 1:13 pm

Which model, exactly? Has HP fully qualified and demonstrated support for it running Windows 10?

If the answer to the second question is "no", it might be worth keeping an eye on the end of the 30 day window to revert back to Windows 8.1, as it might be impossible to make it work.

If the answer is "yes", then do you already have all the firmware, drivers and supporting software downloaded and installed from HP? (I have found doing this manually on hp.com necessary on both a HP Stream 7 and a HP Stream 11, as the HP Support Assistant software didn't catch everything needed in either case.)

Edit:

lailahussain655 wrote:
should I have to upgrade my sound drivers according to Windows 10 anything else

Yes, you should.

Go to the support site, choose your model.

Under "Download options" click on the "drivers, software & firmware" part of "Get drivers, software & firmware" and use the pull-down under "Operating systems in English" for "Select your product's operating system" and choose Windows 10 of the correct bittedness, download everything and install it.

If you don't see Windows 10 listed on that pull-down, just earlier versions, that means that HP has not qualified your laptop model for Windows 10. IMO your best option then is to revert to Windows 8.1 and enjoy working audio again.
Desktop: 750W Snow Silent, X11SAT-F, E3-1270 v5, 32GB ECC, RX 5700 XT, 500GB P1 + 250GB BX100 + 250GB BX100 + 4TB 7E8, XL2730Z + L22e-20
HTPC: X-650, DH67GD, i5-2500K, 4GB, GT 1030, 250GB MX500 + 1.5TB ST1500DL003, KD-43XH9196 + KA220HQ
Laptop: MBP15,2

localhostrulez
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon May 30, 2016 6:00 pm

What model of Probook do you have?

HP seems to have an issue between their recent machines (I'm talking Broadwell and Skylake) with Realtek audio and Windows 10, and they have yet to fix it (despite shipping tons of these machines with 10 anyway). I.e. the mic is ridiculously quiet, and there's extra noise/hissing on the 3.5mm jack (noticeable with headphones). Last I checked, with my HP zbook 14 g2, I had L1 and L2 tech support confused (and reproducing the problem), and they were engaging L3 to really get deep into the driver. If you go into device manager and change it to the generic Microsoft HD audio driver, everything works perfectly fine. (Note that if you uninstall Realtek from control panel/add remove programs, Windows Update will promptly reinstall it and f**k everything back up for you. Device manager seems to be the only way that'll stick.)

Funny thing is I have some 6530b's (before they were calling them Probooks, we're talking Core 2's), and those work just fine with 10 despite none of the drivers being designed for it.