Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

seankay
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Noticed a Strange thing in Opera browser as it automatically had all of my browsing history from chrome!

Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:49 am

I hope it is right forum for this. I just noticed that my Opera browser already had all of my browsing history and stuff from my Google Chrome. I haven't used opera for around 5 months and never created an account or signed in to the browser. However, google chrome is my default browser and I often use it for my stuff.
I wanted to open something separately on another browser so instead of going for Firefox, I opened Opera and I was wowed by the fact that it has all the browsing history that I have on my google chrome. As far as I know, I have never synced the two. Can anyone explain it to me or am I missing something?

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Noticed a Strange thing in Opera browser as it automatically had all of my browsing history from chrome!

Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:38 am

Since version 15, Opera has been based on the Chromium codebase. Chromium is basically Chrome with the proprietary Google bits stripped out.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

arunphilip
Gerbil Team Leader

Re: Noticed a Strange thing in Opera browser as it automatically had all of my browsing history from chrome!

Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:02 am

just brew it! wrote:
Since version 15, Opera has been based on the Chromium codebase. Chromium is basically Chrome with the proprietary Google bits stripped out.

OK, but does that mean they share the same user profiles, for the OP to have common history between his separate Chrome instance and his Opera instance?

EDIT - to clarify - Opera and Chrome each bring their own instances of the Chromium codebases, and will have (I assume) separate user profiles under AppData.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:09 am

arunphilip wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

OK, but does that mean they share the same user profiles, for the OP to have common history between his separate Chrome instance and his Opera instance?

EDIT - to clarify - Opera and Chrome each bring their own instances of the Chromium codebases, and will have (I assume) separate user profiles under AppData.

Well, either it is using a shared profile, or it imported his settings.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

SuperSpy
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:00 pm

More likely it imported the profile automagically at some point.

When Opera switched to Blink/Chromium, they basically did a find/replace of "chrome" with "opera". Every once in a while you can find a place they missed that still calls itself "chrome[ium]".
Desktop: i7-4790K @4.8 GHz | 32 GB | EVGA Gefore 1060 | Windows 10 x64
Laptop: MacBook Pro 2017 2.9GHz | 16 GB | Radeon Pro 560

seankay
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:20 am

That can be the case, but I never signed in to Opera browser using any ID. In fact I didn't even open it in ages. As much as I know, I have never synced anything between the two. May be it is an auto fetch by Opera since it is Chromium based! 
I found out that "When you first download Google Chrome, your personal data (like your browsing history and homepage) is automatically imported from your default browser into Google Chrome. If you want to import additional settings (like bookmarks, search engines, and saved passwords) or settings from another browser" got it from this google support page

So is it possible that Opera does the same?