Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

Yan
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Apple ][ stuff of interest to anybody?

Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:52 pm

I have some old games and books for Apple ][, including an Apple ][ clone ("Peach") which may or may not work.

The games include some classics like Wizardry, Ultima, Karateka and others.

Could this conceivably be of interest to anybody, or to a library or collection, or should I simple throw it all in the trash?

Scrotos
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: Apple ][ stuff of interest to anybody?

Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:10 pm

Oh yeah I am interested! Where are you located? How much are you selling it for?

I.S.T.
Gerbil XP

Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:39 pm

Hell, scan those books.

Doctor Venture
Gerbil First Class

Wed May 24, 2017 5:19 pm

Wow! That's a blast from the past. We had Apple ][ e's at school, and between the edutainment games ("You're the first kid president!"), we also used them for computer class, and learned Apple Basic and AppleScript.

I remember my lab partner and I were so proud that we managed to prank the teacher. We somehow figured out how to make the floppy drive head move, and the light on it flicker (it didn't do anything, but it looked like it was). We quickly wrote a script for our floppy disk formatting utility, and the teacher inserted his grade disk in the drive (I can't remember why), and the little timer countdown started, and we had a Y/N prompt, but every input = Yes. Suddenly, the drive head started moving, and the light flickered, and you could just see the color drain from the teacher's face, since he thought we'd erased his grade disk. Once we told him about the prank, and how we did it, we ended up getting an A for the day, and I think he even gave us some extra credit points, for going above and beyond what the rest of the class did.

That class was the last time I enjoyed anything even remotely programming/scripting related. I'm dreading having to learn Python and REST API, due to SDN. Jinja2/YAML playbooks in Ansible aren't bad, though.

Oh, and of course the obligatory Oregon Trail:

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed May 24, 2017 5:40 pm

As always, i am interested :D I even have a whole bunch of software from back in the day I haven't used in prob 30 years or so lol.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed May 24, 2017 6:24 pm

Choplifter.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.