Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

seankay
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

How to Delete Cookies Automatically at Browser Exit?

Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:42 am

I just found this article and found it really helpful. May be many of you know about it but I didn't :)
How to Delete Cookies Automatically at Browser Exit?

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: How to Delete Cookies Automatically at Browser Exit?

Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:48 am

It is a lot easier to just use Private/Incognito mode if you're visiting sites you don't want to save cookies from. Dumping all of your cookies every time you exit the browser is going to make many sites less convenient to use.

I suppose if you're paranoid about web tracking, it makes some sense to clear them all at the end of each session...
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Froz
Gerbil

Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:26 am

To be honest, with ideas similar to described here: http://samy.pl/evercookie/ I long ago lost hope there actually is a way to completely hide yourself from tracking by the big corporations out there. Not that it stops me from using ghostery, but I'm just doing it to feel better, not because I believe it's actually effective.

By the way, note that the page I linked to is from 2010. I'm sure there are even more ways to identify consumer nowadays.

Or you could check here to see how unique your browser fingerprint is:

https://panopticlick.eff.org/

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:35 am

Just give up and accept that you WILL be tracked, even if using TOR.

I don't like it and wish it could be different, but I've made my peace with it. True privacy these days only exists for those willing live outside of technology more advanced than fire.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Mroadstong
Gerbil In Training

Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:44 am

Click on the menu "hamburger" icon in the upper right corner and select Settings > Show advanced settings... > Privacy and then tap the Content settings button.

In the next window that opens, under Cookies, select the radio button that says "Keep local data only until you quit your browser."

Press Done at the bottom of the window, close the settings tab, and that's it.

Dposcorp
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:06 am

just brew it! wrote:
It is a lot easier to just use Private/Incognito mode if you're visiting sites you don't want to save cookies from. Dumping all of your cookies every time you exit the browser is going to make many sites less convenient to use.

I dont worry to much about the sites I use, but if I do have a concern, what JBI mentioned is what was gonna be my first recommendation.

2nd recommendation is to try out a portable browser that does that cleans up everything for you on exit, and maybe just use that browser for the sites you are concerned with.
Something like Browzar.
http://download.cnet.com/Browzar-Black- ... 79088.html

3rd recommendation would be to use a Live Linux CD.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:29 am

just brew it! wrote:

I suppose if you're paranoid about web tracking, it makes some sense to clear them all at the end of each session...

That's very true, it can be PITA but I'm learning to live with that. I also have Privacy Badger Installed as well.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:34 am

Y'all realize this is a necro of a pretty old thread, right?

Dposcorp

Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:36 am

just brew it! wrote:
Y'all realize this is a necro of a pretty old thread, right?

damn it

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:12 pm

So what other ways can way protect our privacy? I'm not expecting 100%, but every little bit helps.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:45 pm

whm1974 wrote:
So what other ways can way protect our privacy? I'm not expecting 100%, but every little bit helps.

Cancel your internet and cell service. Cut up your credit/debit cards. Live in a tent out in the middle of the woods, and eat only what you can catch, gather, or grow with your own hands. It's the only way to be sure.

Redocbew

Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:53 pm

And stay away from the potato seeds.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:39 pm

just brew it! wrote:
whm1974 wrote:

Cancel your internet and cell service. Cut up your credit/debit cards. Live in a tent out in the middle of the woods, and eat only what you can catch, gather, or grow with your own hands. It's the only way to be sure.

Surely there are ways we can protect our privacy to some degree without going that far. Or at least don't make easy for others to violate it.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:44 pm

whm1974 wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
whm1974 wrote:

Surely there are ways we can protect our privacy to some degree without going that far. Or at least don't make easy for others to violate it.

Those have already been discussed in this thread. Since you asked again, I figured you wanted something more robust. :wink:

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:54 pm

whm1974 wrote:

As much as I don't like the answer, the fact remains that since 99+% of humanity seems not to care, we're stuck with the current data-hoovering ecosystem we have now. Best we can do is nibble around the edges but full privacy in a digital world is simply impossible.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:12 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
whm1974 wrote:

As much as I don't like the answer, the fact remains that since 99+% of humanity seems not to care, we're stuck with the current data-hoovering ecosystem we have now. Best we can do is nibble around the edges but full privacy in a digital world is simply impossible.

Yeah it boggles my mind on how far out of their way people will go in giving up their privacy for convenience or to get free stuff. I keep very little personal information on my cell phone nor have installed any extra apps on it.

nerdrage
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:24 pm

Firefox allows a configuration where you can set it up to accept all cookies from first-party and/or third-party sites, but only keep them around until the browser is closed; at which point every cookie that is NOT in your white-list will be deleted.

Benefits:
  • All sites will be fully functional because no cookies will ever get blocked.
  • The cookies for sites you care about will be kept between sessions. So, for example, you can stay logged in to TR between sessions as long as you take the time to enter "techreport.com" in the "Allow" exception list.

Downsides:
  • You'll need to manually enter all of the sites you care about in the white-list. Once entered, FF stores them in a file (permissions.sqlite) which is the only way I know that you can back them up.
  • You can still be tracked between sites, but only for the sites visited during a single browser session. And sites that you white-list will still be able to track you. (duh)
  • If you're the type who keeps a bunch of tabs open forever, and don't ever close the browser, this technique won't help you all that much (if at all).

blahsaysblah
Gerbil Elite

Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:53 pm

nerdrage wrote:
Firefox allows ...

There is also Firefox profiles and Chrome users for that exact reason. Each gets its own full separate cache,configuration,...

To backup Firefox profiles, just zip up the "C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox" folder and restore after installing FF again. Might get weirdness if you load very old backup onto newer FF version, so backup often. But easy way to do full (edit: OS) resets without a lot of work.

manage profiles with:
"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -P

each shortcut follows:
"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -p PROFILE_NAME -no-remote

Also newer versions have a Forget button.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:59 pm

Pardon me if this is considered to be hijacking this thread, but what happens when you disable JavaScript? I just did and I'm going surf the net with it disabled as an experiment for about a week. Back in the early days when websites begin using JavaScript I had to sometimes disable it in order for some web pages to load properly and other issues.

Am I safer with it disabled?

Redocbew

Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:36 pm

Not really. Malicious code that happens to be written in JavaScript is just one possible attack vector of many, and(very) many sites simply won't function properly without it.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:13 pm

Redocbew wrote:
Not really. Malicious code that happens to be written in JavaScript is just one possible attack vector of many, and(very) many sites simply won't function properly without it.

Yeah I'm starting to find that out.

d@mn'd
Gerbil

Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:22 pm

My guess is that this functionally is something the browser folks designed to be user unfriendly. Sandboxie, it has been mentioned in TR forums several times before, it can be useful for a number of things and deleting the digital garbage that is stored on your computer is one of them. The interface looks it's age, but it is a very nice, albeit complicated to take full advantage of, bit of software. I find this one program is easier to configure (the delete upon exit garbage dump) than digging in to each of the browsers separately. The sandbox'd environment saves from bad JavaScript and Flash too, so they say. I have not been on the receiving end of attack code so no known personal experience. BUT, no known personal experience IS a good thing in this case, am I right.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:29 pm

Anyway I installed the NoScript addon for Firefox. That might work better instead of just disabling JavaScript.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:00 pm

whm1974 wrote:
Redocbew wrote:

Yeah I'm starting to find that out.

Javascript is an essential part of the modern web, and that isn't going to change. Pretty much any site that does more than display static text and links is going to use Javascript, and disabling it will make these sites less functional, if not break them completely.

At least Flash is finally being phased out, and Silverlight is (nearly) dead.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:24 am

I'm playing around with NoScript and what is nice about it, is I can allow or disallow JavaScript on the fly for web sites without having to dig through about:config in FireFox.