Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

AMD64Blondie
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Opera 42 connection failure..(only WebKit-based browsers broken..)

Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:08 pm

Having a very bizarre software-related problem with my custom-built desktop computer running 64-bit Windows 10 Pro.

I can get Opera 12.18 64-bit working fine,Microsoft Edge works flawlessly,and Mozilla Firefox 50.1 32-bit works perfectly always connecting to the Internet.

The problem is when I try to run Opera 42 32-bit it gives me an error message:
This site can’t be reached

The connection was reset.

Try:
Checking the connection
Checking the proxy and the firewall
Running Windows Network Diagnostics
Check your internet connection.
Check any cables and reboot any routers, modems, or other network devices you may be using.

Allow Opera to access the network in your firewall or antivirus settings.
If it is already listed as a program allowed to access the network, try removing it from the list and adding it again.

If you use a proxy server…
Check your proxy settings or contact your network administrator to make sure the proxy server is working. If you don't believe you should be using a proxy server: Go to the Main menu > Settings > Change proxy settings… > LAN Settings and deselect "Use a proxy server for your LAN".

(sorry for the long paragraphs..that was a direct copy and paste of the error from Opera 42 32-bit.)

This is so weird.
Last edited by AMD64Blondie on Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Opera 42 connection failure..(only WebKit-based browsers broken..)

Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:39 pm

Well, I'd tell you to try Vivaldi, but since that is also WebKit-based, that probably wouldn't do you any good. I'd keep it in mind for the future, though.

1) Could you please print out "ipconfig /all" from the command line?
2) Could you try using 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as your primary/secondary DNS servers?
3) You could try disabling Windows Firewall for a few minutes just to test that (hopefully your PC isn't connected directly to the Internet and you have a hardware Firewall).
4) You could try checking for Chrome / Opera Addons and Plugins to make sure nothing there changed.
5) If nothing else works, you could install Wireshark and look to see where those packets are going (I can help with analysis).

AMD64Blondie
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:48 pm

Here's where things REALLY get weird: Google Chrome( Opera 42 uses the same basic design ) connects to the internet and works perfectly.

But when I try using Opera 42,the same error about not being able to connect to the internet appears.

(I've gotten used to using Opera(along with Opera's interface)...so that's why I didn't want to switch over to Google Chrome.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:10 pm

There is pretty clearly and almost surely a proxy connection set up in Opera 42 that you have. Maybe try resetting to default settings and customize from there.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

AMD64Blondie
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:17 pm

how do I reset Opera 42 to default settings?

Kougar
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:01 am

It should be somewhere on the main menu if it has it. Otherwise can always just uninstall and manually delete its Appdata folder before reinstalling. (after exporting any bookmarks you want to keep of course). 

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:56 am

Yup, agreed. This sounds like a proxy configuration issue.

Note: Proxy issues can also be caused by malware and anti-malware, since both can insert themselves into the data stream between your network connection and the web browser. A bit odd that it only seems to affect Opera, but that's a potential angle as well.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.