Thin Man
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Re: AntiVirus suggestions

Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:02 pm

gmskking wrote:
Thin Man wrote:
gmskking wrote:
I personally have not used an antivirus program in years. I don't like the idea of having a program always running a scanning and slowing my PC down. I find that using an ad blocker (ad block plus) is enough for me. This requires using Chrome or Firefox. Stay away from Internet Explorer unless you like ads and slow browsing.

Thank you for providing some comic relief in the responses. Have you ever considered the fact that your philosophy is what helps the malware to spread so widely and quickly?

Never had a virus (or any issue) and I havent used an antivirus program in probably 7 years.

Never had a virus? Exactly how do you know you've never had one?
"If you take up a starving dog and feed it, it will not bite you. This is the primary difference between a man and a dog." Mark Twain

gmskking
Gerbil

Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:08 pm

Thin Man wrote:
gmskking wrote:
Thin Man wrote:

Thank you for providing some comic relief in the responses. Have you ever considered the fact that your philosophy is what helps the malware to spread so widely and quickly?

Never had a virus (or any issue) and I havent used an antivirus program in probably 7 years.

Look guy. Not sure what your deal is I am just telling you my experience. Go right ahead and pay for a useless, invasive program that is probably tracking you and adding latency to everything you do. Have fun with that.
Main: Core i7 4790K @ 4.7GHz | Samsung 850 Evo | 16GB DDR3 | Antec P110 Luce | Windows 10
Other: Core i5 2500K | Toshiba TR200 240GB | 8GB DDR3 | Windows 10
Gaming: Xbox One X

Redocbew
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:24 pm

It's a good question. Most malware these days wants to take the machine over instead of taking it down, so discovering an infection isn't always so easy. The survival of most botnets depends on it. Yeah, there's no good reason why they have to be such a hairball in the system, and I'm obviously not a fan of most AV scanners either, but if I had kids or was in charge of more machines than just my own I'd certainly be taking measures beyond what I do now.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:33 pm

At the very least, do not run as an administrator.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

LostCat

Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:46 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
At the very least, do not run as an administrator.

I've been running as admin with UAC on since Vista, and probably without UAC before that.

It's probably good advice, but for more security conscious people it's not really a necessity (though some will claim it's absolutely what everyone should be doing.)

All told (at least for me and most educated people who keep their system updated among other basic security practices) it seems kinda pointless...as do ad and script blockers most of the time.

But heh, whatever works I guess.
Meow.

Thin Man
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:57 pm

gmskking wrote:
Thin Man wrote:
gmskking wrote:

Look guy. Not sure what your deal is I am just telling you my experience. Go right ahead and pay for a useless, invasive program that is probably tracking you and adding latency to everything you do. Have fun with that.

No"deal" or insult involved, it was a legitimate question. You seem positive that you've never had a virus infection, I simply wondered how your able to ascertain that.
"If you take up a starving dog and feed it, it will not bite you. This is the primary difference between a man and a dog." Mark Twain

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:38 pm

I just run standard windows defender in windows 10, then use EMET on top of that together with our (I work for mnemonic) free secure dns service. On top of that since what I work with, I have access to a firewall with full threat prevention that uses sandboxing, reputation, url filtering and traffic inspection abilities.

If you don't have that ability, you could always look at another form of reputation based service like the Free K9.
http://www1.k9webprotection.com/

Then you have other options since there are, if you are a bit handy, the possibility to roll your own IDS service based om something like Suricata.
https://suricata-ids.org/

bfg-9000
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:00 pm

I've maintained some computers for unsupervised use by small children for many years. They will click on anything, which regularly destroys Android tablets badly enough that even factory resets won't fix them so the ROM has to be reimaged.

Never a problem with Windows machines, using only MSE/Defender and this infrequently updated hosts file. No adblock or noscript or filtering software of any kind for over 10 years. Most of them have only an administrator account, are slow enough that a heavier AV or plugins (or presumably a virus) would be immediately noticeable, and one is still even running XP (it does have an AGP HD4650 so can run WebGL in Firefox or SlimJet). A few months ago there was a rash of redirects to a fake firefox-patch.js or chrome-update.bat because the malware providers were registering new domain names faster than they could be blacklisted, but nobody went to the downloads folder to run it manually (apparently adblockers would've worked after a day or two, and MSE said nothing about the files).

The hosts file has always prevented following google ad links and certain sites like CBS videos but has had no other noticeable problems, which is good because it's a lot less convenient to temporarily disable than an adblocker would be. As it's now common to integrate a hosts file into router firmware, I've got to look into that to help protect the Android devices.

CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:11 pm

Thin Man wrote:
Redocbew wrote:
Using a VM doesn't really offer any protection to the guest(in this case, Linux), but it does help protect the host. Treat the VM as disposable, and if it gets hosed by something just restore from snapshot and start over. Using a windows VM running inside Windows would probably work just as well. Linux is just easier because you don't have to buy another license in order to avoid activation issues.

Escaping from the VM has been done a few times with the help of an exploit, but it's rare. Keep your software updated and it's not likely to be an issue.

I see. Thanks for the clarification. I'll try it on my machine and see what would be involved in getting the others to buy the idea.

Yes, think of them as "disposable". Moreover, think of multiple machines for different purposes, like: banking for 1, shopping credit card "A" for 2, shopping credit card "B" for 3, general browsing for 4, etc..

Moreover you can keep them "fresh" with earlier snapshots (and then update the thing again).

https://www.howtogeek.com/171228/10-vir ... now-about/

Distro-wise, I like Elementary OS for this activity. (..look to youtubes for setting it up in a more customized manner, in particular make sure the windows operate like Windows and go back to a double-click operation to make it more familiar for the user.)

Linux distro's are largely immune to changes without some active involvement of the user (..and sometimes considerable involvement).

There are some things to enforce use:

1. make sure access to any Windows browser is damn hard to find, yet make access to the hypervisor easy to find.
2. setup your firewall to disallow access from browser's on Windows, but allow the VM access.
3. spend at least an hour with the user having them use the system in this manner again, and again, and again - to learn it.

Finally, look to specific browser settings and plug-ins that will block things depending on the use of that virtual machine.

Thin Man
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:57 pm

CScottG wrote:
Thin Man wrote:
Redocbew wrote:
Using a VM doesn't really offer any protection to the guest(in this case, Linux), but it does help protect the host. Treat the VM as disposable, and if it gets hosed by something just restore from snapshot and start over. Using a windows VM running inside Windows would probably work just as well. Linux is just easier because you don't have to buy another license in order to avoid activation issues.

Escaping from the VM has been done a few times with the help of an exploit, but it's rare. Keep your software updated and it's not likely to be an issue.

I see. Thanks for the clarification. I'll try it on my machine and see what would be involved in getting the others to buy the idea.

Yes, think of them as "disposable". Moreover, think of multiple machines for different purposes, like: banking for 1, shopping credit card "A" for 2, shopping credit card "B" for 3, general browsing for 4, etc..

Moreover you can keep them "fresh" with earlier snapshots (and then update the thing again).

https://www.howtogeek.com/171228/10-vir ... now-about/

Distro-wise, I like Elementary OS for this activity. (..look to youtubes for setting it up in a more customized manner, in particular make sure the windows operate like Windows and go back to a double-click operation to make it more familiar for the user.)

Linux distro's are largely immune to changes without some active involvement of the user (..and sometimes considerable involvement).

There are some things to enforce use:

1. make sure access to any Windows browser is damn hard to find, yet make access to the hypervisor easy to find.
2. setup your firewall to disallow access from browser's on Windows, but allow the VM access.
3. spend at least an hour with the user having them use the system in this manner again, and again, and again - to learn it.

Finally, look to specific browser settings and plug-ins that will block things depending on the use of that virtual machine.

Thanks for the advice. I quite agree with the idea that you can explain something till your blue in the face, but if you have the person sit down and actually do what your saying, they tend to remember it much better. Then all that's left is overcoming the dreaded "old habits are hard to break" syndrum.

Thin Man
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:49 am

I appreciate all the replies and and will incorporate some of the advice I've gotten into my day to day efforts. I can see that there are some very technically astute members here who understand a great deal about hardware and IT and Networking in general. That said, I can't help but wonder how much of that knowledge extends to the understanding of the average home computer user. And this is not said to insult anyone, as it probably is just not part of many of the Gerbils worlds.
The average home computer user that I speak of is not part of a network, commercial, institutional or otherwise. Their just folks who were sold a computer or tablet or phone in the same way that they were sold a refrigerator or a stove or a television, as an appliance. With little or no advice or instruction that they were capable of understanding. So, no they don't have tech savy or security knowledge any better than the average fridge owner has about their appliance. Like the average driver, they don't have the know how about their car that a mechanic does. They use these devices because these days you pretty much have to, and marketing tells them they won't be cool if they don't. So you can only expect so much out of them, and it has nothing to do with intelligence. So to simply say that if their device gets a virus or malware that it's their own fault is neither fair or helpful to anyone. And turning a device over to a child unsupervised is not, and never has been, a good idea. Please don't expect me to believe it never caused a problem in windows no matter what the host file says. Been there seen that.
I have been modifying and building computers and installing windows or linux, then setting it all up and supporting the whole thing for people for 23 yrs now. The linux ones I didn't have to worry too much about. Those folks just checked their email and cruised the net once and awhile, or tended to be tech savy themselves. The windows users constantly needed me to clean it up or reinstall because they would tend to do what microsoft told them, or suffer from what ms did to them, rather than what I told them. And backing things up was too much of a pain, besides they had "system restore" to rely on.(Don't even get me started on that foolish system.) But, they were family and friends so I couldn't just wash my hands of them and walk away. It's been my experience that windows never has been, and still isn't, secure enough to run without some kind of protective programs.
Also, the only anti virus program I've ever found to make a computer slow or sluggish was the old Norton or McAfee, which were bloated resource hogs. I can't tell you how many hours I've spent digging crap out of windows because folks insisted on running it wide open the way ms intended it, but that was the habit they developed and trying to force change only resulted in getting called back and told to put it back the way it was because they can't deal with it this way. And microsoft said it's just fine the way it came.
One has to understand the human animal and it's behavior patterns. If they want to do something, their going to do it. You can't force change on them. Trying to do that is how we got the modern version of microsoft's "we'll decide how your computer is run" data mining system. And, yes it's a good way to do things, but trying to tell them that instead of just clicking on their browser it's better that they start a virtual machine, enter another password that they don't want to have to use to start windows in the first place, then use the browser in the vm is just not going to work no matter how much safer you tell them it is. that is what's looked upon as a "pain in the ass" that isn't needed because they've been fine so far and if anything happens they know you'll be able to fix it..........

CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:12 am

Thin Man wrote:
..If they want to do something, their going to do it. You can't force change on them. Trying to do that is how we got the modern version of microsoft's "we'll decide how your computer is run" data mining system. And, yes it's a good way to do things, but trying to tell them that instead of just clicking on their browser it's better that they start a virtual machine, enter another password that they don't want to have to use to start windows in the first place, then use the browser in the vm is just not going to work no matter how much safer you tell them it is. that is what's looked upon as a "pain in the ass" that isn't needed because they've been fine so far and if anything happens they know you'll be able to fix it..........

..actually that is exactly what I've been doing for a few months now. :wink:

BTW, IF it's Windows 10 you can always threaten them with "restore" - which only restores the OS and keeps the *files* you specify for saving, NOT ANY of the programs that have been installed. (..and if you don't have a recovery option in-place and the system has been compromised, then this is your only real option other than a reinstall - and yes, I've had to do this before :lol: ). Users start "perking up" real quick when you tell them they could loose their programs (and program keys) if they aren't careful.

..as for Anti-virus, considering the rampant OS updates - use Windows Defender. Anything else is going to be a royal pain in the ass. (..I do like Comodo's Firewall though.)

bfg-9000
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:46 am

Point is, other people likely browse differently than a tech savvy person. After all I have quite a collection of virused files and keyloggers now, though in all this time have only had to reimage my Windows install once, thanks to one malformed Acrobat file (we probably visit a lot more eclectic sites than they do). MSE/Defender shows nothing in the history on their machines, and I have on-demand-only MBAM and Spybot installed too which also find nothing.

The children are given administrative permissions so they can install whatever they like without a credit card. I had intended for them to learn a lesson as CScottG suggested, for they would lose whatever shortcuts or progress in game saves etc when restored from a clean backup (hard drives have been so cheap that the image is held on an unplugged drive right in each desktop), but the issue never came up in any version of Windows. As for advisability, well they are not my children so it is up to their parents.

To be fair to Linux-based Android, I don't think the problems were from web browsing but their installing Google-screened free games from the app store (no sideloading unapproved apps here) which download ads and other content. Children are also far more likely to visit Youtube and Nickelodeon than the news sites that host those sometimes malicious ads, plus they are unlikely to peruse forums that run on outdated and vulnerable versions of vBulletin.

alrey
Gerbil

Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:03 am

I use the ff combination:

1. Windows Defender
2. On demand scanning using Malwarebytes free version
3. On demand scanning using Clamwin free version

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:57 pm

gmskking wrote:

How do you know?

Thin Man
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:30 pm

First off, I apologize if I came across as a crabby old "get off my lawn" geezer. My post was made after spending 2 hrs trying to setup a dual boot Win 10 and Mint Linux install for my neighbor who wants to transition to using Linux. Trouble is he has an Asus Z170 board with "Secure Boot" AAAAGGGGHHHH. (He didn't bring it to me until he had already installed Windows 10 using MS's blatant attempt to lock out other OS's and wanted to keep the original install.)
Anyway the main problem I've found with Windows Restore is that it will do just that, restore. I have more often than not found that the restore points end up just as infected as the system in use. So yes, the best way is keep an image on media not connected to the computer in use. Depending on the year it was done in, that could be anything from a pile of floppies or cd's to a DVD to a back up drive. Which the person would be unable to find when you needed it, so often, it resulted in them losing alot of stuff. Which of course, was my fault in their eyes. C'est la vie.
Point is, malware hides. Just because it appears that there's no problem doesn't mean that there is no problem. I've found crap that returned to life after a low level format and fresh install.
Do I trust Microsoft, no. They write sloppy code. Always have, and I don't see a lot of true change to their nature now a days. However, that's what is in use and that is what must be dealt with. But I don't see any real reason to trust their idea of security anymore than in the past. Most of the malware that has been created and used over the years was made possible because of the way MS does things.
I am glad to see people still using SpyBot.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:03 pm

Thin Man wrote:
First off, I apologize if I came across as a crabby old "get off my lawn" geezer.
We never said that. :P However, you have to keep in mind that it is not just you dealing with those users. Some around here face those users, and some 10x worse, as part of their day jobs. So some of them do speak from experience and they do understand your pain.

Thin Man wrote:
My post was made after spending 2 hrs trying to setup a dual boot Win 10 and Mint Linux install for my neighbor who wants to transition to using Linux. Trouble is he has an Asus Z170 board with "Secure Boot" AAAAGGGGHHHH. (He didn't bring it to me until he had already installed Windows 10 using MS's blatant attempt to lock out other OS's and wanted to keep the original install.)
What kind of transition was he thinking? Just an instance to learn the ropes, or there is some file sharing involved? Because for such user with a Win10 install already in place, the best may be to enable Hyper-V and put the Linux on a VM itself. Yes, I know that this VM thing is a recurring theme. ;)

Thin Man wrote:
Anyway the main problem I've found with Windows Restore is that it will do just that, restore. I have more often than not found that the restore points end up just as infected as the system in use. So yes, the best way is keep an image on media not connected to the computer in use.
Windows 10 comes with baremetal image creation capability, similar to good old Ghost. It is 2017, we are not talking floppies anymore. On a basic install, a 32, or even 64 gig USB stick should do the trick?
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Dieter
Gerbil First Class

Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:12 pm

gmskking wrote:

Playing devil's advocate, how do you know? Besides ransomware, most modern malware runs without your knowledge and tries to make it have as little impact on your system as possible. See: APT.

Edit: ninja'd by ThinMan and just about everyone else.... Note to self: read page 2 before posting...

Bonusbartus
Gerbil

Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:57 pm

I fully understand what you are oing through. I get to solve these kind of problems often enough for family/friends.
Some stuff I would definitely recommend is Avira as antivirus and running some kind of ad-blocker.
As some around here mention, they tend to get disabled or are not working a lot of times, so what really helps here is something like pi-hole (https://pi-hole.net) works as dns based adblocker for your entire network. Just point the pcs to the pihole as dns server (either directly or from within your router) and you are saved from a lot if ads.
The disadvantage is that you need a device for this (raspberry pi, nas, Linux server)
What I did in my network last month is to install openwrt on my tplink tl-wdr4300 with the adblock package (https://github.com/openwrt/packages/blo ... /README.md) using the router as dns adblock server, and setting its firewall that any other (outside) dns servers get blocked.
These things make it easier to handle adblocking without having to teach people how to use their browser plugins. As a bonus, it keeps ada away from your phone too.

Thin Man
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:01 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
Thin Man wrote:
First off, I apologize if I came across as a crabby old "get off my lawn" geezer.
We never said that. :P However, you have to keep in mind that it is not just you dealing with those users. Some around here face those users, and some 10x worse, as part of their day jobs. So some of them do speak from experience and they do understand your pain.

Thin Man wrote:
My post was made after spending 2 hrs trying to setup a dual boot Win 10 and Mint Linux install for my neighbor who wants to transition to using Linux. Trouble is he has an Asus Z170 board with "Secure Boot" AAAAGGGGHHHH. (He didn't bring it to me until he had already installed Windows 10 using MS's blatant attempt to lock out other OS's and wanted to keep the original install.)
What kind of transition was he thinking? Just an instance to learn the ropes, or there is some file sharing involved? Because for such user with a Win10 install already in place, the best may be to enable Hyper-V and put the Linux on a VM itself. Yes, I know that this VM thing is a recurring theme. ;)

Thin Man wrote:
Anyway the main problem I've found with Windows Restore is that it will do just that, restore. I have more often than not found that the restore points end up just as infected as the system in use. So yes, the best way is keep an image on media not connected to the computer in use.
Windows 10 comes with baremetal image creation capability, similar to good old Ghost. It is 2017, we are not talking floppies anymore. On a basic install, a 32, or even 64 gig USB stick should do the trick?

Understood and agreed with, never said that anyone accused me. I was just acknowledging that the tone of my post could be misunderstood. And, as I said in the OP, I wasn't talking about everyone here. I do appreciate the level of experience and understanding thats often displayed. :D
The neighbor wants to be able to use both OS's until he's used to Linux's way of doing things. And yes, VM is the best answer security wise, but it's simply not the answer for someone who can't comprehend it and won't use it. One has to find a way for them to gradually learn about it while still being able to do their day to day things. I've found you can't just put it there and tell them they have to do it this way now. That's the quickest way to get them to hate it and refuse to ever use it. That was my point about it being a single user in a home environment. It's not a situation where you can say " This is policy now, and you have no choice" So the best method is not always the one that will work.

I know it's 2017 and imaging is possible through windows and you can dump it on flash drive. However I wasn't talking about 2017 at the time, system image wasn't in windows prior to 7 and USB sticks didn't exist back then. But it is the best way now.

Jaketech
Gerbil In Training

Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:32 am

LostCat wrote:
I find Defender good enough for most people but not all.

For the rest, there's always these.

https://www.av-comparatives.org/dynamic-tests/
https://www.av-comparatives.org/performance-tests/

Some very useful sites!! Thanks for sharing!

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:44 am

Traditional antivirus is verging on pointless these days, so just use Windows Defender (you already have it, and it's adequate).

First of all, stop the most common cause of infection by installing popup-blocker and script blockers for the browser.
I can recommend AdblockPlus combined with: Popup Blocker (strict) for chrome, Noscript for FF.

Malwarebytes or similar anti-malware will catch anything that does make it through your PEBKAC issues in the house.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

LostCat

Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:23 am

I think there are legitimately some people that need the extra protection some of the third party ones provide.

I just don't happen to be one of them. The one time I was concerned at all was when Flash was falling a bit behind on fixing zero days, but that was what a couple weeks out of the last ten years?

And now of course most browsers are making it click to play, so even less concern.
Meow.

Ifalna
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:39 am

Personally I don't see the point of an AV program.
in 15 years of Internet use, I ran across what. 2 viruses and 1 bitcoin miner?

The bitcoin miner did not get detected by Windows Defender (or MSE, not sure it was a while back) but was easy enough to recognize via hardware monitoring.
The 2 viruses I met on LAN parties. Funny thing if you want to grab a game from s/o else and your AV (Norton back in the Win9x days :D ) goes crazy.

These days I run Windows Defender, but oftentimes I wish I could get rid of it. Apart from the odd "potentially dangerous" alert on some game trainer (yes, I cheat in single player ;P) which interact with the game on a similar level as viruses act, I've never heard a peep from it, which brings me to the conclusion that the virus threats are far far less rampant than these companies would like you to believe they are.

Independent control scans from bootable media confirmed that my system is clean.

I guess browsing with care, not clicking on attachment of unknown E-mails and blocking all ads whatsoever (sorry TR) is enough.
The backbone of modern industrial society is, and for the foreseeable future will be, the use of electrical Power.

bfg-9000
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:00 am

Redocbew wrote:
Most AV scanners are still primarily signature based, and that's the drawback of signature based anti-virus in general.

Yep, you can only diagnose a disease if you know its name. But you can certainly know you are ill even if there's no name for it yet. The trouble is you can be ill and not feel ill.

First a Chrome guy and then a Firefox guy said AV is worse than useless.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:23 am

Posting to subscribe, as autosubscribe sends emails :/

NovusBogus
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:37 pm

Paid Malwarebytes is what you want. Traditional AV software is useless because malware doesn't work like the old days; installation and propagation is done via social engineering and browser exploit rather than binary haxorz.

Thin Man
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:39 pm

I would like to thank everyone for their suggestions. I'm taking them all into consideration and adjusting my practices accordingly. I'm giving Windows Defender a chance and believe me, that's a concession on my part, been dealing with MS too long to trust them easily. :D
Already use NoScript with FF and SuperAntiSpyware in Windows as I've found them both to be good programs. Will probably go with Malwarebytes paid as I have used the free version for a long time and it's always been good. 'Bout time I paid them back I guess. :wink:
Other than that, I'm relying on the best security practice that anyone can use...Common Sense. Again, Thanks Gerbils, for all the helpful responses.

Bobs_Your_Uncle
Gerbil

Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:24 pm

NovusBogus wrote:
Paid Malwarebytes is what you want. Traditional AV software is useless because malware doesn't work like the old days; installation and propagation is done via social engineering and browser exploit rather than binary haxorz.

Sound advice from an informed perspective, And while he undeniably is NovusBogus, he definitely is not a "Bogus Novice"; you can tell from use of the term "haxorz". ;)

I've picked up useful information from this thread that will lead to action and/or additional research, so like ThinMan; Thanks All! But I do have a further question: Now that the U.S. Congress has statutorily confirmed that we Citizen Consumers of the ISP plutocracy ... and especially our our privacy ... are now formally categorized as commodities to be freely exploited¹, VPNs are getting a lot of press.

Q: In addition to anonymity and the encrypted nature of I/O data flows, are there any other associated, non-obvious, security benefits that result from using a VPN?

¹("Freely exploitable commodities" wrt the ISP plutocracy: we Citizen Consumers of course must pay un-justifiably exorbitant monthly fees for the "privilege" of being a freely exploitable commodity.)

Robotics
Gerbil First Class

Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:32 am

what about Kaspersky notes? Everybody listen somebodies. A lot of news coming our minds, who say truth or legal. We see Vault 7, so i can say easily windows platforms have lots of problem about vulnerabilities. I agree your decision about AV programs on browsers but not at all on OS.

https://usblog.kaspersky.com/is-antivir ... ead/10774/