Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

Klickey
Gerbil

Re: AntiVirus suggestions

Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:34 am

Well....old time problem, but there are always new solutions.
Among the best, you may have Bitdefender and Microsoft Security, but Norton and Avira are competitive too. Best to read a comparison or review of different anti-malware before committing. I just searched randomly and found this one for example: https://www.1and1.com/digitalguide/server/security/comparison-of-the-best-antivirus-programs/
Every once in a while, a new technology, an old problem, and a big idea turn into an innovation - Dean Kamen :D

NoWhiteKnight
Gerbil

Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:33 pm

Klickey wrote:
Among the best, you may have Bitdefender and Microsoft Security, but Norton and Avira are competitive too. Best to read a comparison or review of different anti-malware before committing. I just searched randomly and found this one for example: https://www.1and1.com/digitalguide/server/security/comparison-of-the-best-antivirus-programs/

I just tried Bitdefender... Program would not install despite following their simple directions. Installer would stop after downloading additional components. Box would open with their dog logo and space background but no blue install button or language selection as was to appear.
Some research shows that I am not the only one experiencing problems with Bitdefender so approach that one with caution...

Klickey
Gerbil

Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:08 am

NoWhiteKnight wrote:
Klickey wrote:

I just tried Bitdefender... Program would not install despite following their simple directions. Installer would stop after downloading additional components. Box would open with their dog logo and space background but no blue install button or language selection as was to appear.
Some research shows that I am not the only one experiencing problems with Bitdefender so approach that one with caution...

Hmm...good to know, thanks! I'm using Microsoft Security actually, but I once installed the Bitdefender on my girlfriend's laptop and didn't see the problem you mentioned. Maybe it doesn't appear in the older version but in the latest one. Yeah, should be more careful then.
Every once in a while, a new technology, an old problem, and a big idea turn into an innovation - Dean Kamen :D

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:12 am

an AV should be last line of defense.
Defense should be layered and your AV should not be relied upon.

These are the layers I use at home:

first have two accounts on the machine, regular user account for general use and then an admin account for everything admin related. I use myname for the regular user account and then myname-admin for the admin account. Then UAC will prompt for the admin account password. The admin account should be a non-microsoft local only account.
This is also handy for troubleshooting where your user account is borked.

opendns or 9.9.9.9 for your dns. (any curated dns will work but I prefer these 2. Opendns works best for kids.)
firefox version 57 or later (reworked browser designed with more security in mind)
ublocker origin
malwarebytes anti-exploit beta

Regular windows firewall and windows defender, BUT I'm also behind a good router with nat and ipv4 only.

If you have kids on windows machine then setup family safety and opendns.

There you go everything free and a multi-layered approach to security!
Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.0Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon RX 580 8gb / 500gb toshiba ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD

AlikDiana
Gerbil

Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:13 am

tanker27 wrote:
Windows Defender.

And set up VMs and browse in those. :P

Yeah, I am also Use Windows Defender. I don't want to install other A/V programs.

SharonneM
Gerbil In Training

Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:38 am

I'd go for Bitdefender anytime.