whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Re: OS/2 is coming back.

Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:52 am

just brew it! wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
Unless you've got old OS/2 applications you want to run, I don't see much point other than historical curiosity.

Yeah I know what you mean. The apps I did have I threw out a long time go, and the only reason I would buy this is just to see what they managed to with it.

It's going to be difficult to do much of an evaluation if you don't have any apps to run on it.

I could use the ported FOSS applications I suppose.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:23 am

whm1974 wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
Yeah I know what you mean. The apps I did have I threw out a long time go, and the only reason I would buy this is just to see what they managed to with it.

It's going to be difficult to do much of an evaluation if you don't have any apps to run on it.

I could use the ported FOSS applications I suppose.

In which case you're mostly testing the quality of the application ports.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Concupiscence
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:54 am

just brew it! wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
Just watched a video review of the new ArcaOS:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PZE_swqO5U
38 minutes long however. I have half a mind to buy a copy and either run it in a VM or buy one of those cheap refubs from Newegg to check out it. Reportedly this thing flies on the low end and/or old hardware we tend to sneer at.

Unless you've got old OS/2 applications you want to run, I don't see much point other than historical curiosity.

Honest question: how good would a build of eComStation / Blue Lion be at running DOS games in the year 2017? I assume having a sound card with some level of Sound Blaster compatibility would still be a nicety...
Science: Core i9 7940x, 64 gigs RAM, Vega FE, Xubuntu 20.04
Work: Ryzen 5 3600, 32 gigs RAM, Radeon RX 580, Win10 Pro
Tinker: Core i5 2400, 8 gigs RAM, Radeon R9 280x, Xubuntu 20.04 + MS-DOS 7.10

Read me at https://www.wallabyjones.com/

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:54 am

Concupiscence wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
Just watched a video review of the new ArcaOS:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PZE_swqO5U
38 minutes long however. I have half a mind to buy a copy and either run it in a VM or buy one of those cheap refubs from Newegg to check out it. Reportedly this thing flies on the low end and/or old hardware we tend to sneer at.

Honest question: how good would a build of eComStation / Blue Lion be at running DOS games in the year 2017? I assume having a sound card with some level of Sound Blaster compatibility would still be a nicety...

It would probably work fine... but wouldn't just running DOSBOX be a simpler solution? IIRC there were guides to "installing" Windows 95 inside of OS/2 as if it were a DOS application, but I don't recall how well it worked...

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:59 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:
Concupiscence wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

It would probably work fine... but wouldn't just running DOSBOX be a simpler solution? IIRC there were guides to "installing" Windows 95 inside of OS/2 as if it were a DOS application, but I don't recall how well it worked...

Now I'm thinking there are going to be a bunch of ex-OS/2 users buying copies of Blue Lion just to play their old DOS games. Or even Win3.1 games.

Concupiscence
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:33 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:
Concupiscence wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Oh, by far. But I knew some people once upon a time who swore by OS/2 as their solution for Windows 3.1 and DOS apps without any need for rebooting, and wondered if that was still true today.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:32 pm

Concupiscence wrote:
Vhalidictes wrote:
Concupiscence wrote:

Oh, by far. But I knew some people once upon a time who swore by OS/2 as their solution for Windows 3.1 and DOS apps without any need for rebooting, and wondered if that was still true today.

I think due to OS/2 applications being hard to find, most users simply ran the same DOS and Win3.1 programs they were already using. I remember OS/2 3 Warp being for sale everywhere but no native apps....

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:32 pm

whm1974 wrote:
Concupiscence wrote:
Vhalidictes wrote:

I think due to OS/2 applications being hard to find, most users simply ran the same DOS and Win3.1 programs they were already using. I remember OS/2 3 Warp being for sale everywhere but no native apps....
Win3.1 actually ran better when installed in OS/2. OS/2 took care of the multitasking much better than Win3.1 could manage. Dos also ran just fine inside of OS/2.
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | Win7 Pro

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:52 pm

Like the fool I was at the time, I brought the "Red Pack" Of OS/2 Warp instead of the "Blue Pack" that included Win3.1. Oh well that is water under the bridge now....

Concupiscence
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:40 am

whm1974 wrote:
Like the fool I was at the time, I brought the "Red Pack" Of OS/2 Warp instead of the "Blue Pack" that included Win3.1. Oh well that is water under the bridge now....

In 2017 that's not really water under the bridge so much as, the bridge rotted and fell in, the regional authority dammed the river, and now the entire area's under 20 feet of water...