Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Otter Webbrowser

Mon May 29, 2017 1:23 pm

OK I found out about the Otter Webbrowser from watching a show from Switched to Linux on Youtube:
https://www.otter-browser.org/

It's base off of Opera Classic, which I did use on Windows 9x and BeOS. I'm now checking this one out to see if it can replaced Firefox which is becoming slower and somewhat buggy. Has anyone else tried using this browser before?

synthtel2
Gerbil Elite

Re: Otter Webbrowser

Mon May 29, 2017 3:12 pm

whm1974 wrote:
It's base off of Opera Classic

Now that's a mean thing to say. :P It looks like the idea is to recreate a lot of its UI aspects, but it's WebKit under the hood, as there aren't many real options for that. I was a huge fan of Opera 12, but that was just as much about Presto as it was about the UI.

How recent are these Firefox issues you speak of? As only a light user of addons, I'm pretty happy with their technical direction of late, and subjectively I think performance is on a clear upward trend at the moment.

My biggest concern with the browser landscape at the moment is WebKit/Blink's dominance (especially in mobile). It's nothing like the bad old days of the IE-only internet, but on mobile sites that effect is definitely showing up again, and I find it worrying. My small part in keeping that from getting worse is to not let my own use show up as WebKit/Blink in stats (and to ramble about it when appropriate :wink:).

I wish Otter luck, though. More browser options of any technical independence level are definitely welcome.

EndlessWaves
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon May 29, 2017 3:39 pm

Judging from the website and version numbers it hasn't got to Vivaldi's level of polish yet but it'll be worth trying when it gets to 1.0. It's always nice to have another take on Classic's Opera given that the mainstream browser world is so enamoured of minimalism in interfaces these days (yet also tinker enough to break old interface plugins).

ZeliPapa
Gerbil In Training

Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:34 am

everything is better than this crappy Vivaldi ****
projects like Otter Browser deserves more attention
seems to work very good, although it's still not Opera 12's Presto :(