Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

shin7772
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Outlook 2010, search doesn't work since last week.

Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:49 am

I have outlook 2010 setup(pop/imap) and search isn't working. I tried rebuilding index and it didn't work. What could be the problem? Search works but it searches only till last Friday and anything I received from Saturday to today isn't searchable. How do I fix this?

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Outlook 2010, search doesn't work since last week.

Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:11 am

I ran into this on my work PC. Turns out that Outlook 2010 uses Desktop Search to perform that function!

Double check your Search process and settings, and see if that helps. Right click the drive Outlook is installed on (likely C:), Properties, General tab, and make sure "Allow Files on this drive to be indexed..." at the bottom is checked.

You can Internet SearchTM for "rebuild windows search index" for some help if indeed this is the problem.

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:25 am

Create a new outlook profile first.
It is much faster than rebuilding the entire index for your computer.

Creating a new outlook profile will just rebuild the index for your email. You can always rebuild the entire index if need be.
Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.0Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon RX 580 8gb / 500gb toshiba ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:11 pm

Aranarth wrote:
Create a new outlook profile first.
It is much faster than rebuilding the entire index for your computer.

Creating a new outlook profile will just rebuild the index for your email. You can always rebuild the entire index if need be.

What he said.

Also, depending on how you bought Outlook 2010, you may be entitled to a free upgrade. Outlook 2016 is way better at handling large OST/PST files and is less likely to break the index in the first place. I'm not sure of the specifics but using it with locally-hosted public folders in Exchange 2010 and hybrid Exchange accounts under O365, Outlook 2016 has been far more stable with better data file integrity and cache management.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Aether
Gerbil First Class

Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:17 pm

Search in Outlook 2010 started flaking out for me last week right after Windows 10 updated to the Creator's Edition (version 1703). At first, it would not find anything newer than Jun 2015, so I followed instructions I found online to have Outlook rebuild the search index, and also used scanpst.exe to fix the .ost files. It seems like this has mostly fixed the issue, but Outlook now seems like it does not keep up with indexing new messages very quickly now. (I just did a search for a word in a message I received as few minutes ago, and Outlook is not finding it.)

Aether
Gerbil First Class

Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:29 pm

Chrispy_ wrote:
Outlook 2016 is way better at handling large OST/PST files and is less likely to break the index in the first place. I'm not sure of the specifics but using it with locally-hosted public folders in Exchange 2010 and hybrid Exchange accounts under O365, Outlook 2016 has been far more stable with better data file integrity and cache management.

Good to know. I think I'll make upgrading to Outlook 2016 a priority.

Aether
Gerbil First Class

Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:32 pm

I upgraded to Outlook 2016 today, and it appears to have resolved the search issues, as expected. (And FWIW, the upgrade went very smoothly. It took a little bit of time before all of the messages were available, as I think Outlook re-downloaded and indexed all of the messages on the server, but this was a minor inconvenience.)