Personal computing discussed

Moderator: Dposcorp

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Adobe will put Flash out to pasture by 2020

Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:29 pm

Unfortunately, the Adobe blog post detailing the company's plans to kill Flash appears to be down at the moment, but PC World also chronicled Adobe's plan to kill something that was already dead to begin with.

The only thing I was initially concerned with when Chrome dropped Flash by default was what would happen to Homestar Runner. Fortunately, the brothers Chapman have been posting their stuff on YouTube. They knew back in 2015 that Flash is dead. :lol:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Vhalidictes
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Adobe will put Flash out to pasture by 2020

Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:40 pm

At this juncture I think it's safe to say that Adobe's plan for retiring Flash is also dead.

whm1974
Gerbil Elder

Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:39 pm

Unfortunately I think a few sites I go to regularly still use Flash, such as Crackle and CWTV.com. Flash is like the living dead and where is the cleric to banished the undead when we need her?

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:16 pm

Try having to deal with Federal Agency X whose on-line portal, a/k/a the only way ti upload quarterly required data, is still 100% Silverlight.
Humans sleep soundly in their beds because rough cats stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

whm1974
Gerbil Elder

Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:26 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Try having to deal with Federal Agency X whose on-line portal, a/k/a the only way ti upload quarterly required data, is still 100% Silverlight.

I thought Microsoft killed that a few years ago?

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:29 pm

Cue tangent #87 on supporting legacy software.

Although I guess that almost fits here.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:31 pm

whm1974 wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:

Indeed. But government bureaucracy moves very slowly.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:37 pm

just brew it! wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
I've yet to get a feeling that Federal Agency X has cottoned on to that fact, or its widespread deprecation in browsers. AFAIK, the only browsers that work are IE11 and the "take your own danger" build of FF54.x.x (a/k/a the "Flash Build") that will be supported for about another year or so.
Humans sleep soundly in their beds because rough cats stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

whm1974
Gerbil Elder

Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:48 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
I've yet to get a feeling that Federal Agency X has cottoned on to that fact, or its widespread deprecation in browsers. AFAIK, the only browsers that work are IE11 and the "take your own danger" build of FF54.x.x (a/k/a the "Flash Build") that will be supported for about another year or so.

Well I for one don't miss it. Back when I had Netflix and Amazon Prime I had to use Pipelight and Wine to be able to watch their videos on Linux. I'm glad I don't have to do that anymore.

Vhalidictes
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:51 pm

just brew it! wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:

To be fair to the (government?) programmers, MS didn't give a lot of warning or even hints before sunsetting Silverlight. IIRC there was a Linux version and everything.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:58 pm

whm1974 wrote:
Well I for one don't miss it. Back when I had Netflix and Amazon Prime I had to use Pipelight and Wine to be able to watch their videos on Linux. I'm glad I don't have to do that anymore.

And I had to set up the daughter's Kubuntu laptop with the precise old and deprecated version of FF that would hide the user agent fields from Silverlight so she could get Nexflix on that lappy.

*nix has fixed that particular bottleneck. Federal Agency X supervises 5,857 institutions with $1.36 Trillion in assets and yet it doesn't understand that its mandatory reporting tool will likely go Tango Uniform by the end of 2017 in ALL browsers.

whm1974
Gerbil Elder

Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:38 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
whm1974 wrote:

And I had to set up the daughter's Kubuntu laptop with the precise old and deprecated version of FF that would hide the user agent fields from Silverlight so she could get Nexflix on that lappy.

*nix has fixed that particular bottleneck. Federal Agency X supervises 5,857 institutions with $1.36 Trillion in assets and yet it doesn't understand that its mandatory reporting tool will likely go Tango Uniform by the end of 2017 in ALL browsers.

Just how dependent is the Federal Government on Microsoft software and standards? I can remember reading some advanced destroyer that the Navy was working on, but since its computer systems ran use Windows NT they had all kinds of problems with it. But that was years ago.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:45 pm

whm1974 wrote:
Just how dependent is the Federal Government on Microsoft software and standards? I can remember reading some advanced destroyer that the Navy was working on, but since its computer systems ran use Windows NT they had all kinds of problems with it. But that was years ago.

I've seen weapons systems that run Windows XP. Those systems are still in use too, AFAIK. Yup, the mind boggles.

I can just imagine getting a pop-up dialog that says "Missile Launcher 1.6 has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on might be lost."

whm1974
Gerbil Elder

Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:47 pm

just brew it! wrote:
whm1974 wrote:

I've seen weapons systems that run Windows XP. Those systems are still in use too, AFAIK. Yup, the mind boggles.

Just a matter before they get hacked, if they haven't been already.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:49 pm

whm1974 wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
whm1974 wrote:

They're not connected to the internet. So at least there's that.

whm1974
Gerbil Elder

Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:51 pm

just brew it! wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

They're not connected to the internet. So at least there's that.

Thank God for small favors???

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:17 pm

just brew it! wrote:

I can just imagine getting a pop-up dialog that says "Missile Launcher 1.6 has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on might be lost."

"There may be a slight ringing in your ears. Fortunately, you won't be anywhere near them."
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

whm1974
Gerbil Elder

Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:58 am

OK so what other outdated Hardware and Software is still in use thanks to slow government bureaucracy? Stuff that is so old that no one living or at least no young person even knows anything about it? I know that 8" floppies are still being used...

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:02 am

If we're including software (and by extension programming languages), how about Fortran and COBOL?

captaintrav
Gerbil First Class

Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:08 am

Captain Ned wrote:

We have a project in flight, supposedly to go into production in fall, that requires Silverlight. The system it's replacing is on is running an Oracle 8 backend, so I guess that's progress.

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:14 am

It's actual irony (the opposite of what you would expect) that the global moderator is always the guy that takes a thread off-topic, isn't it?
Last edited by derFunkenstein on Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

captaintrav
Gerbil First Class

Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:14 am

I almost forgot, does it top everything that I still work for an outfit that's using Lotus Notes?

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:15 am

Dunno where you work but I know Caterpillar still uses Notes, too.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:25 am

captaintrav wrote:
I almost forgot, does it top everything that I still work for an outfit that's using Lotus Notes?

Still use it in my workplace too. Hardly anyone uses e-mail for anything important as a result. Everyone just uses Slack for everything now.

Concupiscence
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:38 pm

just brew it! wrote:
If we're including software (and by extension programming languages), how about Fortran and COBOL?

Fortran's alive and well in scientific computing. A lot of its use cases are increasingly being filled in with Python linking to optimized libraries (which themselves are written in C/C++ and Fortran), but it's still very present in its niches. And that's to its credit: it's very good at what it does, and many of its compilers generate awesome code. It helps that newer versions of Fortran do away with all caps and punch card formatting rules, and extend the specification very nicely.

COBOL's one of those ghosts haunting mainframes and big iron, where the people who learned it 30 or 40 years ago are in their dotage and trying to find successors to train in their stead. I'd imagine there's good money to be made doing it, as many of those systems are responsible for crucial operations within large organizations, but it's the definition of a niche. Whenever the company finally (maybe) migrates to a newer solution, you could find yourself difficult to hire by din of hyper-specialization. But if you wanted to rack up money for a few decades then retire early, you could do much worse.

Fortran and COBOL are both very good at what they do, and their spec updates through the years have improved their capabilities. Flash started out as a band-aid for the problem of playing media and simple games in scenarios where clients suffered from low bandwidth and computational power. As that situation improved, Flash sprawled in capability to become more useful, and created a remorseless hellhole of security vulnerabilities in the process. The only reason to mourn its passing is that it will leave behind large volumes of media created in the late '90s and subsequent years. As I said on Reddit, Flash going away without exports to video will turn all of that content into a locked museum with the lights turned off. And that doesn't even touch on Flash games...
Workstation: Core i9 7940x, 32 gigs RAM, Geforce GTX 1070 Ti, Windows 10 Pro
Play: Ryzen 7 1700, 16 gigs RAM, Geforce GTX Titan X (Maxwell), Xubuntu 18.04

whm1974
Gerbil Elder

Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:12 pm

I thought COBOL was completely phased out in the early 2000s? Anyone still using Pascal or BASIC?

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:15 pm

Sure, someone somewhere is.

Commodore BASIC was my first language when I was a kid. Pascal was my second in high school. I can't write a lick of either anymore, though.

Glorious
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:20 pm

whm1974 wrote:
I thought COBOL was completely phased out in the early 2000s?

lolno

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:30 pm

whm1974 wrote:

Not only has it not been phased out, many university CompSci curricula still include it.

From page 263 of the Northern Illinois University Course Catalog for the 2016-2017 academic year:
250. COMPUTER PROGRAMMING IN COBOL (4). A laboratory
course in computer programming using the COBOL language.
Emphasis on applications which require data management and the
solution of problems involving evaluation of large amounts of data.
Extensive laboratory work. Not available for credit to students with
credit in CSCI 360. PRQ: MATH 110 or consent of department.

whm1974
Gerbil Elder

Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:33 pm

just brew it! wrote:
whm1974 wrote:

Not only has it not been phased out, many university CompSci curricula still include it.

From page 263 of the Northern Illinois University Course Catalog for the 2016-2017 academic year:
250. COMPUTER PROGRAMMING IN COBOL (4). A laboratory
course in computer programming using the COBOL language.
Emphasis on applications which require data management and the
solution of problems involving evaluation of large amounts of data.
Extensive laboratory work. Not available for credit to students with
credit in CSCI 360. PRQ: MATH 110 or consent of department.

Why in hell is COBOL still in use? Don't we have more modern languages to replace it?