Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Adobe will put Flash out to pasture by 2020

Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:35 pm

whm1974 wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
I thought COBOL was completely phased out in the early 2000s?

Not only has it not been phased out, many university CompSci curricula still include it.

From page 263 of the Northern Illinois University Course Catalog for the 2016-2017 academic year:
250. COMPUTER PROGRAMMING IN COBOL (4). A laboratory
course in computer programming using the COBOL language.
Emphasis on applications which require data management and the
solution of problems involving evaluation of large amounts of data.
Extensive laboratory work. Not available for credit to students with
credit in CSCI 360. PRQ: MATH 110 or consent of department.

Why in hell is COBOL still in use? Don't we have more modern languages to replace it?

Billions of lines of legacy COBOL code still in use is why. Someone still needs to maintain and enhance those applications, and it is too costly to rewrite it all in a more modern language.

You seem to enjoy messing around with some of the less popular Linux distros; why not some of the less popular (these days) programming languages too? The Debian/Ubuntu repositories include a COBOL compiler; go for it! :lol:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

captaintrav
Gerbil First Class

Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:41 pm

just brew it! wrote:
captaintrav wrote:
I almost forgot, does it top everything that I still work for an outfit that's using Lotus Notes?

Still use it in my workplace too. Hardly anyone uses e-mail for anything important as a result. Everyone just uses Slack for everything now.

I wish, something like Slack would not ever pass our security and privacy requirements.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:45 pm

just brew it! wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
Not only has it not been phased out, many university CompSci curricula still include it.

From page 263 of the Northern Illinois University Course Catalog for the 2016-2017 academic year:

Why in hell is COBOL still in use? Don't we have more modern languages to replace it?

Billions of lines of legacy COBOL code still in use is why. Someone still needs to maintain and enhance those applications, and it is too costly to rewrite it all in a more modern language.

You seem to enjoy messing around with some of the less popular Linux distros; why not some of the less popular (these days) programming languages too? The Debian/Ubuntu repositories include a COBOL compiler; go for it! :lol:

I suppose I should have learn COBOL back in the 90's and made a fairly decent living maintaining code older then I am, but at the time I sneered at using old fossils in dire need of replacement.

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:52 pm

whm1974 wrote:

Better question: why does it need replaced?

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:55 pm

Glorious wrote:
whm1974 wrote:

Because it was first developed in the 50's/60's?

Redocbew
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:58 pm

How long has it been since you were "developed"? I think we should replace you. :P
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:59 pm

whm1974 wrote:
Glorious wrote:
whm1974 wrote:

Because it was first developed in the 50's/60's?

So what?

It does what it was designed for well, and there are billions of dollars invested in development and testing of existing COBOL code. All the companies still running COBOL code should throw all of that out and start over just because the language has been around longer than most of the people on this forum? That doesn't make any sense to me.

Edit: Development of UNIX (on which the Linux CLI and system calls were modeled) started in the 1960s too. Maybe we should throw Linux out and start over, since it is based on "old" tech?

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:01 pm

Redocbew wrote:
How long has it been since you were "developed"? I think we should replace you. :P

When I end up in a nursing home then yes it is time to replace me.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:09 pm

whm1974 wrote:
Redocbew wrote:

When I end up in a nursing home then yes it is time to replace me.

COBOL is far from being ready for the nursing home. It is more like that quiet middle-aged guy in the accounting department who has been there for decades and that almost everyone takes for granted, but without whom the business would cease to operate smoothly.

Redocbew
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:10 pm

The thing is, languages have a way of keeping their faculties in order better than we do. :P Programming languages never really die they just fade from popularity.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:28 pm

Old languages get "reborn", too. Visual Basic may not have much resemblance to its forebear, but it's still pretty popular. Informix 4GL runs on everything from mainframes to mobile phones.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:39 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Old languages get "reborn", too. Visual Basic may not have much resemblance to its forebear, but it's still pretty popular. Informix 4GL runs on everything from mainframes to mobile phones.

VB is another language that I thought had died out...

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:44 pm

Again, you've gotta get over the idea of "died out" on any language. Give it a modern platform to run in and it's fine. Too much money and time invested in apps to just discard them.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:49 pm

Lisp (invented in the 1950s) is still alive and well too.

https://xkcd.com/224/
https://xkcd.com/297/

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:56 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Again, you've gotta get over the idea of "died out" on any language. Give it a modern platform to run in and it's fine. Too much money and time invested in apps to just discard them.

just brew it! wrote:

OK guys I'll get over the "It's old so its time for to it be replaced" mantra I have been following for last 20 plus years. :o

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:37 pm

just brew it! wrote:

Next thing you know, someone will take another run at Multics.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:57 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Next thing you know, someone will take another run at Multics.

The OS is still available (under an Open Source license), and someone has written a simulator for one of the mainframes it ran on:
http://multicians.org/simulator.html

Apparently the simulator has even been ported to the Raspberry Pi. (At least one person seems to think that the RPi version is pretty close to the performance of the original Multics on the hardware of the time.)

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:40 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Apparently the simulator has even been ported to the Raspberry Pi. (At least one person seems to think that the RPi version is pretty close to the performance of the original Multics on the hardware of the time.)

Is there anything in the Jargon File that is truly dead? I would have thought Multics to be the test case (and you and I are probably the only 2 gerbils to know of its previous existence in the first place).

For those of about 1 to 3 generations after Multics, UNIX was named solely because it wasn't Multics, but did the same things (though not with the strong security built into Multics). Check the Jargon File.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:47 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Is there anything in the Jargon File that is truly dead? I would have thought Multics to be the test case (and you and I are probably the only 2 gerbils to know of its previous existence in the first place).

For those of about 1 to 3 generations after Multics, UNIX was named solely because it wasn't Multics, but did the same things (though not with the strong security built into Multics). Check the Jargon File.

While I knew about it due to knowing UNIX's history. But I didn't know it was still alive and ported to the Raspberry Pi.