Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

MaxTheLimit
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Kaspersky Free

Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:25 am

So I came across this:
LINK

I was wondering if anyone has looked into this new free version of Kaspersky?
How does it compare? I'd like to see a site like AVcomparatives look into how it does...The paid version of Kaspersky seems to have pretty good detection rates, with low false positives. I wonder if the free version matches up well.

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Kaspersky Free

Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:40 am

Mmm... free Russian spyware!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:46 am

just brew it! wrote:

Good point, but given the good (somewhat old now) reviews of the software... you'd still have a decent shot at keeping non-State-actors out.

Which might be enough for some people.

MaxTheLimit
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:10 pm

just brew it! wrote:

Yes, yes. The data stuff aside though. I mean purely in terms of the ability of the software to detect infections / incoming threats.

It's getting increasingly difficult to trust ANY security software providers at this point.

Walkintarget
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:30 am

I've been a long-time Kaspersky user, and was made aware of this free version in the past week. I will toss it on a few PCs that I built for sale - I have nothing to hide, so if it phones home, no big deal. What vendor doesn't collect data about you in some way, shape or form ??

Between Google and Amazon, they know everything about you, including what type of furry pr0n you are into. But nobody even thinks twice about using their sites.
AMD Ryzen R5 2600x, Asus Prime x470 Pro, Sapphire Nitro Fury 4GB, HP EX920 512GB NVMe SSD, 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro, 4TB WD Red HDD, Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Ed, Win 10 Pro

BIF
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:33 pm

Got news for you... "pr0n" (and all of its variants, such as "pr()n", etc) is a thing, and has been for at least 10 years now. Surely by now, the word shows up in access reports just as if the original were typed.

As to the question of being "phoned home on" by Kaspersky, is it really something to worry about? Indeed, I'd think that by now some smart user would have learned if this software had any ulterior motives.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:48 pm

BIF wrote:
Got news for you... "pr0n" (and all of its variants, such as "pr()n", etc) is a thing, and has been for at least 10 years now. Surely by now, the word shows up in access reports just as if the original were typed.

Regardless of this, these euphemisms seems to have entered general usage.

BIF wrote:
As to the question of being "phoned home on" by Kaspersky, is it really something to worry about? Indeed, I'd think that by now some smart user would have learned if this software had any ulterior motives.

Just because it doesn't phone home or install a back door today is no guarantee it won't after the next update. At the end of the day, who would you be less comfortable with rummaging around the contents of your PC -- the NSA or the FSB?

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:39 pm

You shouldn't trust the Russians or the Americaners. Use something with no hidden agenda: Qihoo 360.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:53 pm

meerkt wrote:
You shouldn't trust the Russians or the Americaners. Use something with no hidden agenda: Qihoo 360.

Heh. Can't say I particularly trust the Chinese either.

NovusBogus
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:38 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Just because it doesn't phone home or install a back door today is no guarantee it won't after the next update. At the end of the day, who would you be less comfortable with rummaging around the contents of your PC -- the NSA or the FSB?

While I don't trust either of them, I'm more worried about the one with de facto jurisdiction to send black helicopters to disappear my whole town if it's politically expedient. So, being US based as I am, I'd go with Kaspersky if it came down to it. I'm more of a MBAM guy though. It's less invasive and better suited for the more social-enginerring type of malware that's prevalent these days.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:43 pm

just brew it! wrote:

Gotta figure that if you ever make any Russian enemies, the FSB will quietly leave something there that wakes up the NSA.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

DeadOfKnight
Gerbil Elite

Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:54 pm

Try Bitdefender Free, it's just as good as an antivirus (that's all it is is an antivirus, none of the other features are included) and it's not trialware that will expire on you and force you to upgrade.
Intel Core i7-5775c, Asus Maximus VII Formula, Win 10 Pro
RTX 2080 Ti FE, Corsair 2x8GB DDR3-1866, Corsair AX860
Corsair H105, WD Red 4TB x2, Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, Alienware AW3418DW, Corsair 450D