Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

chuckula
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

OMG Java 9 is finally out

Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:53 am

While people who use Java for heavy development have probably already been messing with the beta versions of the software heavily, Oracle finally released the JRE & JDK packages for Java 9 to the world at large today: https://fossbytes.com/java-9-features-r ... ad-course/

Incidentally, I downloaded the official JRE packages for my Arch system not because I love Java (quite the opposite) but because I'm forced to use Java Web Start to run an important but relatively simple application at work. And...... the application broke when I tried to run it with JRE 9. So I rolled back to version 8. Yay regression testing. Incidentally, I have zero control over the broken application so I can't go fix it or even really debug what the problem is.
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; Officially RX-560... that's right AMD you shills!; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.

MileageMayVary
Gerbil XP

Re: OMG Java 9 is finally out

Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:20 am

chuckula wrote:
And...... the application broke when I tried to run it with JRE 9. So I rolled back to version 8. Yay regression testing. Incidentally, I have zero control over the broken application so I can't go fix it or even really debug what the problem is.

Ahh, good times.
Main rig: Ryzen 3600X, R9 290@1100MHz, 16GB@2933MHz, 1080-1440-1080 Ultrasharps.

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:24 am

Oof, this is gonna suck.

TwistedKestrel
Gerbil Elite

Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:45 am

chuckula wrote:
Incidentally, I downloaded the official JRE packages for my Arch system not because I love Java (quite the opposite) but because I'm forced to use Java Web Start to run an important but relatively simple application at work. And...... the application broke when I tried to run it with JRE 9. So I rolled back to version 8. Yay regression testing. Incidentally, I have zero control over the broken application so I can't go fix it or even really debug what the problem is.

Be honest, though - you completely expected that

chuckula
Topic Author

Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:54 am

TwistedKestrel wrote:
chuckula wrote:

Be honest, though - you completely expected that

You have a point that I never said I was surprised by the result :-)
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; Officially RX-560... that's right AMD you shills!; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:23 am

Yeah, this is gonna suck. Although I don't develop in Java myself, we have massive amounts of Java code here where I work. There's already some internal chatter about how it may eventually impact us.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

chuckula
Topic Author

Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:31 am

just brew it! wrote:
Yeah, this is gonna suck. Although I don't develop in Java myself, we have massive amounts of Java code here where I work. There's already some internal chatter about how it may eventually impact us.

With a lot of installed code bases it's not so much of question of wanting some whiz-bang Java 9 feature that makes you want to upgrade. Instead, it's the dread of realizing that whatever older version of Java you are using won't be supported forever and you'll have to upgrade at some point. That's especially true if the upgrade is forced due to some unpatched security bug in an old version of Java.

LostCat

Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:09 am

I had a use for Java once...hmm.

Probably not worth it, considering it's just another thing needing regular attention.
Meow.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:19 am

Well you've still got six months of updates for Java 8 at least. The release notes have a boatload of changes and I'm sure this is going to break a bunch of code. Good luck, guys!

Here's one spot where working in a Microsoft shop isn't so bad. :lol:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:23 am

It's almost like they're trying to break Java compatibility these days. Hurray for legacy software that won't ever get updated...and maintaining (and securing) old-as-dirt packages to keep things running in production. :P
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

LostCat

Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:27 am

Oh, I guess my one thing already ended development anyway :D
Meow.

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:40 pm

MileageMayVary wrote:
chuckula wrote:
And...... the application broke when I tried to run it with JRE 9. So I rolled back to version 8. Yay regression testing. Incidentally, I have zero control over the broken application so I can't go fix it or even really debug what the problem is.

Ahh, good times.

Could be worse! Could be the Cisco ASDM. I've resorted to a Mint image running from VirtualBox on my Windows desktop just to open that.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:59 pm

I think it's (past) time to have a serious look at virtual desktops for legacy Java apps, especially ones running in the browser. I still have several of those (fortunately on not many computers) and they invariably require Internet Explorer and an ancient unsupported JRE with multiple security holes.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

223 Fan
Gerbil

Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:13 pm

Finally. We use Java for all development, other than one JNI library written in C++. Optional.stream() will be very helpful with both flatMap() and findAny() in streams. Modules are too new to play with yet, though I see the utility. We'll see how long all of our favorite Maven projects take to get modularized. Reactive streams will hopefully speed the adoption of libraries like RxJava. And, for all the other Java annoyances, we use Project Lombok to make boilerplate less painful.

Pancake
Gerbil First Class

Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:19 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Well you've still got six months of updates for Java 8 at least. The release notes have a boatload of changes and I'm sure this is going to break a bunch of code. Good luck, guys!

Here's one spot where working in a Microsoft shop isn't so bad. :lol:

No, instead you have to deal with the prospect of your ENTIRE codebase being deprecated! I don't understand the issues people have with Java compatibility. It's usually due to crufty coding practices and crufty programmers are always gonna do what they do. My codebase runs on Java 6 onwards with no issues on any version of Windows, Mac OS or Linux... Or any web browser from IE6 onwards including Chrome, Firefox and Edge...