Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

Acidicheartburn
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Purchasing Windows 10

Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:21 pm

I'm building a media PC and must have Windows 10 for it. I'm a little confused about the pricing and what version to buy.

Windows 10 home is about $120, though it can be found from Microcenter for $110 for an OEM licensed version. However, I'm also seeing it for sale for as low as under $40 via a google search: https://www.google.com/search?q=buy+windows+10&source=lnms&tbm=shop&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjSjK-v6JHXAhXk5YMKHRFxCDUQ_AUICigB&biw=1472&bih=725

One of the sellers is "MSOffice Works": https://msofficeworks.com/product/microsoft-windows-10-professional-64-bit-instant-download?gclid=CjwKCAjwssvPBRBBEiwASFoVd5d-jVqirFFAXAgA69dizlVGHXd-GrOU0U78gxHqlZ9rHZbCpKcZMRoC83MQAvD_BwE

Another is "software ports"where they offer a few different versions of Win 10: https://softwareports.com/product-category/software/operating-systems/

Are these places selling these various versions of Win 10 for far cheaper than Newegg, Microsoft, or Microcenter legitimate? Google lists seller ratings for both, 4/5 stars with 869 reviews for MSOffice Works and 5/5 stars with 622 reviews. I'm assuming these reviews could be faked?

And what's the deal with the product naming on the software ports website? They have some that say full version and some that don't, but both are the same price. How/are these different from your normal Windows OEM one time use license?

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Re: Purchasing Windows 10

Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:28 pm

Sellers who aren't offering the full, sealed retail package (which is the only one that can be resold with Microsoft's blessing) are usually offering some combination of a bulk, refurb, or OEM kit that may work but is probably not licensed for resale and may not be supported by Microsoft if you run into activation problems later.

If you want to go that route, I suggest searching "WIndows 10 Pro OEM" on eBay and looking for sellers in the $40-60 range who show pictures of the OEM package with DVD, CoA, and sealed red tape. These are usually system builder kits that are not technically licensed for resale or distribution except with a new PC, but as long as it is installed and activated on one and only one new PC, it won't cause problems with Microsoft's activation process.
Last edited by ludi on Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

jihadjoe
Gerbil Elite

Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:28 pm

If you have a 7/8/8.1 license or can get one for cheap, you can still upgrade to 10 for free using the Accessibility site

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessi ... s10upgrade

Acidicheartburn
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:45 pm

ludi wrote:
Sellers who aren't offering the full, sealed retail package (which is the only one that can be resold with Microsoft's blessing) are usually offering some combination of a bulk, refurb, or OEM kit that may work but is probably not licensed for resale and may not be supported by Microsoft if you run into activation problems later.

If you want to go that route, I suggest searching "WIndows 10 Pro OEM" on eBay and looking for sellers in the $40-60 range who show pictures of the OEM package with DVD, CoA, and sealed red tape. These are usually system builder kits that are not technically licensed for resale or distribution except with a new PC, but as long as it is installed and activated on one and only one new PC, it won't cause problems with Microsoft's activation process.

In the past, I usually always bought an OEM version of Vista or 7, usually through Newegg. These were always one-motherboard use licenses, and were usually about $110 or so, while the regular/full licenses were almost twice that. Now what's the difference between the OEM for $100 vs the "normal" versions for $20 more? Can these non-OEM versions be installed on different motherboards like the full versions of Vista and 7 were able to?

jihadjoe wrote:
If you have a 7/8/8.1 license or can get one for cheap, you can still upgrade to 10 for free using the Accessibility site

This is an entirely new computer, no existing license available.

freebird
Gerbil

Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:01 pm

Acidicheartburn wrote:
ludi wrote:

In the past, I usually always bought an OEM version of Vista or 7, usually through Newegg. These were always one-motherboard use licenses, and were usually about $110 or so, while the regular/full licenses were almost twice that. Now what's the difference between the OEM for $100 vs the "normal" versions for $20 more? Can these non-OEM versions be installed on different motherboards like the full versions of Vista and 7 were able to?

jihadjoe wrote:

I think the upgrade, just checks if a Windows 7 key is valid. You might be able to use one from another computer if you want to try it. Or you could even buy an "used" Dell or something being sold on any # of sites use the key, use the parts or sell them on ebay if you want to go that route. Especially when Newegg or someone else is selling some cheap off lease old PCs for around $200 or so.

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:08 pm

https://www.bonanza.com/listings/Windows-10-Home-32-64-Lifetime-Key/505443914
For $10 I'll give it a try next time I need a Win10 license on a build. (Got that link from someone else at TR)
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

travbrad
Gerbil XP

Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:47 pm

Acidicheartburn wrote:

Yep the "normal" version can be transferred to other mobos without problems. The OEM version technically can't (you might be able to talk Microsoft into it, but it's not guaranteed). The extra $20 doesn't seem bad to me for some peace of mind.

Of course if you find those keys for cheap, you could probably buy multiple keys anyway for the price of a full retail copy in the first place. I think they usually "work" from everything I've heard about them, but a lot of them probably aren't technically "legit" keys for personal system builders. Probably not an issue in most cases since they activate fine but calling Microsoft for help re-activating in the future might not go so well.
6700K @ 4.6ghz || ASUS Sabertooth Z170 S || Crucial Ballistix DDR4-2400 16GB
ASUS STRIX GTX 970 || EVGA Supernova 750W G2 || Noctua NH-D15 || Fractal Define R5
Crucial MX200 500GB || 2x WD Blue 6TB || 2x WDGreen 2TB
Philips 272G5DYEB || Dell U2312HM

CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:38 pm

HERETIC
Gerbil XP

Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:22 pm

Acidicheartburn wrote:

jihadjoe wrote:

Bit messy,but if money is tight-
W7 licence's can be had for around $10 on ebay.
Install W7.
Update to 10
Once activated do a fresh install of 10...............
good luck.

Acidicheartburn
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:53 pm

freebird wrote:
Acidicheartburn wrote:
ludi wrote:

jihadjoe wrote:

I think the upgrade, just checks if a Windows 7 key is valid. You might be able to use one from another computer if you want to try it. Or you could even buy an "used" Dell or something being sold on any # of sites use the key, use the parts or sell them on ebay if you want to go that route. Especially when Newegg or someone else is selling some cheap off lease old PCs for around $200 or so.

I'm having a hard time seeing how it makes sense to buy a $200 computer to get the Win 7 key from it when I could just outright Buy a full version of 10 for half that.

CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:35 pm

Yeah, you can get the OS from MS and then purchase a Windows 10 key from EBAY for less than $5:

ex.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Instant-Windows- ... 0005.m1851

-and really, MS has transitioned from OS provider to a provider of analytics (..basically mining your data) - so your Windows OS really should be free considering that they are using your information (..though I don't mind a modest surcharge). I just wish they would come clean and flat-out state that they are using your data.

ozzuneoj
Gerbil Elite

Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:58 pm

I believe you can still fresh install Windows 10 using any Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 key, assuming you're installing the correct version (Home, Pro, etc.) and that license isn't actively being used on another system.

I've done this several times and just did it last week. The latest Windows 10 installer (downloadable from MS) asks for your key and will install the proper version for that key without even asking you to try to match it up (8 was terrible when trying to match up OEM\retail\upgrade installer versions with the correct keys).
Fractal Design Define R6 - Ryzen 5 3600 - Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite - 16GB DDR4-3000 - PNY GTX 970
IBM 5150 - Intel 8088 4.77Mhz + TinyTurbo 286 7.16Mhz - 256K onboard + AST SixPakPlus 384K - 20MB Miniscribe MFM - Everex EV-659 EGA + Parallel

curtisb
Gerbil XP

Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:05 pm

This link has been posted before...also includes games on the cheap.

https://www.hrkgame.com/en/games/produc ... m=software

That also page lists Office 2016 Pro Plus for $33.99. I don't know how they do it, but I haven't seen any indication that these aren't legit keys.
ASUS MAXIMUS VIII HERO | Intel Core i7-6700 | Zotac GTX 1080 8GB Mini | 2 x Corsair LPX 8GB | WD SN750 Black 500GB | 2 x Crucial MX200 500GB | 2 x WD RED Pro 4TB | Phanteks Eclipse | Seasonic X-850 | 2 x Samsung U28E590

gecko575
Gerbil

Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:05 pm

Sheesh, seems like most people are totally ok with shady ways of getting windows. Just buy a normal license :)

coolflame57
Gerbil

Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:15 pm

You could just use unactivated windows. Look here for more info. Like he says in the video, the only thing you lose out on is being able to customize wallpaper and like one other thing.

Neutronbeam
Gerbil XP

Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:35 pm

DPete27 wrote:
For $10 I'll give it a try next time I need a Win10 license on a build. (Got that link from someone else at TR)

That was me. Highly recommended for Win 10 and MSFT Office 2016 Pro and for anti-virus...bought 5 licenses and the vendor upgraded them from 1 year to 3 at no additional cost.
"the work goes on, the cause endures, the hope still lives, and the dream shall never die." -- Senator Ted Kennedy, 1980 Democratic National Convention speech

Acidicheartburn
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:33 pm

Neutronbeam wrote:
DPete27 wrote:

That was me. Highly recommended for Win 10 and MSFT Office 2016 Pro and for anti-virus...bought 5 licenses and the vendor upgraded them from 1 year to 3 at no additional cost.

Are these 10 keys OEM versions?

Bonusbartus
Gerbil

Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:46 pm

HERETIC wrote:
Acidicheartburn wrote:

jihadjoe wrote:

Bit messy,but if money is tight-
W7 licence's can be had for around $10 on ebay.
Install W7.
Update to 10
Once activated do a fresh install of 10...............
good luck.

No need, last week I installed a fresh Windows 10 pro on a laptop and activated with an old wondows 7 key I still had afterward, no problem.
(I had some leftover keys from my university msdnaa license ;) )

Also I bought a bunch of keys for windows 10 pro for €9,95 a few months ago from softkeys.nl
A friend does some pc repair for people as a hobby, and he used more than 10 of those keys on pcs running old/not so legal versions of windows without running into any problems.