Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Creation Software - Humble Bundle! Vegas Pro Edit + More

Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:46 am

https://www.humblebundle.com/software/v ... ve-freedom

I posted this in the Hot Deals section. For $20 you get all of the programs on the list.

Anyone have experience with these programs and can vouch for them? It seems like I can think of many worse ways to spend $20. I believe Vegas Pro edit is one that I've heard a lot of people go to for Youtube channel video editing after they learn they need more than Windows Movie Maker :P.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

Kougar
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Creation Software - Humble Bundle! Vegas Pro Edit + More

Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:16 am

Can't speak to the value. But I suggest you verify that the software packages are for the current version, or aren't about to be replaced with a newer version.

HB has run some promos in the past where they had a bunch of interesting OS, network, hacking/security style ebooks / textbooks, even Computer certification textbooks. But some were either for the previous version of Windows Server, or the cert books were already set to be replaced by newer certification versions within a few months.

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:03 pm

All of those book deals are up now, I saw them and assumed they were the older ones.

Yes, the Magix Vegas Pro Edit is 14, whereas version 15 is out.

The book thing makes sense, you can't use it to study for a current exam if it doesn't include the new info that will appear on the exam. For editing software though, unless there is a new feature that integral... Then save some cash and get the older version.

I paid the $20 as a good way to dabble in editing with a software (Vegas Pro) that seems to be people's go to when they move away from the starter free options.

I'm going to be starting a YouTube channel/show with a friend here soon about his life as a Chef and Dog musher here in Alaska called "Chef on the Trail", so I could use a lot of these tools for starters.

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

Kougar
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:05 am

Welch wrote:
The book thing makes sense, you can't use it to study for a current exam if it doesn't include the new info that will appear on the exam. For editing software though, unless there is a new feature that integral... Then save some cash and get the older version.

Yeah, I totally agree as long as it meets your needs. Can't beat that value. Looks like Vegas Pro software is milking the HB bundle to get people to buy into upgrades to version 15, $150 is the cost to upgrade.

Good luck with your channel aspirations! :)

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:54 pm

Kougar wrote:
Welch wrote:

Yeah, I totally agree as long as it meets your needs. Can't beat that value. Looks like Vegas Pro software is milking the HB bundle to get people to buy into upgrades to version 15, $150 is the cost to upgrade.

Good luck with your channel aspirations! :)

Thanks! Can't wait to see how this software plays out. There is always an ulterior motive for HB packages like this :P. No one gives their stuff away, even to charity.

caconym
Gerbil

Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:18 pm

Vegas is an outstanding editor, and you'll probably not chafe against the limitations of an older version unless you're doing 4k or spherical video.

I went ahead and grabbed the bundle since I need to put together a new demo reel. I'll probably never touch any of the other stuff in it.
3D art desktop: [email protected] - 32gb@2400 - 500gb m.2 850 EVO - GTX 1070 + 750ti (for PhysX) - Noctua NH-U9B - Phanteks P400
2D art laptop: Thinkpad Yoga - i7 4500u - 8gb RAM - 128gb SSD - way too many different Wacom EMR styluses