Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness
Topic Author

HR Block 2017 sucks

Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:38 am

I've been using HR Block tax software for 10+ years. It used to be called TaxCut. This year, they sent out flash drives with the software. I thought this was a good idea since I use it anyway.

However, it won't install. It throws a "date mismatch" error. I tried from the flash drive and copying the folder to the desktop. Googled around and other people had the issue. I'm running Windows 8.1 and they said to run in Windows 8 compatibility mode. Didn't work. I installed some Windows updates. I ran as administrator. Ran with antivirus off. Nothing worked.

Extremely frustrating. Oh yeah, they take your money before you can even successfully install. I will have to be calling for a refund or disputing the charge. It's the weekend so I can't call but I already read online that speaking to a human is difficult.

The worst part was, when you go to download it directly sans the flash drive, they try to get you to buy it again. There is no method to download once you've already purchased. I have the activation keys on my printed receipt but there's no method to use them.

Very frustrating experience. I guess I have to try TurboTax this year.

Darthutos
Gerbil First Class

Re: HR Block 2017 sucks

Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:51 am

1. Date Mismatch: Is your computer using the correct time/date? timezone correct?
2. When you say it didn't work when you tried to copy from flash drive to desktop, what happens? Input/Output error? Cyclic error? Preparing to copy but stuck? CTD? What exactly happen?
3. When you bought the flash drive version, did the package say compatible with Windows 8.1? Mac? Windows XP? Windows 10? Recommended system Requirement? Minimum system Requirement?

Rather than trying to speak with someone over the phone which would take you hours and hours in circles, why not go to the place where you bought the flash drive? e.g. Bestbuy, staples, Office Max, New Egg? etc? Tell them if they don't belive you (if you are at a brick and mortar store, if you are confident that it's the problem with the flash drive and not your own hardware) to try and install if on their onsite system.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness
Topic Author

Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:04 am

1. Computer is using correct timezone.
2. You can copy the flash drive to the desktop. You get the same error either way.
3. Didn't buy the flash drive - they mailed these to past purchasers. However, first step when trying to install the software is paying them. Then, the software proceeds to not install.

System requirements for this software are very broad and my computer certainly accommodates them.

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
OS Required Apple MacOS X 10.7 or later, Microsoft Windows Vista / 7 / 8.1 / 10
Software Requirements Internet Explorer 9 or later, Safari 6.1 or later
OS Family MacOS, Windows
Additional Requirements 1024 x 786 monitor resolution, 2x CD-ROM, Internet connection, SVGA monitor

Yup, real heavy duty requirements.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:55 am

Well that sucks. Just one more manifestation of something that seems pretty common in the software industry, i.e. "you don't put your A Team on the installer".

If your return isn't really complicated, just download the PDF forms from the IRS, fill them out using Adobe Reader, print and mail. Believe it or not, I still do my taxes this way. With the bump in the standard deduction, I'll have even less incentive to use tax software for 2018 since I probably won't itemize.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Darthutos
Gerbil First Class

Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:22 am

If it's just personal return and does not involve self employed business and or investments mutual funds, etc, writing by hands is really simple...

Tip: Start compiling all T4 (or corresponding tax note from employers, etc from your location) and start with all schedules (auxiliary forms), only then start the main form.

E.g. The Canadian tax forms are all connected in circles. Find item 1 from schedule 1, add item 2 from provincial schedule 1 , then add both to item 3 on schedule 1, divide by 5 percent and put the item on federal schedule on item 451. Add everything from schedule 1, but not item 4 on schedule 2. Then divide total by item 99 on T1 item 180. That is your taxable income.

Now do everything similar to figure out your non refundable tax credit, of 1 dollar....

Finally.... NB We generally do not refund refunds less than 2 cents

Believe it or not I do my tax return by paper every year.

curtisb
Gerbil XP

Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:02 pm

Did you try right clicking on the Start Here.exe and choosing Troubleshoot Compatibility? That's a suggested solution I found, and I've had that work before even when setting the compatibility mode didn't work. Another suggestion was to delete the 2017 folder in %appdata%\taxcut. At this point, I would try both...delete the folder first, and then run the Troubleshoot Compatibility wizard.
ASUS MAXIMUS VIII HERO | Intel Core i7-6700 | Zotac GTX 1080 8GB Mini | 2 x Corsair LPX 8GB | WD SN750 Black 500GB | 2 x Crucial MX200 500GB | 2 x WD RED Pro 4TB | Phanteks Eclipse | Seasonic X-850 | 2 x Samsung U28E590

TheEmrys
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:10 pm

I would contact their support folk. I bet they have a link to set you up with a free copy.
Sony a7II 55/1.8 Minolta 100/2, 17-35D, Tamron 28-75/2.8

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness
Topic Author

Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:34 pm

curtisb wrote:
Did you try right clicking on the Start Here.exe and choosing Troubleshoot Compatibility? That's a suggested solution I found, and I've had that work before even when setting the compatibility mode didn't work. Another suggestion was to delete the 2017 folder in %appdata%\taxcut. At this point, I would try both...delete the folder first, and then run the Troubleshoot Compatibility wizard.

Yes, did both of these suggestions and it didn't work.

TheEmrys wrote:
I would contact their support folk. I bet they have a link to set you up with a free copy.

Yes, will try to pursue this route.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:57 pm

just brew it! wrote:
If your return isn't really complicated, just download the PDF forms from the IRS, fill them out using Adobe Reader, print and mail. Believe it or not, I still do my taxes this way. With the bump in the standard deduction, I'll have even less incentive to use tax software for 2018 since I probably won't itemize.

I’m lazy and have used TurboTax since forever. All the information is prepopulated when you select the same as last year option and then just enter the W2 info. Takes five minutes or so. I also like being able to access all of the prior years info on their site without having to pull the tax papers out of the safe.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness
Topic Author

Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:55 am

For some unknown reason, running it in compatibility mode worked today.

I can understand those who like to file on paper, but for me e-file is more convenient. I do my Dad's state and Federal taxes as well.