Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Which classics do I want to take?

Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:01 pm

As some of you know, I'm looking at going back to school, but I'm not sure what to take. In any case I do need to learn how to use common office applications anyway, but I really want to get into programming, especially Linux programming along with writing the user documentation as well..

From the looks of things it starting to look like I need to start with the Microsoft offices stuff first since I will need that later. but what are the main programming languages for Linux?

Thanks

blitzy
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Which classics do I want to take?

Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:33 pm

Python would be a good place to start, it's cross platform and high level so you can figure out if programming is something you'd be interested in. If you really want to understand computer programming at a lower level, then C would be an avenue to look at, but it's not for the fainthearted.

If you're more interested in web stuff than traditional desktop applications, you might look at HTML / CSS and Javascript.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:19 pm

You don't necessarily get to decide if you're going for a degree. For instance, my CS coursework started in C++, then Java, and then it kinda opened up. Both C++ and Java were taught to us in a Linux environment. You don't really want to say "Linux programming" either. There are definitely things that will only work on Windows or Linux depending on what you do, but just see what is out there, what interests you, and check with an adviser to see what they think.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:01 am

Thanks guys. I have to go back Wednesday and talk to a few people.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:27 am

You might get some flexibility in a community college, but I'd expect that if you want a Associates degree that you'll take courses you don't necessarily want. These things are really more job-preparation programs or transfer degrees than anything else. For example, my path requires three courses that involved .NET programming (two VB and one C#), one course involving MSSQL Server administration. Those are great for what I want to do, but I was less enthusiastic about the Oracle SQL class, a semester of writing Linux commands, and two semesters of HTML, CSS, and some basic JavaScript.

OTOH I did get my choice of either a track involving two semesters of C++ or Java. I picked Java, but just as many people picked C++.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen