Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

EndlessWaves
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Re: Alternate software of Tuneup Utilities

Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:23 am

Those sorts of apps tend to be misguided at best and scams at worst. There's very little in a modern OS that you can tune to any measurable benefit, unless you're doing something really unusual with it (which they don't cover anyway).

G8torbyte
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:39 am

Many years ago I used to install software utility tuneup "suites" until they became just cumbersome and taking up memory resources with functions I did not need. With Windows you can tune up with basically the built-in system tools. Regular clean ups, being vigilant of malicious software and limiting boot-up to only the essential start-up programs will keep the PC from bogging down. That said I do use a few free versions of stand alone utilities like Revo Uninstaller, Malwarebytes and Glary Utilities which has some useful tools like charting out where large files are located. So I'd say no suite is perfect and there is enough out there to build your own tool box.
BTW, if you try some of the free utilities available keep an eye on the install since sometimes they'll try and throw in extra software trials etc. just uncheck the box options.
Last edited by G8torbyte on Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Later, -G8tor
Building PCs & gaming since"Chuck Yeager's Air Combat" 1991, Lurkin' around TR since 2004.
Current setups: Z390 Platform and DIY mini-ITX NAS Build

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:40 am

EndlessWaves wrote:
Those sorts of apps tend to be misguided at best and scams at worst. There's very little in a modern OS that you can tune to any measurable benefit, unless you're doing something really unusual with it (which they don't cover anyway).

100% agree!

If you need help getting rid of the cruft try ccleaner. You can get a free addon that helps it clean up even more stuff.
The built in windows disk cleanup is still recommended for deleting your old windows install and cleaning up the windows updates folder.

I still DO NOT recommend using the built in registry cleaner in CCleaner!
Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.0Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon RX 580 8gb / 500gb toshiba ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD

Yan
Gerbil XP

Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:29 am

I agree with everybody else, but if you want your programme, AVG now owns it.