Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Re: How bad is Windows 10 Really?

Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:39 pm

Hmmm well

I am on pro, so I can set my updates from not being automatic, however I still can't pick individual updates out of the list, that is a bit irritating.

The SP every 6 months, I'm kind of on the fence, I guess it's good for added features and things, but my personal preference would be more typical updates every patch Tuesday and a SP every 18 months or so. Usually they go well, but they can still break things, and when things could possibly break every 6 months, that's not good. This can be pushed out on Pro, not sure about home? I'm still on 1709.

I remember using the trial/pre-relase w10, and I find the new versions with more features, becoming like bloatware creep, but it could be placebo effect.

I wish they had a version like the Chinese government version, a basic OS with no frills, something suited to a workstation/gaming desktop (as a single user license like pro), since that is what I use my desktop for.

edit
https://www.techpowerup.com/253427/micr ... -scenarios
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:42 pm

anotherengineer wrote:
Hmmm well

I am on pro, so I can set my updates from not being automatic, however I still can't pick individual updates out of the list, that is a bit irritating.

The SP every 6 months, I'm kind of on the fence, I guess it's good for added features and things, but my personal preference would be more typical updates every patch Tuesday and a SP every 18 months or so. Usually they go well, but they can still break things, and when things could possibly break every 6 months, that's not good. This can be pushed out on Pro, not sure about home? I'm still on 1709.

I remember using the trial/pre-relase w10, and I find the new versions with more features, becoming like bloatware creep, but it could be placebo effect.

I wish they had a version like the Chinese government version, a basic OS with no frills, something suited to a workstation/gaming desktop (as a single user license like pro), since that is what I use my desktop for.

edit

That's all well and good, but that particular update wasn't exactly a "bloatware" update. It was (primarily) Retpoline! These are security updates that people SHOULD be taking. It's unfortunate that their particular implementation degraded your GPU/mouse performance for a little while until they fix it, but i'm personally willing to live with that. Just look at the list of issues in that update.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... -kb4482887

Like I said, I'm willing to live with some (hopefully) short-term degradation for the boatload of good fixes in there. That's just me though.

TPU wrote:
Even though Microsoft have specified Destiny 2 as an example of a game crippled by the update, Reddit users have reported on other, older titles being severly affected as well. One user has stated that Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 is basically unplayable because any mouse movement makes his screen freeze.

Another user claims that a similar thing has happened to him in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 where he has seen massive drops in FPS while moving his character. To make things even worse, moving the mouse has rendered his game unplayable as well, which speaks volumes about the extent of "mouse degradation" problems Microsoft warned about in their official statement.

It's not just shooter games that have had their performance degraded by the update, as action RPG titles, such as God Eater 3, have also been affected according to a reddit user who reports that his in-game performance has gone from a smooth 4K 60FPS to a "lag fest" in certain levels.

oh GOD NO NOT MODERN WARFARE TWO AND THREE??!?!?!?!? (ok i'm done)

FWIW I do think Windows should be smaller and simpler. It would go a long way, but this is where we are and what we have to accept if we want to use modern Windows.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:20 pm

DancinJack wrote:
anotherengineer wrote:
Hmmm well

edit

That's all well and good, but that particular update wasn't exactly a "bloatware" update. It was (primarily) Retpoline! These are security updates that people SHOULD be taking. It's unfortunate that their particular implementation degraded your GPU/mouse performance for a little while until they fix it, but i'm personally willing to live with that. Just look at the list of issues in that update.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... -kb4482887

Like I said, I'm willing to live with some (hopefully) short-term degradation for the boatload of good fixes in there. That's just me though.

TPU wrote:
Even though Microsoft have specified Destiny 2 as an example of a game crippled by the update, Reddit users have reported on other, older titles being severly affected as well. One user has stated that Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 is basically unplayable because any mouse movement makes his screen freeze.

Another user claims that a similar thing has happened to him in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 where he has seen massive drops in FPS while moving his character. To make things even worse, moving the mouse has rendered his game unplayable as well, which speaks volumes about the extent of "mouse degradation" problems Microsoft warned about in their official statement.

It's not just shooter games that have had their performance degraded by the update, as action RPG titles, such as God Eater 3, have also been affected according to a reddit user who reports that his in-game performance has gone from a smooth 4K 60FPS to a "lag fest" in certain levels.

oh GOD NO NOT MODERN WARFARE TWO AND THREE??!?!?!?!? (ok i'm done)

FWIW I do think Windows should be smaller and simpler. It would go a long way, but this is where we are and what we have to accept if we want to use modern Windows.

Never said it was bloatware. And I agree with you. And the few games I play are about 7years old so even if I only had 1 core left to spare it would probably still play fine :)
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

LostCat
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:23 am

DancinJack wrote:
It's unfortunate that their particular implementation degraded your GPU/mouse performance for a little while until they fix it, but i'm personally willing to live with that.

That was fixed today.
https://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-r ... -whats-new
Meow.

mikeowins
Gerbil In Training

Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:04 pm

actually, it is pretty good except for the auto update.

Yan
Gerbil XP

Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:21 am

My office has only now moved from Windows 7 to Windows 10, and pretty much everybody hates it, to my surprise and delight.

Part of the complaints are more about the switch from Office 2010 to Office 2016, however.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:42 pm

Yan wrote:
My office has only now moved from Windows 7 to Windows 10, and pretty much everybody hates it, to my surprise and delight.

Part of the complaints are more about the switch from Office 2010 to Office 2016, however.

Our office is undergoing that final transition now. Same situation, everything that wasn't replaced in the last year-ish after they started deploying WIn10 on all new equipment, is still running our stock Win7 image with Office 2010.

Frankly, I hope we DO upgrade to a newer Office version. 2013 and up not only have a cleaner look, Microsoft added some features that are really useful. One of my favorites, trivial but incredibly useful, is the ability to add table rows in Word by hovering at the edge of the table and then waiting for the little (+)=== thing to appear. Click, click, click. Delicious new rows.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:50 pm

My my I have long forgotten this thread even exist... Well after reading the most recent posts and since it now Sept 14 2020, I am going to have to ask: Has Windows 10 improved since the Day I started this Thread? Or are there still major deal breaking issues that I still have very good reasons to remain the Linux Only User I have been since sort of late 2014?

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:29 pm

whm1974 wrote:
My my I have long forgotten this thread even exist... Well after reading the most recent posts and since it now Sept 14 2020, I am going to have to ask: Has Windows 10 improved since the Day I started this Thread? Or are there still major deal breaking issues that I still have very good reasons to remain the Linux Only User I have been since sort of late 2014?

There haven't been major deal breaking issues since launch day.

/signed, Linux user, Mac user, and Windows user
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:32 am

Imaged an old HP laptop to Windows 10 this past weekend for my wife.

Aside from some partially self-inflicted pain (from me assuming I could just copy the raw ISO image to a thumbdrive and boot from it like I do with Linux), and getting annoyed at the way it tries to convince you to associate every install with a Microsoft online account, and some mild annoyance at how it makes you set multiple password reset security questions even for local accounts, the installation of Windows 10 to the laptop was trouble-free. It even let me activate with the product key from the old Windows 7 COA that was still stuck to the bottom of the laptop, even though it was a fresh install (not an upgrade), and that laptop hasn't had Windows on it for years (it has been running Ubuntu).

More pluses - audio over HDMI from the laptop actually works consistently now (had some issues with that under Linux), and full-screen videos play smoother. Another motivation to image it back to Windows is that Cisco seems to intermittently break compatibility with the WebEx browser client on Linux, and in these socially-distanced times my wife needs a laptop with reliably functioning WebEx/Zoom capability.

I poked around on the laptop for a while, and (since I was messing around with Windows 10 anyway) decided to also get my long-disused Windows 10 VM up-to-date on patches.

While I have no plans to switch back to Windows as my primary OS, Windows 10 isn't horrible.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:40 am

Waco wrote:
whm1974 wrote:

Currently as far as Windows games goes, SteamPlay(Proton) does play a good number of them on Linux. The only Windows application I do want to run on Linux would be DAZ3d. It does run using Wine, but the separate Tool used to download the Extras and Add-ons doesn't always places them correctly.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:54 am

whm1974 wrote:
Waco wrote:

Currently as far as Windows games goes, SteamPlay(Proton) does play a good number of them on Linux. The only Windows application I do want to run on Linux would be DAZ3d. It does run using Wine, but the separate Tool used to download the Extras and Add-ons doesn't always places them correctly.

So... "I have partially functional workarounds for running certain Windows apps on Linux" is relevant to the question "How bad is Windows?" (and the fact that in reality it just isn't all that bad...) in what way?

If someone needs Windows, they should probably just run Windows.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:03 am

just brew it! wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
Waco wrote:

So... "I have partially functional workarounds for running certain Windows apps on Linux" is relevant to the question "How bad is Windows?" (and the fact that in reality it just isn't all that bad...) in what way?

If someone needs Windows, they should probably just run Windows.

Your are correct about that. But since I have one SSD used for Steam Games and the other one has Linux installed and my files on it. So if I wanted to use Windows 10 I would have to buy another HDD/SSD and put it in.

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:26 am

I honestly don't see what everyone issue is.
My biggest response is this is change. Life is change. Get over it and move on.
The plants I support are slowly all moving to windows 10 and that is just the way it is.

I have it on ALL of my machines at home including the ones the family uses and it is slowly getting better and using less bandwidth for updates.
M$ is slowly figuring out that they need ONE version of windows 10 that gets support and maybe a LTSB for businesses but that is it. Thye really shouldn't try to support the last 6 versions of windows 10.
Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.0Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon RX 580 8gb / 500gb toshiba ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:18 pm

Aranarth wrote:
The plants I support are slowly all moving to windows 10 and that is just the way it is.

I have it on ALL of my machines at home including the ones the family uses and it is slowly getting better and using less bandwidth for updates.
M$ is slowly figuring out that they need ONE version of windows 10 that gets support and maybe a LTSB for businesses but that is it. Thye really shouldn't try to support the last 6 versions of windows 10.

Has Windows 10 finally moved away from Installing a bunch of updates, requiring Reboot, Updates again, another Reboot, Repeat for Hours...? May the Daemons help you if need to do updates for Applications as well.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:25 pm

Even on 7, this was easily avoided by allowing Patch Tuesday to occur on schedule.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:35 pm

Updates is one area where Microsoft still has room for improvement. But it's a lot better than it was.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:43 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Even on 7, this was easily avoided by allowing Patch Tuesday to occur on schedule.

I never used 7. The last one I used was Windows 8.0 and I had to install ClassicShell even to use the *$#@ at all. Why in Hell did Microsoft even come with the Metro GUI in the first place?

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:55 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Updates is one area where Microsoft still has room for improvement. But it's a lot better than it was.

Well I will admit the Windows 8 Updates was a Major Improvement over Previous versions of Windows.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:52 pm

whm1974 wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Well I will admit the Windows 8 Updates was a Major Improvement over Previous versions of Windows.

Yeah, maybe they'll get updates right eventually. It's still a work in progress.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:05 pm

Sorry if I am coming across as Windows 10 or Microsoft bashing. And yes I am really Biased toward both Microsoft and Windows. although I have mellowed since lets say the way I was, I don't even know....

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:43 am

whm1974 wrote:
Aranarth wrote:

Has Windows 10 finally moved away from Installing a bunch of updates, requiring Reboot, Updates again, another Reboot, Repeat for Hours...? May the Daemons help you if need to do updates for Applications as well.

Actually yes, install latest version from new usb image, install drivers using driver booster, install a couple more updates and ... done.

Or install 2004 over the top of old windows 10, then install drivers using driver booster, install a couple more updates and ... done.
Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.0Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon RX 580 8gb / 500gb toshiba ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD