Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Re: How bad is Windows 10 Really?

Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:00 pm

Kougar wrote:
anotherengineer wrote:
I guess it's a lot harder to tweak than XP or 7 lol

If you really want to tweak it then just use Ultimate Windows Tweaker 4.x That said pretty much all of of the functionality can be done within OS settings without the app and I've had very little use for it. In comparison to my time with Win 7, using tweaking apps is no longer mandatory.

I have my complaints about the invasiveness of Microsoft's apps, but they are still easy to deal with. 10AppsManager will nuke any/all of them for you. Cortana can be right-clicked and removed from the taskbar and start menu, allowing the old-style local system search only. The Win 7 style taskbar can be readily enabled with a more efficient layout.

The only thing I remember using regedit for these days was to enable the group policy management of Windows Update, which will now notify me but does not randomly start downloads anymore. And my gripes aside, Win 10 has been the most stable build of Windows I have ever used, even with the Kindle reader BSoD snafu. :lol: I wouldn't go back to Win 7 even if it offered modern features like NVMe or DX12.

So if you need apps, here you go:
Spybot Anti-Beacon
10AppsManager
Ultimate Windows Tweaker 4 (not required)

Thanks, I guess it's more getting accustomed to where things have been relocated and GUI changes.
I find ShutUp10 a decent app also.
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:11 pm

MOSFET wrote:
CScottG wrote:
You just have to put up with a fairly innocuous activation prompt if you don't want to pay.

To my surprise, this recently disappeared from the desktop of unactivated systems. I have a couple of Blue Iris systems that run 24/7 and haven't been activated ever, and they just sit there and run (exactly what they are designed for), now with no bottom-right text.

Companies collecting data: Microsoft, Google, Apple, Amazon, Facebook, Twitter, Adobe, Intuit, Home Depot, Safeway, WalMart, all Android phone makers , all US (at least) cellular network providers. I'm already tired of this - you really can't be "safe" or "isolated" no matter what. To some degree of each, luck and good practices need to be in play.

Where is your data safe? I guess we should ask Equifax.

BTW, whm1974, I have a Manjaro VM (along with various Fedoras and Ubuntus and others) and to my eyes, it looks a lot like macOS. There are FAR more Manjaro updates to deal with than Windows 10 updates (like, thousands more). There is maybe one minor Win10 update a month, maybe. The UI is coming along, although I do fret with the split personality sometimes. So I create a shortcut to things like Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services, cmd.exe, etc.

Manjaro and Windows share the rolling-release schedule too.

From my own experience and from what I'm hearing about Win10 updates, Manjaro does the rolling releases much better with fewer issues, and those issues are fixable. However you do need to keep with the updates, otherwise you will need to reinstall if you wait too long.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:41 pm

whm1974 wrote:
From my own experience and from what I'm hearing about Win10 updates, Manjaro does the rolling releases much better with fewer issues, and those issues are fixable. However you do need to keep with the updates, otherwise you will need to reinstall if you wait too long.

I will bet you all the money in my bank account that isn't true.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:56 pm

DancinJack wrote:
whm1974 wrote:

I will bet you all the money in my bank account that isn't true.

How many times do you have to reboot with major updates in Win10? With Manjaro it is only once.

Redocbew
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:08 pm

There are plenty of things about Windows update which are annoying, but it works well at what it does. The only time I've encountered multiple reboots is during a not-a-service-pack update, or after a fresh install when there's a whacking huge number of updates available, and now that I think about it I'm not sure that's still a thing with Windows 10.

I admit I don't pay much attention to it these days which is proof enough for me that it works well enough to not be an issue.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:16 pm

Redocbew wrote:
There are plenty of things about Windows update which are annoying, but it works well at what it does. The only time I've encountered multiple reboots is during a not-a-service-pack update, or after a fresh install when there's a whacking huge number of updates available, and now that I think about it I'm not sure that's still a thing with Windows 10.

I admit I don't pay much attention to it these days which is proof enough for me that it works well enough to not be an issue.

So Win10 has improved on these matters then?

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:28 pm

whm1974 wrote:

I've got the updates enabled (on all of my machines, from netbook-quality junk to my desktop) and completely ignore that they happen...so yes?
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:33 pm

Waco wrote:
whm1974 wrote:

I've got the updates enabled (on all of my machines, from netbook-quality junk to my desktop) and completely ignore that they happen...so yes?

Can you still use the computer as you are updating?

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:49 pm

whm1974 wrote:
Waco wrote:
whm1974 wrote:

I imagine it could be an issue if your OS drive is a mechanical HDD or you're marginal on RAM to begin with. Yes, Windows Update is still a bit of a resource pig, but modern systems generally have enough resources that it is less of a problem than in the past.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:10 pm

whm1974 wrote:

I have my update hours set properly and I don't ever notice them running, but I also don't run my OS on spinning rust. So I guess so, since I can't remember the last time any of them updated. The only one I can remember in the past year is my netbook since it's super low on CPU resources (but does have 8 GB of RAM).

synthtel2
Gerbil Elite

Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:16 pm

whm1974 wrote:
MOSFET wrote:
BTW, whm1974, I have a Manjaro VM (along with various Fedoras and Ubuntus and others) and to my eyes, it looks a lot like macOS. There are FAR more Manjaro updates to deal with than Windows 10 updates (like, thousands more). There is maybe one minor Win10 update a month, maybe. The UI is coming along, although I do fret with the split personality sometimes. So I create a shortcut to things like Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services, cmd.exe, etc.

Manjaro and Windows share the rolling-release schedule too.

I can't speak for Manjaro directly, but it's based on Arch. On Arch, it's a once-a-week (or whenever you feel like it) manual operation that has to download 500-ish MB usually (more if you've waited too long between updates or have a ton of packages installed) and installs in hardly more than the time taken to decompress the new packages from .xz and replace the relevant files. It needs a reboot to fully take effect, but it's a perfectly normal/fast reboot and you can finish what you're doing at your leisure before rebooting.

I've been running Arch (sometimes on multiple machines) for probably going on five years now, and have had only three problems blamable on Arch or its package management. The first was what whm said - a machine wasn't booted for a year, and needed a reinstall because Arch couldn't handle that big a gap in updates. The second was when they pushed a particular update to how the Nvidia proprietary driver interfaces with the rest of the graphics stack before it was production-ready (nobody at all had even claimed it was production-ready), and I had to set an environment variable when launching Steam to get a few games working again. The third was when they depreciated X11's own input handling in favor of libinput, which was quite shocking when my acceleration-free config disappeared in favor of the worst abomination of an acceleration curve anyone ever thought might be production-ready. My libinput rant is a rant, so it'll suffice to say that one was fixable. Anyway, that record makes Arch updates substantially more solid than Win10 updates in my experience.

If Manjaro is really pushing updates that often, I suspect they've messed something up. Within the general framework of Arch updates, there's really no cause to be updating more often than weekly or thereabouts, and every update that gets run is cause for a reboot. With a relaxed post-update reboot policy, users are going to notice breakage at some point (Wine programs not being runnable is a common one I've seen) and may not realize that rebooting is the fix. More aggressive post-update reboot policies combined with frequent updates are just obnoxious, as many Windows users can attest.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:20 pm

On Arch, $DEITY help you if you don't think to check the webpage before installing updates with pacman. Pacman thinks nothing of installing an update that will break your system if you don't do exactly the steps detailed on Arch's front page, nor (last I used it) will it even notify you "hey, you really should do these things first, y/n?".

Debian and apt are considerably less dickish.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:20 pm

synthtel2 wrote:
Anyway, that record makes Arch updates substantially more solid than Win10 updates in my experience.

Really? My Win10 desktop has never ceased functioning for a task just because of a background update. What did Windows 10 screw up so badly that Manjaro is better?

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:38 pm

Honest to goodness, I never even touch Windows update on my machine. I have active hours set properly for it to update and restart when I'm asleep, and it doesn't even require a reboot every update. I'm sure some people have issues with their systems, but seriously, Windows 10 has quite literally never borked on an update for me personally, and I only reboot the machine when the updates require it (which is far less often than once a week).

edit: Maybe Waco and I's luck has to do with Z170+6700K+16GB of RAM + Nvidia graphics + Seasonic PSU. Joking, but I am always a little miffed when the horror stories come out because I have experienced precisely none of them.
Last edited by DancinJack on Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:45 pm

I have had a few problems that I've attributed to bad updates, mainly on my users' computers. At any rate, they popped up right after Patch Tuesdays and doing a system restore to a day or so before would always fix those. I can't say what the true underlying problem was - maybe some marginal RAM, maybe the user got impatient and shut it off, maybe WU doesn't do an equivalent of sha1sum on downloaded updates before installing them and there was a dodgy network connection.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

synthtel2
Gerbil Elite

Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:21 pm

bthylafh wrote:
On Arch, $DEITY help you if you don't think to check the webpage before installing updates with pacman. Pacman thinks nothing of installing an update that will break your system if you don't do exactly the steps detailed on Arch's front page, nor (last I used it) will it even notify you "hey, you really should do these things first, y/n?".

Debian and apt are considerably less dickish.

True. Knowing that's how they do things, it doesn't feel like a particularly onerous requirement, but there are better ways they could communicate such things. (They do have a mailing list for those changes - it's still definitely not ideal, but probably better than just checking their site.) I don't think of it as a pacman problem so much as a rolling release problem, though I could be way off base. Something with stronger versioning has a well-defined place to make changes like that, and without that it's a bit tricky. I prefer Arch's way to any kind of half-baked automated system, if that would be the alternative.

The average effort this adds to updating is very low, as changes requiring manual intervention are quite rare. Here's that news page, for reference, and I find that maybe one of those entries per year requires me to do anything before updating.

It does sound like quite a pain for Antergos and Manjaro to handle, and I'm curious how they do it (but apparently not curious enough to go find out).

DancinJack wrote:
edit: Maybe Waco and I's luck has to do with Z170+6700K+16GB of RAM + Nvidia graphics + Seasonic PSU. Joking, but I am always a little miffed when the horror stories come out because I have experienced precisely none of them.
bthylafh wrote:
mainly on my users' computers.

Not so sure that's a joke. On reasonably powerful SSD-equipped machines, Win10 seems to be doing mostly fine these days. When dealing with Atom-class CPUs and/or spinning rust, I still see it do all kinds of nonsensical things (some update related, more of them not). It almost feels like they handled some not-entirely-critical synchronization issues by going "that other task has had two whole seconds to do its thing, it's gotta be done by now amirite?"

Waco wrote:
Really? My Win10 desktop has never ceased functioning for a task just because of a background update. What did Windows 10 screw up so badly that Manjaro is better?

Most commonly I see machines stuck updating in infinite loops in which WU hogs CPU time / IOPS / downlink indefinitely (many hours on every boot) without ever actually managing to commit any updates. Depending on the hardware, internet connection, and use case, this can be anything from a moderate annoyance to a complete show-stopper. 1710's update throttling will have made that massively better, but it's still a security hole. Theoretically there are proper in-place fixes for it, but I've never been able to make any of them work for various reasons (like Win10 Home not giving me the permissions needed), and have always side-stepped the issue somehow (manually installing 1703 did the trick when it happened on my main rig).

There was also that one time that nothing I did could get the right graphics driver to install on one system. WU would constantly replace my work with its own incorrect guess, and none of the overrides designed to prevent that did anything. (Settings like those overrides not having any effect is one of the common themes I've noticed with Win10 on weak systems.)

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:43 pm

If Arch/Manjaro are requiring reboots every time you install updates, they're doing something wrong. In general, the only time a reboot is necessary on Debian/Ubuntu is if you're replacing the kernel or device drivers. And even in those cases, you're free to keep working and postpone the reboot until it is convenient for you (the system will quite happily continue running on the old kernel/drivers until then).

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:13 pm

just brew it! wrote:
If Arch/Manjaro are requiring reboots every time you install updates, they're doing something wrong. In general, the only time a reboot is necessary on Debian/Ubuntu is if you're replacing the kernel or device drivers. And even in those cases, you're free to keep working and postpone the reboot until it is convenient for you (the system will quite happily continue running on the old kernel/drivers until then).

Actually Manjaro doesn't require me to reboot after every update unless the kernel/device drivers has been updated.

MOSFET
Gerbil XP

Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:31 am

DancinJack wrote:
Joking,
Well...to go a little OT

My most stable non-server system is Asus ROG Strix Z270G + i5-7600K @ 4.8 + Nvidia graphics + Samsung NVMe SSD + Seasonic PSU + 32GB DDR4-3200 @ 2800 (yes, this TridentZ failed miserably at 3200 here and in X370+Ryzen5, but it was my mistake to buy 4x8GB). This system, even overclocked, is as stable as any server, as long as the RAM is <=2800. The CPU is plenty stable at 5G but heat and power draw go just beyond my level of reasonable. Voltage/LLC/etc all Auto. This is a rarely rebooted Win10 Pro install with IMO plenty of work bloat, including Veeam Agent (upgraded from Endpoint Backup) whose SQL Server just about never shuts up.

My less stable and less smooth main home system is Asus ROG Strix X370-F + Ryzen 5 1600 @ Auto + Nvidia graphics + Samsung NVMe SSD + Seasonic PSU + 32GB DDR4-2400 (2x16GB Mushkin, since the 4x8 TridentZ failed so miserably at any speed in this board). I have a second Ryzen 5 1600 system - they both seem to have extremely fragile, almost faulty, memory controllers. I have to settle for DDR4-2400 as long as I also settle for ~monthly crashes. One runs Windows 10, one runs ESXi 6.5. Both almost always report memory management in the BSOD/PSOD. Functioning ECC would probably help, but I guess it ain't gonna happen. At least both OSes are resilient enough to hop right back up and boot normally again with no fuss.
Be careful on inserting this (or any G34 chip) into the socket. Once you pull that restraining lever, it is either a good install or a piece of silicon jewelry.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:34 am

MOSFET wrote:
Well...to go a little OT
My less stable and less smooth main home system is Asus ROG Strix X370-F + Ryzen 5 1600 @ Auto + Nvidia graphics + Samsung NVMe SSD + Seasonic PSU + 32GB DDR4-2400 (2x16GB Mushkin, since the 4x8 TridentZ failed so miserably at any speed in this board). I have a second Ryzen 5 1600 system - they both seem to have extremely fragile, almost faulty, memory controllers. I have to settle for DDR4-2400 as long as I also settle for ~monthly crashes. One runs Windows 10, one runs ESXi 6.5. Both almost always report memory management in the BSOD/PSOD.

Is the second system running a ROG Strix X370-F as well? If so, maybe there's an issue with the layout of the memory bus traces on that board which is aggravating the memory stability issue. Monthly crashes are unacceptable IMO.

Are you running the latest firmware? What AGESA version?

MOSFET wrote:
Functioning ECC would probably help, but I guess it ain't gonna happen.

Because the boards you're using don't support it, or because you're not willing to shell out for new RAM at current prices?

FWIW the manual for ROG Strix X370-F says non-ECC, but the current spec page on their web site says ECC or non-ECC if you're running a Ryzen (as opposed to 7th gen A-series). The situation regarding ECC support on AM4/Ryzen was a dumpster fire at product launch, and seems to have gotten only marginally less confusing since then.

MOSFET wrote:
At least both OSes are resilient enough to hop right back up and boot normally again with no fuss.

You can thank the fact that all modern OSes use journaling file systems for this.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:40 pm

MOSFET wrote:
DancinJack wrote:
Joking,
Well...to go a little OT

My most stable non-server system is Asus ROG Strix Z270G + i5-7600K @ 4.8 + Nvidia graphics + Samsung NVMe SSD + Seasonic PSU + 32GB DDR4-3200 @ 2800 (yes, this TridentZ failed miserably at 3200 here and in X370+Ryzen5, but it was my mistake to buy 4x8GB). This system, even overclocked, is as stable as any server, as long as the RAM is <=2800. The CPU is plenty stable at 5G but heat and power draw go just beyond my level of reasonable. Voltage/LLC/etc all Auto. This is a rarely rebooted Win10 Pro install with IMO plenty of work bloat, including Veeam Agent (upgraded from Endpoint Backup) whose SQL Server just about never shuts up.

My less stable and less smooth main home system is Asus ROG Strix X370-F + Ryzen 5 1600 @ Auto + Nvidia graphics + Samsung NVMe SSD + Seasonic PSU + 32GB DDR4-2400 (2x16GB Mushkin, since the 4x8 TridentZ failed so miserably at any speed in this board). I have a second Ryzen 5 1600 system - they both seem to have extremely fragile, almost faulty, memory controllers. I have to settle for DDR4-2400 as long as I also settle for ~monthly crashes. One runs Windows 10, one runs ESXi 6.5. Both almost always report memory management in the BSOD/PSOD. Functioning ECC would probably help, but I guess it ain't gonna happen. At least both OSes are resilient enough to hop right back up and boot normally again with no fuss.

Funny. Yeah, I'm running an i7-6700K @ 4.5 (always) + 16GB Corsair RAM (3200MHz - and honestly just liked the look better than G.Skill but it had the same specs as a G.Skill kit) + GTX 1080 (@ stock) + Samsung 950 Pro 512GB (It's actually getting a bit older now, I got it very early on) + Seasonic Plat 600W (<3 their plat and titanium lines, so good). And yeah man, I just don't have issues with this PC. Like I said earlier I just don't reboot or shut down unless it's for an update and sincerely do not have any other regular issues with software or hardware. I could definitely run some mission crticial stuff (for me, personally) on this computer and not worry too much about anything (except, obvs, backups all day errday).

I definitely feel like Intel's memory controller is way, way, way easier to deal with than Ryzen's. Though, we're talking a brand new product. I imagine AMD will have better luck with Ryzen 2 or Ryzen Plus or whatever the next iteration is. I seriously change one setting in the UEFI to XMP and it does the rest for me and I never have to fuss with it on my 6700K + Z170 board.

The Egg

Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:29 pm

MOSFET wrote:
My less stable and less smooth main home system is Asus ROG Strix X370-F + Ryzen 5 1600 @ Auto

The "@ Auto" explains any problems you're having. The very first thing I do upon booting a new system is to turn off any automatic BIOS overclocking crap. I'd rather not have my voltages and RAM timings adjusted wildly depending on the direction of the breeze.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:00 pm

The Egg wrote:
MOSFET wrote:
My less stable and less smooth main home system is Asus ROG Strix X370-F + Ryzen 5 1600 @ Auto

The "@ Auto" explains any problems you're having. The very first thing I do upon booting a new system is to turn off any automatic BIOS overclocking crap. I'd rather not have my voltages and RAM timings adjusted wildly depending on the direction of the breeze.

Amen.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:11 pm

"Auto" doesn't mean automatic overclocking. Generally it means CPU at stock clock and voltage, and RAM per the SPD.

synthtel2
Gerbil Elite

Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:36 pm

just brew it! wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
Actually Manjaro doesn't require me to reboot after every update unless the kernel/device drivers has been updated.

AFAIK all Linux package managers do all their work with the system active and rely on some Linux filesystem magic to keep everything working smoothly until the next reboot. Files already opened stick around in their old version until closed, and the new version shows up for anything newly opening the file. Usually this works flawlessly, but consider the case of opening Steam in Wine, doing a system update (which could include updating Wine), and then launching some Windows game from Steam. The already-running wineserver sees different versions of things than the launched game does, and IME the game tends to crash on launch with completely unhelpful error messages.

Nominally, Arch only requires reboots to make kernel/driver updates take effect, same as any other distro. Realistically, there's marginally more potential for trouble than that, and AFAIK it applies to any distro. Arch just brings out a bit more of that trouble because it updates so much more aggressively than the likes of Debian or Ubuntu. Manjaro is definitely not immune.

On my own machines, I prefer Linux's way of doing it. For average users, Linux's way of doing it is a non-trivial problem.

MOSFET wrote:
I have to settle for DDR4-2400 as long as I also settle for ~monthly crashes. One runs Windows 10, one runs ESXi 6.5. Both almost always report memory management in the BSOD/PSOD. Functioning ECC would probably help, but I guess it ain't gonna happen. At least both OSes are resilient enough to hop right back up and boot normally again with no fuss.

Are you sure that isn't the known idle crash bug? If it is, the usual fix is to bump VSoC way up (as if running 2800+ RAM), but disabling global C-state control also works with a surprisingly small difference in idle power consumption.

Kougar

Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:02 pm

The Egg wrote:
MOSFET wrote:

Seconded. This cannot be emphasized enough.

I would bet a large proportion of "unstable" systems people have reported since the haswell era were never stable to begin with because of auto-OCing, or incompatible XMP profiles. Got to experience both with new builds on the Haswell generation, which didn't leave me with a favorable impression of Gigabyte nor ASUS. Auto-OC settings should never default to enabled.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:16 pm

Data point: my current and previous Asus motherboards have auto OC that has been quite stable, for six years in the case of the old i5-2500K system, and neither was defaulted to being on.

Mind you, on the new i7-8700K system I had to use the mild OC setting; the stronger OC was a tad unstable, for all that it was neat to see it hit 5 GHz on air cooling.
Hakkaa päälle!

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:37 pm

Another data point: I have never owned a motherboard that messed around with XMP settings unless I specifically told it to "OC my stuff" or touched the actual XMP settings. The only thing I have seen is the MCE stuff that boosts GHz and voltage on the CPU. Which, in my case, has never not been stable on my machines. /shrug again

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:45 pm

holy thread derail
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:21 pm

Welcome to the Internet. It's been like this since Usenet was the cool new thing.
Hakkaa päälle!