Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Re: Child Proofing the digital world

Mon May 21, 2018 9:07 am

I think search engines and other stuff like that is going to be a instill moral in your child and then trust their behavior. You can't shelter them forever (nor would you want to). The age of giving that freedom is going to be completely dependent on the child. Also, don't except perfection. Speaking just for myself, honesty and transparency in the dad->child relationship is more important than strict rules and filters.

Kretschmer
Gerbil XP

Mon May 21, 2018 10:05 am

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Netflix minorly updated their parental settings
https://media.netflix.com/en/company-bl ... ed-viewing

I just wish they would add an opt-in feature to the kids profiles so they could only see things that were specifically added. Instead this new setting would let you blacklist shows/movies. So close!

That's insane. Netflix has about 6,000 movies and 1,600 TV shows available. Assuming you can blacklist by series (and not episode), it would still be a part-time job trying to keep your list up to date. Why would the obvious be the last thing implemented?

Kretschmer
Gerbil XP

Mon May 21, 2018 10:18 am

ludi wrote:
layerup wrote:
As an additional side effect, if you are limiting what kids/teens can see/experience, it will make them disdainful of your rules.

Disagree and have adequate experience to do so. Partly it depends on the child's personality, but even more so it depends on whether the parent has taught their children to merely fear them, or to respect them. A child who respects their parents' authority is typically one who understands the rules are not capricious or arbitrary, and has likewise learned the relationship between freedom and responsibility.

It's more or less impossible to raise children to understand that ALL rules are not "capricious or arbitrary," and the level of conditioning required to do so would likely be detrimental to curiosity and personal growth. Kids are hardwired to push boundaries and believe that their parents can't possibly understand their unique perspectives. Parents themselves might also be overly cautious in evaluating potential risks that they are unfamiliar with. I was exposed to gory video games many years earlier than my parents would have approved of without ill effects, but they would have been mortified and horrified to know that I was fragging invaders in Doom 2 at ten years old.

The best approach would be to raise children with positive role models, a loving environment, a strong sense of ethics, and a reasonable amount of filtering during formative years. They WILL go around your rules and be exposed to the worst of humanity through friends and unfiltered media; all you can do is minimize access and give them the tools to properly process the dregs. It's also takes a lot of work to curate enough curiosity and passion to keep kids (or the adults they become) from being entirely tethered to media.

pink_flower
Gerbil

Tue May 29, 2018 4:16 am

Chuckaluphagus wrote:
pink_flower wrote:
What about the kid search engines? Are they going to get the job done or it just protects the pics and articles and not videos?

I was not even aware this was a thing. I'm going to put on my Grumpy Dad Hat and suggest, "No." Unless every result is something specifically curated by human beings (and this is setting aside the fallibility of human judgment), there are going to be results popping up that you won't want your child to see. 20 years and maybe billions of dollars have been thrown at creating algorithms to detect and filter "objectionable" material on the Internet, and they just do not work effectively when used in the real-world.

Okay, so I tried digging a bit more info on this, and I found out that there are some search engines that can actually filter videos. Some of them are listed here , followed by an explanation of their exact functions. The one that caught my eye was the SadeSearchKids. It is stated to have safe search, images, wiki, and videos. Not sure it works effectively, though it is stated to do it all. :roll: