Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Need help finding problem ad

Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:31 pm

I'm helping a site i frequent try to hunt down a problem set of scam ads presumably coming from one source at this point. Thanks to the google targeting setup, there are people that don't experience it, and people who are delivered it every time. It's of the page forced replacement variety so it's pretty damaging to the users enjoyment. The ad seems to target phones.

Google wants a charles session of the ad procing because they have no idea where it's coming from. I set up a virtual copy of my phone that's using a charles proxy to track the things they need. The problem is i can't get the ad to deliver to me.

Does anyone have any ideas about how to more quickly randomize the ads that i'm delivered, or any controlled way to work towards the problem ads?
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Redocbew
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Need help finding problem ad

Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:14 pm

Do some random googling from your proxy on the topic of the ad? Maybe that'll help seed the randomizer with the correct information.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:48 am

Redocbew wrote:
Do some random googling from your proxy on the topic of the ad? Maybe that'll help seed the randomizer with the correct information.

I did do that. They seem to be scam, "you won a new Samsung" or other phone/pad so I did a bunch of searching on that stuff. Still no luck.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Redocbew
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:45 am

The next thing I'd do is probably to use something like Selenium to automate the testing process. That would help with brute forcing the ad selection process, but you'd also need a way extract the ad that's being displayed on each run.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:56 pm

What's the site? I'll give it a try.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100