Personal computing discussed

Moderator: Dposcorp

FireGryphon
Gold subscriber
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Chrome keeps crashing! Help!

Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:29 pm

It's been so long since I've had to troubleshoot something that I forgot how to do it. Chrome kept crashing when I tried to open the browser. I'd hit 'close program', and it'd keep popping up with the same error. I uninstalled it and reinstalled it, and I keep getting the 'crashed' error that continuously pops up, but if I click 'close program' a dozen or so times it eventually relents and I can use the browser. I get the 'app has crashed, please close' error periodically but it doesn't do much. I can use the browser. This is all in Windows 8.1. This is bizarre; please help.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

DancinJack
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: Chrome keeps crashing! Help!

Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:30 pm

No idea dude. I'd start by thoroughly uninstalling Chrome. Like go through the registry, appdata etc etc etc. It drops stuff in a ton of different places and data lingers if you don't get it all. I'm on W10 but Chrome has been rock solid for me for years, albeit using too much RAM IMO.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:32 pm

Google occasionally releases buggy versions. You might try just going back to the previous one, or waiting for the next one to drop.

A couple of months ago I got a version of Chrome (on Linux) that would consistently hang on shutdown. The problem fixed itself with the subsequent update.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

mmp121
Gerbil

Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:20 pm

FireGryphon wrote:
It's been so long since I've had to troubleshoot something that I forgot how to do it. Chrome kept crashing when I tried to open the browser. I'd hit 'close program', and it'd keep popping up with the same error. I uninstalled it and reinstalled it, and I keep getting the 'crashed' error that continuously pops up, but if I click 'close program' a dozen or so times it eventually relents and I can use the browser. I get the 'app has crashed, please close' error periodically but it doesn't do much. I can use the browser. This is all in Windows 8.1. This is bizarre; please help.

There's your problem! :)

You haven't given much input on your system specs, so I can only generalize. Maybe you could do a screen cap of the error message (if any)?

First you can try installing different versions (32-bit or 64-bit).
You can also install Revo Uninstaller (free version) and see if it can help do a deeper uninstall of chrome.
I would also run a memtest on your RAM.
Also you should check your HDD (assuming you have a hdd and not SSD) for errors.

Those are the basics.

Good luck!